Holidays 2021?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Holidays 2021?

Post by pete9012S »

Any plans for holidays 2021 guys?

My friend Mike who lives in New York sent me this photo from his holiday in Ingleton when I told hime we may be looking for a holiday in England this May and July.

He also suggested The Howgill Fells area which we have yet to explore and may be possibly a bit quieter than the honey pot parts of The Lake District?

https://www.visitcumbria.com/peaks/howgills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Holidays 2021?

Post by Lucky Star »

I doubt there will be any foreign holidays this year which is bad news both for tourists and those of us who have careers in the travel industry. If I get anywhere this year my first priority will be to see my parents in Ireland whom I haven't seem in over a year. After that I may try to get to either Cornwall or make my long awaited visit to Hay-on-Wye.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

pete9012S wrote:Any plans for holidays 2021 guys?
Oh, I wish I had. :cry:

I've been looking at the place I'd normally book near Bath to visit my son, and I'm sure they've massively hiked the prices this year. As I still have a school age child, I'm really restricted as to when I can take a holiday, and suspect everything will get booked up quickly. I'm reluctant to book anything yet as there's no guarantee it will be ok to take a holiday this year.

If I could choose, I'd pick somewhere around the Chester area, as there are a number of English Heritage places I could visit to tick off my 'to visit' list, and I could also hopefully visit a friend who lives up that way.

If I'm lucky enough to have a holiday this year, I will probably go somewhere fairly rural, with lots of outdoors places to visit, I had hoped to visit Legoland and the Harry Potter tour, but don't really want to go to places where there are likely to be lots of other people, nor do I want to risk going somewhere where attractions may be partially shut due to social distancing restrictions.

Last year we did manage to find something last minute for a long weekend to visit our son, so I'm hoping there might be something similar available this year (that's not too pricey).

On the one hand, I'm not keen on international travel being opened up, as I think it's far too risky at the moment, but on the other hand I would welcome it, as it means that lots of people will be rushing off abroad, which will leave lots of UK availability for me to choose from. :wink:
Society Member
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

I do hope international travel will be allowed. I have a holiday booked to Sidari in Greece again for August 2. I know they’ve not got it to bad with the Covid over there and their government have said they want to welcome British tourists.

On the other hand there has been a rise in Covid cases in some European countries and the threat of these variants being reimported to this country and damaging our vaccination programme. I believe the government group are now meeting on April 5 rather than April 12 to discuss what international travel may be allowed from May 17 at the earliest. The fact they’ve brought this forward probably isn’t a good sign. Then there’s also the issue of a requirement to maybe have a vaccine passport or negative Covid test and potentially have to quarantine. All the noise coming from this is that international travel is very much in the balance this summer.

Failing a trip abroad, a trip to Cornwall wouldn’t be a bad consolation! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've got a week in Cornwall booked for next month! :D In self-catering accommodation, as that's the only sort that will be open before May at the earliest. I decided I'd better beat the rush and ended up getting a really good deal on an upstairs apartment overlooking Gyllyngvase Beach in Falmouth (my favourite town in Cornwall).

Then the other day I got an email from the property owners saying that they'd just received the latest rules for accommodation and shared corridors and stairs won't be allowed, so they can only rent out one of their upstairs suites at a time and one is already taken by a long-stay guest... But their downstairs suites have separate entrances, and one was now available (it had been booked by Scottish guests who aren't yet allowed to travel and have had to postpone it), so the owners have very kindly offered to upgrade me to the downstairs suite — which is larger than the one I originally booked — at no extra cost. I have no objections to this whatsoever. 8)

Restaurants won't yet be open for indoor dining when I go and a lot of other attractions will probably still be closed, but I enjoy doing my own cooking and I'll be very happy going for coastal and countryside walks — and the National Trust's gardens will be open to pre-booked visitors as well. I don't at all mind having a holiday all on my own, as lockdown hasn't meant isolation for me — I live where I work and I've been surrounded by the same people as always throughout the past year, so I'm looking forward to a break at last! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

My brother and family have invited me to Cornwall again this year. The place we usually stay has pencilled us in, obviously subjected to current affairs. It would be so great if I can go. I haven't stayed in Cornwall in consecutive years since my grandparents were alive.

Also, hoping to resume my visits to South Wales as soon as is allowed!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

May the force be with (every one of) us if we endeavour to take a break this year!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

We have absolutely no plans to take a break as the situation remains so uncertain and there is talk of a new curfew here as the number of infections continues to rise. My hope is that we may be able to drive down to Lake Constance at some stage during the summer months and spend the day there, although I fear that it will be very crowded as no doubt many people will have the same idea and even our local lakes were crowded last summer.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

We have our third attempt at a holiday booked for September now, just a week away in the north of Scotland. I'm hoping that maybe next year we could head south into England for the joys of Diggerland.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I don't think there will be much of a holiday here. If numbers go down (right now German politiciancs work hard on letting the numbers rise :evil: ) maybe some daytrips or meeting a friend. I'm living close to the sea so could go there just for a day.
And I hope to visit my parents in the summer. They're living at the Lake of Constance so it's a nice region - though Boodi2 is right, there will probably be lots of other people.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I fully agree with you about German politicians and even my husband, who up to now had not been very critical, is becoming extremely frustrated with the mismanagement of the situation.

Since the 1990s we have gone to Lake Constance at least once a year and never run out of new things to see and do there. We often go camping for three or four days or else just drive down in the morning and spend the day there. It really is a beautiful region (apart from the masses of tourists that is, although as we are also tourists it is hypocritical to complain) and I always joke that if I won the Lotto (needless to say, I very rarely play the Lotto as I consider it a waste of money) I would buy a house or apartment at or close to the lake. Our favourite destination for relaxing is the "Strandbad" at Klausenhorn/Dingelsdorf!!!
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Fortunately I have 3 self-catering booked, first one in April in Whitby. It can't come soon enough.

I'va also got a twice-postponed trip to the USA - Milwaukee actually - in September. With both their and our vaccines going well, and I will be double-jabbed by then, surely there's a chance?

I seriously considered inventing a valid excuse. My brother is genuinely buying a house in Blackpool so I could have siad I needed a weekend there to check on it. And it's not as if sitting in a self catering flat in Blackpool and going for a walk on the front is any more likely to spread anything that sitting at home and going for a walk round Pendle Hill. But my Mum wouldn't play!
DSR
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

dsr wrote: I seriously considered inventing a valid excuse. My brother is genuinely buying a house in Blackpool so I could have siad I needed a weekend there to check on it. And it's not as if sitting in a self catering flat in Blackpool and going for a walk on the front is any more likely to spread anything that sitting at home and going for a walk round Pendle Hill. But my Mum wouldn't play!
And you could always nip up to Barnard Castle to check your driving vision while you were at it... :D :P :wink: (Only kidding, don't worry, but I couldn't resist.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay wrote:And you could always nip up to Barnard Castle to check your driving vision while you were at it... :D :P :wink: (Only kidding, don't worry, but I couldn't resist.)
Or alternatively help the cause to 'fill and finish' the Novavax vaccine. ;)

Image courtesy of BBC1

(Screenshot from Monday's Covid-19 update)
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I've got a week in New York planned with my friends for the start of May (end of our academic year). Not sure if it'll fully materialize seeing as we can't book for the next few weeks for certain reasons, but really hoping it does. Most of us will be fully vaccinated by then and according to new guidelines we'll be able to travel guilt-free, lol.
You can call me Sunskriti!