Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: facebook, twitter and other forms of social (?) networking

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote: I am on facebook, but hardly ever go on there, as there seems very little to interest me. 8)
Facebook - never has so much trivia been found in such a small space! And, what a horrible term, social networking is!
Society Member
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

I'm on Facebook! Most of my friends are crazily obsessive with it, even checking their friends' statuses whilst we are supposed to be on a Spanish learning programme at school on the school PC. I however, am not in such an obsessive 'mode', and I just use Facebook so I can upload my pics to it so that my friends from my old school can see how I'm doing and things, and keep in contact.
I must say with some other websites such as 'Piczo', but I find if you have loads of everything e.g a Xanga, a Twitter, A facebook, A myspace, A blog, A twitter, A piczo - you get the idea, it really gets extremely boring. As for Facebook, as I said before, I just use it to type in friends' names from old-old-old school's who I have long-lost but want to find how they're doing.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm on Facebook and MySpace but don't use them much. I used to be obsessive about it when I first started, now I'm rather bored of it! I hardly look at MySpace these days, because I don't know many people there. I check Facebook daily though - just to find out how my friends are doing, upload photos of the many school events and finding out about the latest tournaments.

Of my 312 friends on Facebook I know them all by name, and most of them I keep in touch with (yes, really!), but only a few of them are really close - and they are school friends and cousins.

Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

I'm on none of these sites. The closest I have got to "social networing" is joining the forums here at the society! :D
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Anna Moss wrote: I must say with some other websites such as 'Piczo', but I find if you have loads of everything e.g a Xanga, a Twitter, A facebook, A myspace, A blog, A twitter, A piczo - you get the idea, it really gets extremely boring.
Oh gosh... I am getting old! I have no idea what you're talking about with most of those? Xanga? Twitter? Piczo?

I thought I was still reasonably "with it", but now I think I really am in the technological Stone Age!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: facebook, twitter and other forms of social (?) networki

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

manzanita wrote:Oh gosh... I am getting old! I have no idea what you're talking about with most of those? Xanga? Twitter? Piczo?
Same here. I'd never heard of most of those before. They sound to me like the names of parrots or budgies!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

In my opinion most of these internet platforms do conduce to collect datas to create user profiles in the background.Not always but most often.
You always have to ask yourself.How do they self-finance? Is there a lot of advertisment around etcetera..
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Don't worry about not knowing what they mean!
I haven't even been on Xanga or Twitter (They actually do sound like names of parrots - imagine Kiki being called Twitter or Xanga! :lol: ) its just I hear about these endless list of social networking sites from girls in my class, one week It'll be in fashion to have piczo, next will be bebo. I must say though, I'm just happy with my own little blog and facebook!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: If it weren't for the internet, and publications like the Enid Blyton Society Journal, I'd probably still think (as I used to) that I was the only one in the world who read Enid Blyton books as an adult!
Anita
This is perfectly true, Anita. The internet from that point of view is a good thing. But sometimes it's nice to speak to people, properly face to face as the face speaks volumes, whereas conversing over the internet, with just words, and a blank page, well, that speaks volumes in an entirely different context.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Did you ever try video conversing, Julie? It's great fun to see and hear someone even when you're miles away. I've often "Skyped" with Nigel and Jane, and as Jane said, "it's like we are only separated by a glass wall!" :D

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Did you ever try video conversing, Julie? It's great fun to see and hear someone even when you're miles away. I've often "Skyped" with Nigel and Jane, and as Jane said, "it's like we are only separated by a glass wall!" :D
Yes, I've even taken the webcam into the garden so that Ming could see the snow!
Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Hi Ming,would like to show you the alps.But the cable of the cam doesn't reach.Nigel please reveal us your Raw Toonage.No joke-seriously meant.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My lap top has a webcam, but I've never used it, as none of my friends and family have one.

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:My lap top has a webcam, but I've never used it, as none of my friends and family have one.

8)
I have. Image
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You'll have to tell me how to use it then, Nigel. :roll:

8)

Society Member