Our good and new intentions for 2017!!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: Our good and new intentions for 2017!!

Post by IceMaiden »

Happy New Year! Good luck with your surgery Number6, and to everyone else's resolutions and plans 8) :D

Mine are:

to get as many EB books as possible to complete my collection. I need around 280 so it's going to be quite a task :P .

Try not to spend too much

Enjoy and make the most of each and every second and not waste a single moment :D
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: to get as many EB books as possible to complete my collection. I need around 280 so it's going to be quite a task :P .

Try not to spend too much

:D
Good luck with these two! ;-) One often doesn't go with the other!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Good luck with your surgery, number6. And a Happy New Year one and all.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Cheers for the heads -up, Ice Maiden & Jack! I've been through more surgery & re-hab to last a lifetime, so I think I'll be ok! :D
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

For me, continue building a collection of Angela Brazil Armada paperbacks like what I read at school and spend more time reading for pleasure.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Good luck with the Angela Brazil paperbacks. I've got one or two of them, but have somehow started to collect the hardback versions. They look lovely on the shelves, but take up 3 times as much per book as the paperbacks do, which with my limited space isn't really a sensible thing for me to have started collecting. :roll:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm doing really well with my resolution so far. I have 21 books set aside to be given away. That's enough room to now shelve all my new books with room to spare. I think I hear the bookshop calling :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

number 6 wrote:I'm due to have surgery on my left ankle ligaments/medial knee cartilage early next April. :roll: It would be really nice if I could be injury free afterwards...& for the rest of 2017! 8)
Good luck with the surgery number 6 - I am sure you will notice the difference in a positive way afterwards.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A lot more people than you think read these serials, but they are not registered on the forums as they get put off by some of the utterly irrelevant threads which have little or nothing to do with Enid Blyton. It is nice to see those that do!
I think I'd better try and make that my intention for 2017. Not to post on any topics that aren't related to Enid Blyton. :oops: Wish me luck. :wink:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm a bit split on this. ;-) On the one hand, its good to have a website dedicated to Enid Blyton, and a forum where we can talk of her works and life etc - but on the other hand, I'm sure traffic to the forums would lessen if there was a strict rule about what could be discussed. I agree its a bit annoying when the tea thread goes on for hundreds of pages - but it also shows what a cosy friendly place we have all created to discuss such things - and that in itself is exactly the ethos that Enid represents. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Why is it, by the way, that "the tea thread" always seems to get blamed for putting people off the forums?? :evil: :twisted: It hardly ever gets posted on compared to, say, "Last Song You Listened To", "What Are You Doing Now?", "What Makes You Annoyed?", or indeed "Football" — and it's only 35 pages at last check, not "hundreds". :wink: And plenty of the games threads, some of which have only tenuous connections to Enid Blyton (if any at all — think "Change a Letter") get more attention than even the general natter threads.

I'm as guilty (?) as anyone here of posting on non-Blyton-related threads, so I'm not pointing any fingers, don't worry. But as Rob and others have said before, having "general natter" here does show what a friendly, chatty community it is. It was one of the things that attracted me to the EBS forums in the first place — the fact that people here were so friendly and shared a lot of interests in common, not just Enid Blyton. I do think axing non-Blyton discussions would be more likely to reduce the number of people participating, not increase it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If people have said they're "put off" by the non-Blyton threads, the remedy lies in their own hands. They can come on and post liberally in the Enid Blyton-related threads - and start new ones if the existing ones don't cover all their interests! Also, it's easy enough to stick to areas of the forums like 'The Books', 'The Author', 'Miscellaneous Blyton', 'The Enid Blyton Society Journal', etc. and not bother venturing into sections like 'General Natter' or 'Other Authors'.
Fiona1986 wrote:I'm doing really well with my resolution so far. I have 21 books set aside to be given away.
I hope there's no significance in the number! :shock: :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

3) My third intention is to buy ALL booklets published by Enid Blyton Society. I really wish that Tony will reprint ALL of them for newer fans/forumites or old forumites like me who have not purchased them yet. I could see more new IDs in the forum. Tony, please. :D
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

sixret wrote:3) My third intention is to buy ALL booklets published by Enid Blyton Society. I really wish that Tony will reprint ALL of them for newer fans/forumites or old forumites like me who have not purchased them yet. :D
I agree, the list that was put up the other day made me realise how many I'm missing. I think I've got all the publications that are still available, and and be fortunate enough to buy a few others, but I'd love to fill in the gaps.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Francis wrote:
number 6 wrote:I'm due to have surgery on my left ankle ligaments/medial knee cartilage early next April. :roll: It would be really nice if I could be injury free afterwards...& for the rest of 2017! 8)
Good luck with the surgery number 6 - I am sure you will notice the difference in a positive way afterwards.
Thanks, Francis! I've always been positive when it comes to surgery & the rehab afterwards, so I'm not too concerned. It's just annoying to get over one problem, only for another to take its place!