RIP Matthew Perry

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

RIP Matthew Perry

Post by Katharine »

Only 54, very sad news.

I have all the Friends DVDs, and am currently up to Series 8 in another re-watch of the entire series.

I think Chandler was possibly my favourite character.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: RIP Matthew Perry

Post by Bertie »

Very sad news.
While I mostly re-watch English sitcoms from the 70's and 80's, I did / still do really like the 'big three' 90's US sitcoms in Seinfeld, Frasier and Friends. And, with the latter, Matt Perry's Chandler was always my favourite character.
It was always a worry with his many addictions over the years, but the suddenness of it still comes as a sad shock.
Society Member
timv

Re: RIP Matthew Perry

Post by timv »

Really sad news about Matthew Perry, though all the problems that he had over the years made me aware that there was always the risk of something tragic happening.

I only caught up with 'Friends' in series 3 in the late 1990s, and at the time was more into 'Frasier' , but then I got caught up in the story and the six main characters' lives - a clever mix of humour, affection (you could see that for once the actors were genuinely fond of each other), genuinely touching moments, and fast-paced witty verbal interaction in which Chandler was the master. The characters also seemed to be cleverly exaggerated versions of their real selves in most cases, which is always difficult to pull off but is the sign of good and thoughtful writing/planning . The Chandler/ Joey relationship was genuinely warm and well-written and acted, and this and the unlikely but successful pairing-up of the equally insecure and neurotic Chandler and Monica was more interesting to me than the everlasting 'on-off' story of Ross and Rachel. The show had more depth at times than many US sitcoms, though it perhaps did get a bit 'samey' towards the end, and the international impact of it on a generation was amazing - with Matthew making his own contribution to the memorable one-liners too . A genuine and unpretentious superstar. RIP.
Society Member