We Meet Again

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

We Meet Again

Post by Moonraker »

Saturday 17th June was a very special reunion day. Sixteen years ago, at a village hall in Twyford, I met a twelve-year-old girl who became a good friend. We had corresponded through the forums and certainly connected. On Saturday 12th May, 2007, we met. On arrival at Loddon Hall, our esteemed leader greeted me and said, "Ming's inside!" This young girl had travelled from Bangladesh to London alone, and was to stay with her uncle and aunt in north London. I grabbed her and said, "Hello!" She also spent a few days at our home, where we took her to see Stonehenge and the highlight, the Cave of Books!

It was good to meet her and to take her to the annual picnic afterwards (all right, so I got completely lost!). Ming gelled with everyone, and this was an occasion when Gary and Marcus were in attendance. Many of you will remember Ming and would have met her at Twyford, so I thought you might be interested to see some photos:

Gary, Ming and Marcus (2007)

Ming and myself at 'The Picnic'

Sixteen years later!

Our son, Simon (a Facebook friend of Ming's), myself, Ming and the Moonrakeress at the Pickled Pantry, Surbiton.

We had a great time reminiscing and hearing all about Ming's many achievements during the past sixteen years. She currently works at British Antarctic Survey and is a PhD Student at the University of Cambridge. She has also studied at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg and Cornell University, USA.

Good to have seen you again, old friend.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: We Meet Again

Post by pete9012S »

Wonderful news Nigel - thank you for sharing.
You're all looking well. Please send Ming my very best wishes.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Aw, it's brilliant that you managed to meet up! You all look well and I know Ming has never stopped adventuring in all these years! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Lovely photos, Nigel. You look just the same as you did at the end of May in Exeter! So glad you've kept your friendship with Ming very much alive.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Great to hear of your meeting and to see the photos.

By co-incidence, I read the Journal with Ming's account of her visit, just a week or two ago, and was impressed at her determination to attend the Society Day. :)
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

That is brilliant. I'm so glad she got to Cambridge, having been turned down by Oxford :lol:
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

So glad you all had a chance to finally meet up again. What a beautiful young woman Ming is. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I still have the little gift that Ming brought me from Bangladesh that memorable day in 2007. It was her, and my, first EBS Day. I remember it well. So glad to see that she has gone on to great things.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks for sharing the good news and the photos Moonraker. Do you think Ming will return to the forums? I well remember her interesting posts from several years ago.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming leads an extremely busy life now, Boodi, so I would imagine the forums have slipped down her list of priorities. She is extremely passionate and committed to her studies and work, travelling the world like a latter-day Alan Whicker.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Moonraker, I understand! Nevertheless, please tell her that I miss her interesting contributions and wish her all the best.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Great to see you were able to meet up again! I remember meeting Ming when she came to take part in the World (school) debating championships here in Cape Town. I went to listen in at one of the (Bangladesh) debates at the University campus (it was open to the public I suppose).
Then later on that year I was able to attend the last Enid Blyton Day where I met more famous people!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Hi Everyone!

Dropping back in again after many years, because Nigel sent me a link to this post!

Nigel, Moonrakeress, Simon and I had a wonderful time catching up after sixteen years. I have to admit, we were both a bit nervous about whether we would get along well - but we did, like a house on fire! It did not feel like sixteen years had passed since our last meeting. Nigel kept me updated on how people are doing, and passed along greetings - I'm so pleased to hear from so many of you! :D

Lenoir and I did meet in 2012, in Cape Town! This was during the World Schools Debate Championships, and one of the days was open to the public, which is when Lenoir was kind enough to come along. :D

Nigel is right, though, in saying I'm unlikely to be making a return here, as I do indeed have a lot of commitments that take up most of my time. I'm a PhD student in Cambridge now, as well as the British Antarctic Survey, and I have to say, Viv, it is nice to be here after having been turned down by the Other Place! But I went to Cornell instead of Oxford, and it was 100% the right decision for me.

In case people are interested in what I am up to these days (and over the 10 or so years!), and a little bit about my work, I was recently an invited speaker at the Natural History Museum in London. I spoke at their Family Festival, Sultana's Dream, which celebrated the contributions of South Asian women in natural sciences. I spoke to a packed room at their Attenborough Studio, but one of my friends recorded the talk, and you can watch it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCV9j1wWUMY

I know I am Facebook friends with many of you, and that it is indeed the best place to keep in touch with me, or reach out. And I always answer emails!

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks for the update Ming - it's great to hear all your news.

Best Wishes

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Great to hear from you again, Ming.
Society Member