What makes you happy?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Re: What makes you happy?

Post by Boodi 2 »

You are very brave Viv! As I mentioned in another thread, while my husband and I both love mushrooms we are very reluctant to go mushroom picking because are afraid that we might end up with the wrong ones, as we have heard about two cases of people dying as a result of eating poisonous ones, which is a sobering thought!
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

an ex-boyfriend overdosed on magic mushrooms, and had very vivid hallucinations
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

So that made YOU happy, did it? :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

:twisted:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 21:43 an ex-boyfriend overdosed on magic mushrooms, and had very vivid hallucinations
Was that a VIV-id hallucination? :lol:
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Just sat listening to Pachelbel's 'Canon' yet again and I realised it deserves a specific mention on this thread in terms of my happiness. I just find it so perfect, and so soothing, that it really helps me relax and puts me in a 'happy place' mentally.

Also, as I mentioned last year, I really love having my Christmas decorations around the house and all my lovely baubles on the tree. It definitely boosts my spirits and brings me happiness whenever I've got the house looking like that. I'd love to have them up all year round, but really don't want to draw that kind of 'eccentric' attention to myself. But I have started sneaking the pre-tree decorations up around the house as early in November as I can manage, so I'm planning on doing it in less than a month from now! :D :P
Last edited by Bertie on 29 Oct 2023, 00:38, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I had a special day yesterday.

Sutton Hoo has had an exhibition of local finds which I'd kept meaning to go to before it finishes later this month, and finally got around to taking my mother to see it. The site wasn't too busy, so we were able to take our time looking at the display and reading all the information. We both feel very much as if our roots belong in East Anglia, so were in our element looking at everything.

Then we went for a wander, and stopped every now and again to sit in the sunshine. Neither of us like it too hot, and it was just the right temperature yesterday. Often, Sutton Hoo can be a bit breezy as it's on top of a hill, but yesterday the gentle breeze was a warm one - so perfect.

We visited the other exhibition in the house there, and were lucky enough to have timed our visit with 2 experts showing their skills in restoring/preserving some recently acquired artefacts connected to the site.

We treated ourselves to refreshments in the cafe - when I'm working on-site, I often treat myself to a coffee in a reusable cup, but yesterday we were more civilised and drank out of china cups. ;) Somehow the coffee tasted even nicer than usual. :)

Another walk took us through the woods, and we heard what we think, were a couple of muntjac deer calling to each other. I know there are deer living there, but I've never heard them before.

We rounded the day off with some purchases - both of us getting some stocking fillers from the National Trust shop - I'm not normally organised enough to buy Christmas presents in October!

Then it was off to the second hand bookshop where I spent £12 on a big bundle of books, including a FF complete with D/W and a more modern book illustrated by Rene Cloke.

Today the weather changed a bit, and it's going to be a lot colder/wetter from now on, so I felt we had the perfect end to the summer season.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

That sounds like my sort of day too, Katherine. I've went to Sutton Hoo before I think they rebuilt the visitor centre, and I found it fascinating.

My day not so exciting - BUT I CAN NOW SEE THE LOUNGE FLOOR. I don't mind living in a bit of a muddle, but not squalor, so tidying and vacuuming has made me happy :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds like a super day, Katharine. I love museums (one thing I always enjoy at the British Museum is the Sutton Hoo treasure), Rene Cloke is one of my favourite illustrators, and I'm always thrilled at the number of deer I see around here, including muntjac deer (usually from the windows of buses or trains).

Bertie, I very much like Pachelbel's Canon too. I've never listened to much classical music but I do recognise and love a few pieces, that being one of them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie9598

Post by Susie9598 »

We must be almost-neighbours, Katharine. I love Sutton Hoo as well, I always find it quite other-worldly.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

That sounds wonderful, Katharine, thanks for sharing.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Pachelbel's Canon -
after the ghastly news of this week, that was balm for my soul
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I love Sutton Hoo as well! I've only been there once, several years ago, after I'd spent a few days in Norwich and decided to drive home by some of the more scenic routes through Suffolk and Essex (I lived in Kent at the time). I had a look at the National Trust's website to see if I'd be passing any of their properties, saw the name Sutton Hoo and gave a squeal of recognition — that was one of the most exciting and memorable chapters in my high school history textbook when I was 14 (back in Australia)!!! — and there on the website was a picture of the reconstructed famous helmet, exactly as I remembered from the picture in the same textbook. So I just HAD to go there, and I wasn't disappointed. :D :D :D

Lots of other things make me happy too — including visits to the Lake District, which are so much easier now that I live only 2 hours' drive from it! I've just had a couple of days there, including a boat ride on Windermere, fish and chips by the lake at Bowness, and then, back in Ambleside (where I started from), THE most delicious apple pie at the aptly named Apple Pie Cafe and Bakery. I will have to get back up there again soon — hoping to go to the Carlisle Christmas market in December. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've also like 'Canon'. Not just because I think it's a good piece of music, but it also brings back a pleasant memory. Several years ago, one of my children performed at Snape Maltings in a schools' concert. One of the pieces was Canon, played by (I think) 6th formers from another school. The standard was amazing.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sounds like a fabulous day out Katharine. I love days like that. I'm heading up to Yorkshire on Sunday for a few days and am looking forward to visiting Haworth and exploring the Bronte Parsonage Museum and it's surroundings. The story of the Brontes is a fascinating, though tragic, one. I hope to go walking on their beloved moors as well so fingers crossed I'll have a similar day to yours.

I'd love to see Sutton Hoo; I've heard such a lot about it although realistically I don't know when I'll next be getting over to East Anglia. I've only ever been to Norwich which I loved.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member