Christmas Plans 2020?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Christmas Plans 2020?

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

First twinkly Christmas lights seen in my village this evening. The neighbours have been decorating their garden.

I usually don't approve of Christmas in November but this year I'll make an exception. :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Christmas markets... there's something I'll miss too. :( I've never yet been to a "real" one in Germany or Switzerland or somewhere traditional like that (I hope to one day!), but I've enjoyed the ones in the UK over the years I've been here. But there'll be another time.

I'm not a fan of marzipan myself, but I do like Lebkuchen, especially dark chocolate coated! :D A German friend in the UK introduced me to it the first Christmas I was here.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I don't mind Marzipan, Courtus, as long as I don't eat too much of it. If it has sugar in it though, then I shouldn't be eating any Marzipan at all, as it'll help increase my blood sugar levels. Just saying.

As for Christmas, I'm hoping that one of my local Churches will have Christmas Lunch again. If not, then I'll be spending it alone.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'll come round to yours Bannus.

Just get a turkey, some spuds, sprouts, gravy and stuffing in and I'll pop round with the carrots!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:First twinkly Christmas lights seen in my village this evening. The neighbours have been decorating their garden.
I usually don't approve of Christmas in November but this year I'll make an exception. :D
Viv
We've seen the first Christmas decorations in our neighborhood as well while walking our Cody.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Bannerman65 wrote:I don't mind Marzipan, Courtus, as long as I don't eat too much of it. If it has sugar in it though, then I shouldn't be eating any Marzipan at all, as it'll help increase my blood sugar levels. Just saying.
As for Christmas, I'm hoping that one of my local Churches will have Christmas Lunch again. If not, then I'll be spending it alone.
Bannerman, I never heard of sugar-free marzipan, but would also be interested if it exists. My blood sugar level is too high and it's a struggle to lower it.

No candle light service this year. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

I am wondering what will happen with the decorating of houses this year? This has been a fun thing to do for years, Melbourne being my best experience to date. I can’t imagine the powers that be (in Australia) would want crowds of people out sightseeing and gathering outside residences, that has been the tradition for many years for families. ...OK, I just went to Google, and one Sydney family is cancelling the long tradition this year. Have to say I would agree -too much responsibility in a pandemic year. Sigh. :| https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 2de4391f4b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't seen very many Christmas decorations on houses yet, but it is only November and we're in lockdown again here, so I haven't ventured very far... Next month, once the restrictions are lifted (let's hope), I'd like to go and see the lights in Sevenoaks, one of our nearest big towns — the high street always has beautiful Christmas lights all in silver, in snowflake shapes and star shapes, and it looks stunning. One of the things I like most about having Christmas in winter (which of course I didn't for the first 29 years of my life) is that because it gets dark so early, all the Christmas lights really stand out and give some good cheer in the dark and the cold.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A house round my way has put up lots of decorations and lights already. I usually don't approve of such displays before December but as Viv said this year I'll make an exception as it's been so bleak otherwise.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I also hate to see Christmas decorations on display before December, but I agree with Viv and Lucky Star that this year is different, although I still won't put up our decorations until December 20th. at the earliest (sometimes we even wait until December 24th.).
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

November is early for decorations!

Had the urge for a mince pie yesterday but resisted.

Might buy some Advocaat this year. Anyone drink that?
Also, I always buy Baileys Irish Cream and all the own supermarket versions around Xmas.

Oh, and a large stollen usually finds its way into our shopping trolley too!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote: Might buy some Advocaat this year. Anyone drink that?
Also, I always buy Baileys Irish Cream and all the own supermarket versions around Xmas.

Pete, yes, I've heard of Advocaat, but didn't drink it.
This time of the year we love to drink eggnog (as long as it's not spiced with alcohol) and just bought a huge bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream at BJ's last month. But we drink it in small liquor glasses (shot glasses?), not in coffee like most people do.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Brother Petus,

Please bring your Wife, Tony (and his Wife if he has a Wife), Anita, Courtus, Daisy, and the other Neanderthals, from the Football thread. We may as well go the whole hog, so to speak, and really enjoy ourselves. :D
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

pete9012S wrote:November is early for decorations!

Had the urge for a mince pie yesterday but resisted.

Might buy some Advocaat this year. Anyone drink that?

Oh, and a large stollen usually finds its way into our shopping trolley too!
I'd put my decorations up in early December if I had my way. This year my daughter is 'on my side', so am hoping they can go up maybe on my birthday at the end of November. :D

Haven't had Advocaat for years, but from what I remember it's quite nice. I don't bother to buy alcohol as it usually ends up being poured down the sink as we only maybe have a couple of drinks at Christmas and then it gets left and forgotten about. Some things do keep I know, but I've come across dust covered bottles at the back of cupboards that smell as though they'd be better used to strip paint. :lol:

My husband usually gets given some bottles of wine from work contacts, so if there's a sparkling one among them, we'll probably have a glass of that with Christmas dinner, and maybe manage to finish it over the next few days.

Never been a fan of stollen, but I do like Christmas puddings and cake. Don't mind mince pies, but prefer the iced ones rather than the 'normal' ones as I'm not over keen on pastry.

We've already stocked up on a few shop bought goodies, but not mince pies as most of them had 'BB dates' of early December and some were even November! I also need to check ingredients so I can think about making a cake and pudding myself.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Oh, and a large stollen usually finds its way into our shopping trolley too!
Pete, I just bought a marzipan stollen at ALDI's this morning. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock