Christmas Customs

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re: Christmas Customs

Post by Carlotta King »

That book sounds really interesting, I'll have a look at it, thanks!

No its definitely not tomatoes, I love those and can eat tons of them, especially baby plum tomatoes and the big beefsteak ones.

I've often wondered if I've got intolerances to anything but again I can't narrow down what it can be because I eat lots of everything - lots of dairy (milk, cheese, butter, eggs, cream, yogurt, etc) lots of bread (so it can't be gluten or wheat intoletance), potatoes and veg, fruit, caffeine, etc etc.

I suspect my migraines might be more emotional-related in my case, but I can't be sure.

Sixret, that's a shame that salty food brings it on for you. I don't like excessively salty food because it makes me really thirsty for ages afterwards. In fact I've not had extra salt for months now because I've not got any in the house! I know foods have salt in anyway but I mean that I've not added any extra myself.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

You might be able to find a copy in your local library. If not I think I saw one listed on E-bay for just a couple of pounds. Emotional stress can certainly make a difference to someone's health, that's why something that's not an allergy can be so hard to pinpoint, although I think allergies can be grown into and out of as well. I never had hay fever until I reached my teenage years. It was at it's worse while in my 20s and 30s, but is quite milk now.

Although at this time of the year it's non-existent. :D
Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I won't be able to get one from the library because I ran up overdue fines and can't borrow anymore now because my card is suspended :roll: but I'll keep my eye open for a cheap one online.

I know what you mean about hayfever, I know people who developed it when they got older.

I'm allergic to aspirin but I have no idea if that's something that's happened as an adult or whether I would've been as a child too. I never had any painkillers as a child or teenager, the first time I took aspirin was at the age of about 22, so I've got no way of knowing if I'd have had the same reaction at age 12 or not.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I think you can hugely enjoy and appreciate receiving a gift but not necessarily hold onto it - most of my friends and family know exactly what I like which is lovely, but for instance, as a dedicated non-chocolate eater, when someone has been kind enough to gift them in the past I savour the usually beautiful wrapping and attractive looking contents, write a sincerely appreciative thank you note for the very kind thought and then give them to someone who is going to really delight in the eating! I'd think the same of vases, picture frames and other items which clash horrendously with your taste or colour scheme, you'll still have appreciated the thought and delighted in looking at the present under the tree and opening it or whatever. Other items such as teas, candles and bath items I try out for the new experience, some a resounding success, others a learning curve :wink: .

On the subject of Christmas customs I was reading the other day the writing of thank you notes are at an all time low, no doubt emails, texts or phone calls are speedier if not as enjoyable to receive :?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Some interesting thoughts there, I shall certainly do my best to keep them in mind next time I'm opening presents - regardless of the contents. :D

You've reminded me I need to prompt my children to write their thank you letters. They are usually pretty good. I would prefer a written note myself, but I'd rather receive a text or even a verbal thank you than nothing at all. I sent a friend's son a cheque for his birthday a couple of month's ago, and haven't heard anything, not even a message on Facebook. I checked my bank account, and it's been cashed, so at least I know he received it. Now he's a teenager I expect his mother feels he's old enough to remember to thank people himself, and although it would have been nice to receive an acknowledgement, I can't honestly say I've always remembered to thank people, especially when I was his age. :D

Cathy, I hope you manage to get hold of a copy of the book. I wouldn't say it should be adhered to strictly, and of course it shouldn't replace proper health checks, but I think it's worth a look if someone isn't feeling well, and all the usual tests haven't come up with an answer.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I don't like to drag the thread further off topic, but just thought it might be worth mentioning that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the blood type diet theory. I'm sure it could be incorporated into a sequel to Five Go Gluten Free, mind you... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Oh, I wouldn't be sticking to it, as Katharine says its just worth a look, I'm just interested to see what it says, as I hadn't heard of it before and am curious about it.

Funnily enough after all this talk of migraines I've got a headache starting! I don't think its going to be a migraine though, it doesn't feel bad enough.

I never do diets of any kind, I've never done one in my life, I like to eat everything, and I think that not having a car keeps the weight off; I walk everywhere no matter how far, and carry heavy shopping about, etc, and quite often I'm carrying George about too and he weighs 5kg so that's helping too!

I don't run because I don't like impact sports - I don't feel that it can be very good for you to jog your internal organs about so much as you run. Every time you put your feet down as you run, you jolt your organs about. I'd rather do things like hula hooping for your waist etc. :)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Carlotta King wrote:I won't be able to get one from the library because I ran up overdue fines and can't borrow anymore now because my card is suspended :roll: but I'll keep my eye open for a cheap one online.
Maybe not all libraries are the same but we allow people to pay off anything to bring them under the suspension limit. Ours is £20 and you get cut off, but if you paid 50p you would be back to £19.50 and able to borrow again. Or - if it has been a while you could ask for very old fines to be waived. Most libraries are so keen for people to boost their borrowing figures that they will waive older fines. Failing that most libraries will entirely wipe your details after 2-3 years if you haven't used your card and that would delete all overdues.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay wrote:I don't like to drag the thread further off topic, but just thought it might be worth mentioning that there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the blood type diet theory. I'm sure it could be incorporated into a sequel to Five Go Gluten Free, mind you... :wink:
There may or may not be any truth in the blood group diet, but it shouldn't be lumped together with a gluten free diet. In-tolerances to gluten may be unfounded in many cases, but Coeliac disease is a medically proven illness. The NHS website lists cancer as a potential risk if a gluten-free diet isn't followed. I don't see that it is a condition that should be mocked or made fun of.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I wasn't mocking gluten-free diets, Katharine — as you say, there are people who have genuine medical reasons for following them, like coeliac disease. I was poking fun at the Famous Five parody book, which features the Five following dietary and other health theories for faddish reasons rather than because of any professional medical advice, that's all.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I heard the term 'pigs in blankets' on Christmas dinners for the first time this year.
I can't believe I haven't heard the expression before.I'm sure it's not a new idea is it?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Dunno. I'd certainly never seen or heard of "pigs in blankets" in all my years in Australia, but then, we never had roast dinners for Christmas either — we traditionally have a barbecue in my family. But every Christmas at the care home where I live and work in England (and I've been here 5 years now), we always have pigs in blankets along with the turkey. We tend to have very traditional food here — most of the people we look after are in their 80s and 90s and some view even spaghetti as suspiciously foreign, bless them :wink: — so I've always assumed that pigs in blankets must be standard British Christmas fare going back at least some decades. But I may be wrong...

According to Wikipedia, there are variations on the "pigs in blankets" theme around the world, but all it says for the UK is:
In the United Kingdom, "pigs in blankets" refers to small sausages (usually chipolatas) wrapped in bacon. They are a traditional accompaniment to roast turkey for Christmas dinner. Pigs in blankets can be accompanied with devils on horseback, an appetizer of prunes wrapped in bacon.
No word on when they were invented and how long they've been "traditional" at Christmas! :P
Society Member

Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

That really surprises me Pete! :)
I think I first heard it about 20 years ago.

But then we're all different, something that's obvious to one person wont be obvious to another; until about a year ago I thought the Elgin Marbles were actually marbles :roll:

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I never remember having pigs in blankets until maybe about 20 years ago, but maybe they were around earlier than that. They certainly weren't a part of our traditional Christmas dinner when I was a child or teenager.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have only come across pigs in blankest in very recent years. I like them and have included them for our Christmas meal for the past couple of years.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member