When referring to old posts in a topic....

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

When referring to old posts in a topic....

Post by Boatbuilder »

I wonder if it would be possible when members refer back to old posts, particularly when they're not fairly recent, for them to quote the post they are referring to, and even state when it was made?

I was reading a post this morning where somebody had quoted a recent post, which was fine. However, the quoted post referred to something else in a post from several year earlier (before I joined the forum) and that person hadn't even quoted the post referred to, just made their comment referring to the person who posted it.

It is possible, which would also be helpful if it is an old post, to include the date in the quote they are referring to.

This can be done to look like this:
boatbuilder on the 15th January 2019 wrote:This is a test example...... etc.
This was achieved by adding the words 'on the 15th January 2019' after the username within the quote, which would look something like this below, where I have used different brackets in place of the square ones for this so it will show up in the post:

{quote="boatbuilder on the 15th January 2019"}This is a test example...... etc.{/quote}

This is not the first time I have encountered similar posts where it has become necessary to wade back through numerous pages to try and get the gist of what is being referred to.

Incidentally, there is an 'add-on' which does this automatically in every quote so maybe our admin/webmaster could consider looking into including it. This is what appears in the post at the top of every quote:

I does make life a lot easier. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member