Any News of Pete?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Any News of Pete?

Post by Fiona1986 »

It was me who spoke to Francis’ wife, I must have had his address from us posting each other things and I wrote to her, having met her on the Enid Blyton tour of Beckenham and had lunch with the pair of them so I felt I knew her at least slightly. I included my phone number and she was kind enough to call me and explain the situation.

Pete could be absent for a number of reasons, I don’t think that there would be anything wrong with one person reaching out by letter just to express our/their concern.

I’ve just had a Facebook message from a mutual friend who has Pete’s address so I would be happy to write (Pete and I don’t correspond regularly but we do email from time to time, he has always been very generous with sending magazines and scans of Blyton content) or I can pass it on if someone who knows him better would like to be the one to write.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Fiona1986 wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 19:06
I’ve just had a Facebook message from a mutual friend who has Pete’s address so I would be happy to write
Good idea
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've just come back from Tony's and, given the circumstances, we've decided to post Pete a card tomorrow saying that people have noticed he hasn't been around and that everyone hopes he's okay and we wish him all the best.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Would it be better to send a letter, rather than a card, as a card can be read by anyone?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I mean a card in an envelope (a bit like a birthday card, but one that has nothing printed inside so it's possible to write one's own message).

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks, Tony, for sending a card. I hope we don't receive bad news.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yes thanks Tony, Anita and Fiona for all being willing to write to find out about Pete. The news may well not be want to hear but it's important to find out and, hopefully, it'll be more positive than we all fear.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Fiona1986 wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 19:06 It was me who spoke to Francis’ wife, I must have had his address from us posting each other things and I wrote to her, having met her on the Enid Blyton tour of Beckenham and had lunch with the pair of them so I felt I knew her at least slightly. I included my phone number and she was kind enough to call me and explain the situation.
Yes, I remembered it was you, Fiona, but didn't like to name names when you hadn't been in on this discussion so far. :wink:

Anyway, many thanks to Anita and Tony (and to Fiona also for offering) — let's hope we do have news of Pete soon and it's nothing too serious.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks to Tony and Anita for putting this together and to Fiona for offering. Of course he may not respond to this either but at least we will know that we have tried everything we can.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Many thanks to Tony and Anita (and also to Fiona) and hopefully we will soon have some news. While I am still hoping for good news, even if the news is bad I feel that knowing the reason for the sudden silence is better than the uncertainty of not knowing
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The card has now been posted so we've done what we can. I hope we get some news.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hopefully even if Pete himself can't or won't respond, his wife or another family member at his home will read the card and perhaps contact Anita or Tony to let them know what's happened, if they (Pete's family) feel that's appropriate. As others have said, at least we know everything possible has now been done to try to make contact.

I don't know Pete personally, but I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to any fellow EBS member and I'd be grateful to know he's OK — or if it is bad news, I'm sure his family will appreciate knowing his online friends and fellow forum members are thinking of him.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just remembering this discussion and seeing it's been almost 3 weeks now since Anita and Tony sent the card to Pete — has anyone heard anything further, from him or his family?
Society Member

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sadly no news as yet. A few of us have written letters to his home address and given numerous text to his mobile phone, but no response.

Nigel and I had the idea of trying to find the nursing home where Pete's wife works, but decided that maybe they wouldn't give us out any information, due to data protection. So it's now a case of hoping someone will respond to emails and letters.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

It seems very odd to me that Mrs Pete isn't answering letters from friends.

Have they BOTH disappeared into thin air? :?
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017