Teachers World Letters, Jan 1930 - July 1934

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Enid Blyton's Weekly Letters in Teachers World

Post by Daisy »

Glad you had the same result Tony. Yes, the cure grows near the cause!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Gosh I thought that was a well known thing, since I was a small boy (and that wasn't last year!) I have always rubbed a dock leaf onto any nettle sting and the pain goes instantly. I have found it is almost always the case that docks grow in the close vicinity of nettles - or I have just been lucky all my life! :D
My friends and I also used dock leaves when we got stung by nettles and I’m talking about the late 1940s/early 1950s. As you say, Tony, dock leaves always seem to grow in the close vicinity of nettles.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Dock leaves were also covered on "Reality on a Secret Island".
Here's a link to it.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... es#p330514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found the leaves very useful in the 1970s and occasionally to this day. They must like the same conditions as they always appear to grow near stinging nettles.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too have always used dock leaves on nettle stings.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

And so have I. I've found that they tend to grow near nettles too, which is very handy! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enid's description of "a wild, beautiful day, a day of dazzling sun, purple shadows and tossing wind" strikes a chord as the day before yesterday was exactly like that here in Essex!

Poor Sandy, having unpleasant and painful encounters with a hedgehog, a toad and a bee.

The puzzle-poem is easy to work out but lovely to read.

Thanks very much to Tony for putting up these pages each week.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

When Enid mentions a 'wood dove' she must mean a wood pigeon, perhaps they were rarer in Enid's day, we have hundreds where I live, I've no need to look up a picture of one. A nice little story and puzzle poem this week, thank you Tony.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Kate Mary wrote:When Enid mentions a 'wood dove' she must mean a wood pigeon, perhaps they were rarer in Enid's day, we have hundreds where I live, I've no need to look up a picture of one.
I would assume so too, except for Enid's description — she calls it a "pretty little wood-dove", and wood pigeons are anything but little (I remember how amazed I was, when I first came to the UK, to see how much more massive they are than ordinary town pigeons). Also, she describes it as calling "croo, croo, croo", which doesn't sound like a wood pigeon — they always call "croo croooooo croo, croo-croo", in a very distinctive way. (One of my books transcribes it as the wood pigeon's answer to a Welshman who had just stolen a cow: "Steal twoooooo cows, Taffy." :lol: ) Enid is usually pretty diligent with how she describes bird calls, so I wouldn't think she'd have got it so far off the mark if it really was a wood pigeon.

There are only 5 species of pigeons and doves in the UK in total (I'm checking the RSPB's website as I type! :wink: ), so that doesn't leave a lot of scope. The turtle dove has a very long "purring" kind of coo, so that doesn't seem likely. The collared dove is small and does have a triple cooing call, but according to the website, it's only been found in the UK since the 1950s (self-introduced) and of course Enid is writing in the 1930s. So I can only guess that by "wood-dove" she means what's now called a stock dove. It looks rather like a common pigeon (rock dove) but is smaller, and it does have a repeated "croo" call (though more than three croos at a time, going by the RSPB's recording!). So that's what my money's on, so to speak.

Aha, I've just gone looking online to see if the stock dove has any alternative traditional names and found this useful website that I think solves the mystery... :D 21 Facts on Stock Doves
20. There are many regional names for this dove, ranging from blue rock to wood dove, cushat, sand pigeon and stoggie.
Lovely letters again — I especially enjoyed Bobs'. Poor old Sandy!! I had to laugh at the thought of Bobs in a cap and apron as his nursemaid!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enid is lucky to have a moorhen nesting in her garden. I've come across several moorhens' nests in the countryside or parks this year and it's delightful to see the chicks - each one a little ball of black fluff with a red-and-yellow beak poking out. Enid doesn't shy away from telling her readers a sad tale about her moorhen family though.

'The Caterpillar and the Butterfly' is a wonderful poem - rhythmic, engaging, informative and humorous. One of Enid Blyton's best!

Thanks, Tony!

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Lovely letters again this week. I notice Bobs' letter, unlike Enid's, doesn't make any mention of his faux pas with the father moorhen!! :shock: We have moorhens in Australia too — a native species, but very similar to the British ones — and I love seeing them with their chicks. I did enjoy Bobs fulfilling the fisherman's wish for a "bite"! :lol:

"The Boast that Came True" is a simple and fairly predictable but amusing little story — sounds like an earlier version of Binkle and Flip — and "The Caterpillar and the Butterfly" was delightful, though I'm a little baffled as to why the butterfly apparently didn't remember its origins at all! I do remember at least one later Blyton story in which the butterflies (or moths?) give a party for the caterpillars to teach them about what life will be like when they too become butterflies, and the caterpillars don't believe any of it, but of course it comes about soon enough... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Another delightful page - I wonder how mamy teachers used it... I would have loved to have it as a resource in my teaching days.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Enid was doing sterling work collecting silver paper for the children's hospital. I checked the amounts on the Bank of England inflation calculator, £65 in 1934 is over £4,422 and £12 is over £816 in today's money. These must have seemed fabulous amounts to children then and they felt they were doing their bit for sick children. I bet this won't be mentioned in the new biography 'The Real Enid Blyton'.

The Caterpillar and the Butterfly is another gorgeous poem and one in which the children get the joke even when the creatures in the poem don't.

Great stuff, thank you Tony.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=1196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A gloriously summery page this week, with mentions of a seaside holiday, steamers, hollyhocks, rambling roses, raspberries, etc.

Poor Bobs, afraid of being a "Manx dog"! :lol:

Dorothy Tredwin's riddle kept me occupied for a minute or two.

Thanks, Tony!

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

A lovely description of Enid's seaside holiday this week, she was lucky to see the Mauritania, it must have been one of its last Atlantic crossings, it was taken out of service later that year. The Salt, Salt Sea is a grand little story that I haven't read before, but I'm still puzzling over Dorothy's riddle-me-ree.
Last edited by Kate Mary on 18 Jul 2018, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

What delightful letters this week! :D I love Enid's description of the Isle of Wight and Gillian's reaction to the sea, and poor old Bobs having to stay at home and guard the house and wishing he had a burglar to bite — and not wanting to become a Manx dog! :lol:

I also haven't figured out the riddle-me-ree yet — it helps when the line at the end gives you a clue as to what the whole word is! But I'll keep working on it.

"The Salt, Salt Sea" is another lovely "how it came to be" story from Enid — actually, it bears some resemblance to a Chinese legend I had in a book as a child, though I don't know if Enid would ever have read it. It was about an honest and kind man who was given a magic stone grinder that would produce anything it was asked, but would only start when asked with a "please" and only stop when told "thank you". His mean and greedy older brother promptly stole the grinder and took it away on a ship and asked it to please grind him some salt, which he was intending to sell in a far country for lots of money. So it did, but in his greed the wicked brother forgot that he had to say "thank you" to make the grinder stop, so it went on and on pouring out salt until the ship sank under the weight, and then of course they say it's still grinding away somewhere under the sea... :wink:
Society Member