R.I.P. HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: R.I.P. HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Katharine »

I've always been a supporter of the monarchy, and feel that their stability compared to the often short career of politicians is important.

This was emphasised yesterday when listening to a news item about the Duke of Edinburgh scheme. Apparently Prince Phillip met with opposition when he tried to first launch it, but thankfully he persisted and it eventually took off. I can only guess what would have happened to it had it been introduced by a political party, but suspect it would have been used as a political point scoring exercise from time to time over the years, and possibly would have been axed at some point.
Stephen wrote:To think that as an adult he married the then Heir to the Throne and entered public life in the same year that Enid Blyton wrote Five on Kirrin Island Again and The Valley of Adventure is breath-taking when you think about it. A real sense of longevity.
A very interesting thought. To add another, the Prince would have been only a year or two old when Enid Blyton's first book of poems was published - so it's quite possible that he may have been read her very first stories straight off the press as it were.
Society Member