Hampshire

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Hampshire

Post by Maria Elena »

Hi everyone!!

It's a long time since I wrote in the forums! I am back, and Enid Blyton brought me back (bought a good few books recently).

I live in Southampton, and, since I still have a week and a half until I start the academic year (and obviously even then, I still have weekends free) I want to know more places around Hampshire I could visit.

I am mostly interested in natural places (woods, waterfalls, hills, nice countryside walks), as well as places of historical or cultural value. And I want to get to know more rural areas too! Also any little treasures (any pub recommendations to get a good old Sunday roast, any "local treasures" that I'd never be able to see by visiting tourism websites, etc!). And any literary places, obviously any Blytonesque too!

Just wondering if anyone from Hampshire or who has been here could offer suggestions 😊

Lots of love to everyone and I hope you are all enjoying your summer!
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Katharine

Re: Hampshire

Post by Katharine »

I visited Portsmouth several times many years ago, including attending the wedding of friends there, but don't think I've been down that way now for probably 10 years.

Portsmouth was quite a nice from what I remember, although not really a 'natural place', but quite interesting historically if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Society Member
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

Thank you for your reply, and I am so happy you keep a good memory of Portsmouth! I am there for almost four months for my final rotations, and I am looking forward to exploring the city 🥰
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Not sure if it is still running, and whether it would be of any interest to you, but I also took a trip on the Hovercraft that runs between Portsmouth (might be South Sea) and the Isle of Wight. It was an interesting experience, and the Isle of Wight is a lovely place to visit too.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely to hear from you, Maria Elena. I don't know whether you've already visited Salisbury at all. It's in Wiltshire but is within easy reach of you by train, bus or car. The cathedral is beautiful and the tower tour is well worth doing as it gives wonderful views of Salisbury and the surrounding countryside (though I'm not sure whether the tower has yet reopened following Covid-19 restrictions). There are some interesting museums and houses open to the public too, and some glorious walks up on Laverstock Down or around Old Sarum, or across the water meadows to Harnham (the latter is only a short walk but Constable painted views of the cathedral from the 'Town Path' that runs across the meadows).

Winchester isn't far from you either (again, I don't know whether you've already been there). It has a beautiful cathedral as well, and a big Christmas market in the run-up to Christmas. I visited quite recently and went on a walk described by the poet John Keats, which took in historic buildings and meadowland.

You could probably do Bath (in Somerset) as a day trip too. It's a stunning spa town with Roman baths, an abbey, striking architecture, a picturesque bridge, quaint tea-rooms and various Jane Austen connections.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

With all our suggestions so far, I think you are going to need more than 4 months. ;)

Perhaps the obvious places to visit are those connected with the filming of the 1970's Famous Five TV series, in and around Exbury. There's a whole separate thread for all the filming locations. :)
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Hi Maria Elena. I only joined this forum shortly after your last post before your 'absence' but seeing your username tonight immediately brought back memories of this lovely piece of guitar music from 1962 (althought the piece dates from much earlier). It must have been one of the first records I bought as I only started buying them that year. :D

Maria Elena by Los Indios Tabajaras
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!!! And yes Katherine, this will definitely keep me busy for months! I hope to take some good pictures to share with you all :D
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

Boatbuilder wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 22:55 Hi Maria Elena. I only joined this forum shortly after your last post before your 'absence' but seeing your username tonight immediately brought back memories of this lovely piece of guitar music from 1962 (althought the piece dates from much earlier). It must have been one of the first records I bought as I only started buying them that year. :D

Maria Elena by Los Indios Tabajaras

I have just listened to it, I had heard it before but not in a long time and it's going to be a new favourite! Thank you :D
timv

Post by timv »

I've known Hampshire all my life, and was born in Southampton - the latter's city centre, where I use the library at the Civic Centre for research for m y books when there are no pandemics on, has changed a lot since the 1970s. Much of the main shopping street is new, the University buildings and art gallery in Above Bar (the long street leading down to the medieval gateway) in particular. The Southampton Water 'sea front' by the pier at the bottom of the shopping centre has been improved in appearance but is a lot quieter than it used to be when the famous shipping liners like the Queen Elizabeth (I and 2) called there regularly; there's also a modern marina village built in the old docks at the bottom (S) end of the Itchen river below the bridge.

Winchester has far more character, with a lot of interesting old buildings around the Cathedral and walks on footpaths down the river - one from the bridge at the east end of the High Street, others from the South side of the cathedral. You soon get out into open meadows by the buildings of the old private school, Winchester College, and can explore for a mile or two - aim down the paths by the river for the medieval church and hospital at St Cross and beyond that there's fields and an old mill. You can walk down the West side of the river past St Cross to a public road/ footway carrying a bridge over the river by the mill (about 25 mins walk from the S side of the cathedral) and back up the East side of the river on the opposite side But take a map if possible, it's easy to get confused with all the paths !

I'd also recommend the old high street and riverside walks in Alresford, some miles East of Winchester, another favourite of mine; and there's a good second-hand bookshop in Alton, at the far Eastern end of the High Street. In the small village of Chawton , near Alton, there's Jane Austen's home where she wrote many of her books, the 'Great House' where her brother lived, and walks around there. There's another good second hand bookshop in Petersfield, at the E end of Hampshire, which has a large public common with a lake; the bookshops have websites giving details of how to get there and when they're open. I also recommend Romsey (NW of Southampton) with its abbey, and of course the New Forest with Lymington where I live (riverside walks, quay, and Marina with adjoining walks around the seaside marshes nature reserve) and Beaulieu (Abbey plus Motor Museum). The main 1978 Famous Five TV series filming sites are around there, especially Exbury House and its public Gardens. West of Lymington you can drive to the small harbour of Keyhaven near Milford on Sea, park and get a good view of the FF film site of Hurst Castle lighthouse; bits of the castle (an old central tower plus C19th gun-emplacements) is shut due to the walls collapsing onto the adjacent beach in strong sea-currents.
Society Member
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

Thank you soooo much, this is really detailed!
Yes, I have been told Southampton has changed a lot in the last years... Would love to see some old photos, perhaps I find them at the library!
What a coincidence, I used the library at the civic centre quite frequently before covid.

All your recommendations are absolutely wonderful, and I have already added them to the list together with the previous ones. Tomorrow I will start by visiting Lymington!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enjoy your trip to Lymington, Maria Elena. You've got great weather for it!
timv wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 08:22Winchester has far more character, with a lot of interesting old buildings around the Cathedral and walks on footpaths down the river - one from the bridge at the east end of the High Street, others from the South side of the cathedral. You soon get out into open meadows by the buildings of the old private school, Winchester College, and can explore for a mile or two - aim down the paths by the river for the medieval church and hospital at St Cross...
I did that walk with my daughter and her boyfriend about seven weeks ago, Tim. We were following in the footsteps of John Keats, who spent some time in Winchester in 1819 and wrote 'To Autumn' there. My daughter and her boyfriend each bought a book from a super bookshop called P & G Wells.

I'm fond of Romsey too and have been there twice.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Living in Berkshire, Hampshire isn't all that far away from me, but I'm not as familiar with it as I could be. Years ago on separate occasions I visited Andover and Alton pretty much just for a walkaround and was very impressed with both. On the way back from Alton, I seem to remember popping into a country churchyard just to visit the grave of Field Marshal Montgomery! I went for another day trip, this time to Winchester about three years ago because I love visiting cathedrals. Funnily enough, it was only the other week I was reading up about Alfred the Great and the influence that he and Winchester held around Southern England. And last year - I think the very week after the first Lockdown ended - I popped down to the wonderful Southsea!