R.I.P. HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

R.I.P. HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Boatbuilder »

So sad to just hear that Prince Philip has died at the age of 99.

Condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and may he Rest In Peace.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Re: R.I.P. HRH Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Boodi 2 »

I was sorry to hear that the Duke of Edinburgh passed away this morning, just two months short of his 100th birthday. I admired him greatly (gaffes and all!) and his death will be a blow to Her Majesty as he was always her main support. May he rest in peace.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I also just heard the news a couple of hours ago. A great age to live to, but still terribly sad, especially for Her Majesty. In her famous words at their 50th wedding anniversary back in 1997:
He is someone who doesn't take easily to compliments but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years, and I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or we shall ever know.
RIP Prince Philip.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RIP Prince Philip. Both my daughter and my son enjoyed doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme which was founded by Prince Philip in 1956.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I enjoyed doing the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme at my grammar school in Brighton between 1957 and 1960.

RIP Prince Philip.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sad news.
Society Member
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

RIP Prince Phillip. Very sad.

He had a good innings though!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A sad day, and my thoughts are with the Queen and her family. R.I.P. Prince Philip.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Eddie Muir wrote:I enjoyed doing the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme at my grammar school in Brighton between 1957 and 1960.
I also enjoyed the challenge of getting my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award at my first high school back in Australia, in 1997. I would have considered going for the Silver and maybe even the Gold Award, but the following year I moved to a different school that didn't offer the "Duke of Ed", so I never had the opportunity.

I've just looked up more information on the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme and I'm amazed to see it operates (sometimes under different names) in 144 countries! He really has had a far wider impact on people's lives around the world than many of us realise.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I really feel for the Queen; to lose someone she's loved for that long must be terribly sad. But what an extraordinary long life the Duke had. To think that as an adult he married the then Heir to the Throne and entered public life in the same year that Enid Blyton wrote Five on Kirrin Island Again and The Valley of Adventure is breath-taking when you think about it. A real sense of longevity.

Rest in Peace.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

RIP Prince Philip. He lived an amazing life and, as others have said, really touched and made a difference to many people.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chris_jr
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door, Secret7, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Kit and Peter of Secret 7

Post by Chris_jr »

Prince Philip was a person I looked up to for his interest in humanity from conservation, through spirituality to helping young people grow in character through the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme, all done in practical ways with personal involvement.

I find myself rather more moved by his passing than I would of thought to be honest.
"The eternal boy" tm
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

A remarkable man who launched new initiatives that helped the young and our environment, invaluable consort to our Queen for some 73 years he will be missed.
timv

Post by timv »

RIP Prince Philip. A remarkable man, who did a lot to modernise the monarchy and created a truly unique organisation for empowering young people across the world in the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme. His record as consort to the reigning Sovereign for 69 years will surely never be equalled, and he was the rock on which the Queen relied in her personal as well as public, life for so long. Sad that he's left us, but he had a good run; it will seem like the end of an age without him. A last connection for our era back to the world of interlinked early and mid C20th international European royalty.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've never been an avid follower of the Royal Family but over the years I have come to appreciate the feeling of stability and continuity that the long reign of Elizabeth II has given us. Politicians come and go and chop and change, but the Queen has remained at the helm for decades and has always been a dignified and reassuring presence. Philip was clearly a source of great support to her and will be much missed.
timv wrote:...it will seem like the end of an age without him. A last connection for our era back to the world of interlinked early and mid C20th international European royalty.
Stephen wrote:...what an extraordinary long life the Duke had. To think that as an adult he married the then Heir to the Throne and entered public life in the same year that Enid Blyton wrote Five on Kirrin Island Again and The Valley of Adventure is breath-taking when you think about it.
Great comments. They made me stop and reflect on the considerable changes that can take place in society over the course of a person's lifetime.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member