Jubilee

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Jubilee

Post by Katharine »

As several people have made comments in other threads about the Jubilee, I wondered if it would be nice to start a separate topic?

My Jubilee weekend hasn't been as interesting as perhaps it might have been. The road where I live is quite a busy one, and fairly long (about 100 houses), so it wouldn't have been practical to hold a street party. I'm not sure if there have been many locally - I've heard of a couple of smaller roads which were having them.

Our main park in town held some celebrations on Thursday evening with the lighting of a beacon at 9.45, followed by some fireworks. Either it wasn't very well advertised, or I'm not very observant, as I wasn't aware of it until earlier that day. I might have considered attending, but unfortunately I had to work the following day, and needed an early night - I was able to hear and see some of the fireworks from my house though.

I've watched some of the coverage on TV, but am too fidgety to sit that long in front of the screen, so just watched bits and pieces. I'm hoping to catch up on some of the bits I missed on i-player at some point, especially the service on Friday which I missed all of as I was at work. I thought the Paddington sketch was hilarious, well, not the bit with the teapot, but the rest.

I had a slight disappointment on Thursday - quite often the flypast for Trooping the Colour goes directly over my house, so I was out in the street with my camera from about 12.30 onwards, but sadly this year the planes followed a slightly different course. I was able to see them if I looked down by road, but they were quite a way in the distance. Another year I shall have to see if there's anyway of finding out the exact route so I can get into a better position - one year we just travelled a mile or so away and watched them flying out of the mist over the field (which sadly have now been covered in a massive housing estate).

I'm now trying to find a souvenir of the Jubilee - I have a special coin from the Silver Jubilee, but don't think I have anything from the 50 or 60 years ones. I went to a local store today as I'd seen on their website that they stocked some mugs. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock, and after phoning their other branch, it appears that the few they do have, have been been misplaced. They have taken my contact details and said they'll be in touch if they find them, but I won't hold my breath. I haven't really seen anything in the shops, but then I can't really think of anywhere locally that might sell that kind of thing.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Jubilee

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's interesting to hear about your Jubilee weekend, Katharine.

The highlight for me was a Jubilee Garden Party in Salisbury Cathedral Close yesterday. The party spanned three large gardens which open into one another, and I enjoyed seeing all the flowers and trees. It was green and glorious and I was reminded of Tom's Midnight Garden! The gardens stretched down to the river. There were flags and bunting, a band and a few stalls selling plants, crafts, cakes, etc. Children were enjoying themselves on a bouncy castle, and others were playing croquet.

After strolling round the gardens twice, I treated myself to a cake and a drink while sitting near the band. Then I sat on a bench in one of the gardens which gave me a beautiful view of roses, topiary and mature trees, and read my book in the sun. The book was Mademoiselle by Geraldine Symons, who grew up in another house in the Cathedral Close. I walked round the close after leaving the party and had a look at that house from the outside. Mademoiselle is set at the beginning of the First World War and is part of an excellent series about two girls, Pansy and Atalanta. In this book they spend the holidays at a friend's house in Paris, accompanied by their Mademoiselle (they go to a boarding school during term-time), but Mademoiselle behaves most suspiciously and the girls decide to investigate. In another book in the series, Miss Rivers and Miss Bridges, Pansy and Atalanta support the Suffragettes in London and get up to all kinds of hair-raising things.

Anyway, back to the Jubilee! I didn't do anything else specific but I did catch part of an acrobatic show while walking through the market square and I liked seeing all the decorations, including some eye-catching yarn bombing on a bridge in the Maltings. I also watched highlights of the service and the concert on TV, as well as part of today's parade with the buses and carnival costumes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Katharine I think your Jubilee weekend will have definitely been more interesting than mine. In fact I reckon anyone's will have been. Because here there's nothing. No I'm not joking, there has seriously been not a thing. Not so much as a flag in someone's window. If you were in my town you would never think it was anything but a peaceful average ordinary weekend. I spent the last three days working and today repairing a craft project and just sitting around as it was too wet to go for a walk. It's making me laugh when I hear comment on the radio about how it's "going to be hard getting back into normal work tomorrow after this special four day bank holiday of celebrations". Er..no it's not. It's more a case of "Jubilee? What Jubilee?!" :lol:
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Enid and myself just watched all the pageantry, concerts and services, etc., on the TV.

I do have a few pieces of memorabila which I purchased within the past month or two. I have the set of 2022 proof coins from the Royal Mint which includes a 50p and a £5 Jubilee coin. I also purchased the Royal Mail First Day Cover stamps addressed to me.

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Those coins are lovely BB. Ordinarily I would have got a coin as a memento but ever since the royal mint refused to give Enid Blyton a commemorative 50p I have an intense dislike for them and refuse to buy or accept any of their 'special type' coins. If that means missing out then so be it.
Society Member

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I think life's too short to bear grudges - at least at my age. One can end up cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Thursday - Jubilee Beacon was lit on the centre spot of the village soccer pitch. We could then see the beacons at Corfe Castle!
Friday - walk with friends at Kingcombe, where there was a dearth of insects, but a fine view of Great Spotted Woodpeckers
Saturday - bellringing. Tower Captain had composed a special pattern, so that bell #2 made the shape of a crown. It felt good that in 350 years of change ringing, we were the first to make that particular pattern!
Sunday - the only rain in the village today came as a lump at 3pm. The parish council had put on a 'mainstage' and live bands, but with elderly relatives we abandoned plans and sat down in front of a warm telly to watch the pageant.

God save the Queen!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 22:38 God save the Queen!

Viv
You sound just like Kiki, Viv. :lol:

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Katharine, if it's any use, Tesco were selling a souvenir booklet with many photos, etc for£10. They didn't have many left when I went (last Friday)
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Boatbuilder wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 22:12 I think life's too short to bear grudges - at least at my age. One can end up cutting off their nose to spite their face.
I agree with that and I do try not to bear grudges. I simply don't want to support a company who wouldn't give Enid Blyton the honour they've given others because of their biased BBC type view on her and the disappointingly all too common kowtowing to the few who get outraged on the behalf of others on social media. Had royal mint said 'this beloved author has bought countless hours of joy and happiness for decades to millions and continues to do so, shove what that lot think' I'd buy every coin they ever bring out. But they didn't so I won't. I do think the coins you've bought are an extremely nice keepsake though BB. The five pound one is especially grand, it looks like a medal.
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

There hasn't been much in Scotland I don't think but I have seen more UK flags than usual, including the odd bit of bunting.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member