Postal Deliveries

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Postal Deliveries

Post by Eddie Muir »

Is anyone else experiencing problems with their postal deliveries?

There have been no deliveries in our area since 7th December. We have been told that the reason for this is staff absences due to covid. Apparently 36 postmen/women have contracted the virus and are unable to work. The Brighton Post Office are not employing extra staff or offering overtime to existing staff and so we have no idea when postal deliveries will resume. I have tried telephoning Royal Mail Customer Services, but it is impossible to get through to an adviser. After going through a series of options, I was told that I was in a queue and that the waiting time would be around forty minutes. To make matters worse, their telephone number is an 0345 one which costs 9p a minute to use. What a sorry state of affairs! :roll:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Postal Deliveries

Post by Katharine »

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having Eddie. I've a feeling we had something similar here last year, but so far everything seems fairly normal this time. Hopefully you'll get a nice bumper delivery soon.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

There’s no real problem here in North Suffolk and Norfolk served by Norwich and Lowestoft sorting offices, Eddie. However, I believe there have been problems in parts of Essex as I recall seeing something on the BBC East news a couple of weeks ago.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Our area is suffering too. We had nothing for several days but a deluge arrived this morning! Our letter boxes have been overflowing - seems collections are also affected so we have refrained from posting any more at present. Not a very happy state of affairs, I'm sorry to say.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Touch wood we're okay here, Eddie. Our postie is a local man and lives in the village, and he's doing a grand job for us all. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is definitely a local issue, Eddie. My brother lives near Tain and his deliveries are totally sporadic. We have had no such issues, in fact, we now get a daily delivery around 10am, whereas it has been nearer to 3pm in the last few months.
Society Member
Chris_jr
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door, Secret7, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Kit and Peter of Secret 7

Post by Chris_jr »

The ST's amongst us seems to fine but anything ordered that has to leave certain mail centres elsewhere beyond the North West Midlands (Wolverhampton) is a bit sluggish
"The eternal boy" tm
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

No problems with the post here, Eddie. We receive a delivery daily between 11.00am and 1.00pm.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Eddie Muir wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 10:41 I have tried telephoning Royal Mail Customer Services, but it is impossible to get through to an adviser. After going through a series of options, I was told that I was in a queue and that the waiting time would be around forty minutes. To make matters worse, their telephone number is an 0345 one which costs 9p a minute to use.
I just wonder... in Germany it's a law that paid hotlines are only allowed to start counting the time when you're actually speaking to a human being. I thought it was an EU rule though. It''s a pity if it's not a law in Great Britain.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Sorry to hear this problem Eddie. Mine has been normal so it must be a purely local issue. What a disgrace that one should have to spend huge amounts of money on phone calls just to try to find out what's happening. Perhaps drop an email to your MP?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you all for your supportive messages. :D

After eleven days without any post, we had two separate deliveries earlier this afternoon. It was good to receive two piles of cards, letters and packages. Let’s hope this means the service will be back to normal from now on.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That's excellent news Eddie. Hopefully the end of the problem. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks, John. :D As you say, let’s hope it is the end of the problem.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Let me know if you have any more problems with your post, Eddie. I'll send Pete round to sort them out. :D
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Seems like a problem in several countries... we had an article in the local newspaper today about this. There were quite some people getting problems because of missed appointments or unpaid bills. I've got all letters very delayed too during the last few weeks - luckily so far there was nothing in it which caused me any problems.
The mail company says the delays are due to more letters (because of the pandemic and Christmas) and more people being ill.
Society Member