Elvis Presley

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Elvis Presley

Post by pete9012S »

Don't think Elvis has his own thread? We have one for The Beatles and also Reg Presley,so surely Elvis deserves one?

Here's something about Elvis we come across when going on holiday to mid Wales each year.I'm sure people local to the area and also Eddie are already aware of it:

The secret life of the Elvis rock

Just beside the A44 near Eisteddfa Gurig, about 10 miles outside Aberystwyth in mid Wales, you'll see it. In a dip in the road, there's a scruffy-looking rock. On it, stark white letters are painted: ELVIS.The Elvis Rock has been there for 50 years. Since May 1962 it has been a landmark known throughout the country.

It changes; sometimes it even changes to say something entirely different, but it always reverts, within a couple of days, to the name of The King. But why? Why is it there in the first place? And who ensures it stays there?
But, aside from who actually takes it upon themselves to keep reapplying the whitewash, there's one more mystery... at least according to Bristol's Terry Filby, writing on the BBC Mid Wales website:

"I wonder if there is more to the legend of the Elvis Rock, as during the week of 2 September 1968 I was on honeymoon in and around Aberystwyth when out around the isolated dam area I came up behind a stationary, new American car with two men in it.

"I was driving a Ford Anglia 105e. As I drew close the guy on the left looked over his shoulder and I immediately said to my wife 'That's Elvis!'. She did not disagree. The car suddenly sped off and lost my Ford."
The last few times we have driven past the Elvis rock it said "ELVIS " in prominent white paint.
Has anyone else seen Elvis on the rock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entrie ... a3124bb4c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Re: Elvis Presley

Post by Billy Farmer »

Nice to see a Thread for Elvis (who has been my favourite singer, for a long time), interesting to read about the Elvis Rock, I know there is a story, that came out about, eight years ago, that Elvis once visited London, and was shown around, by Tommy Steele.

Last year, I visited (with two family members) the Elvis Exhibition, at the 02, more info on page 74 of the following Thread - http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... start=1095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recently bought a copy, of the following Elvis Magazine - http://www.vintagerockmag.com/2016/10/e ... s-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Billy Farmer wrote:I know there is a story, that came out about, eight years ago, that Elvis once visited London, and was shown around, by Tommy Steele.
This story is complete hokum. Never happened.

I too visited the O2 exhibition several times. It was excellent, very well put together.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great to see a thread devoted to the wonderful Elvis! Thanks for starting it, Pete. :D
Lucky Star wrote:
Billy Farmer wrote:I know there is a story, that came out about, eight years ago, that Elvis once visited London, and was shown around, by Tommy Steele.
This story is complete hokum. Never happened.
My feeling too, John. However, I wonder how the story started and what Tommy Steele has to say about it. As far as I know he hasn't commented on it, but I may be wrong.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Eddie,don't know if you have heard this account:
However, in a pre-recorded interview for Radio 2, Bill Kenwright, the theatre impresario and Steele's friend, let slip that Elvis, then 23, met up with 21-year-old Steele.

Kenwright said: "I remember him telling me about when Elvis came to England very quietly.

"Evidently Tommy got home one night and the phone rings. A voice says, 'They tell me you're good'.

"Tommy says, 'Who's this?' 'Elvis,' says the voice. 'Get outta here,' says Tommy. 'Are you as good as me?' says Elvis, and they sort of started this mock rivalry.

"It all came from that. It's quite something, isn't it - the thought of them wandering round London together?"

Mr Kenwright admitted that he was not sure whether he should have told the story.

Steele last night maintained his discretion, saying: "What happened many years ago is something sweet and memorable.

"It was an event shared by two young men sharing the same love of their music and the same thrill of achieving something unimaginable.

"I swore never to divulge publicly what took place and I regret that it has found some way of getting into the light.

"I only hope he can forgive me."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1897314 ... ondon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I remember reading the account several years ago, Pete. It's all very interesting, but I must admit that I read it with a pinch is salt at the time. It would be nice to think that Elvis and Tommy went sightseeing together in London, but I find it hard to believe that it happened.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks, Pete, for the story of the rock. I suppose there will always be doubt about whether Elvis and Tommy Steele met up in this country. I wonder whether Tommy was pulling Bill Kenwright's leg.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

My first Elvis LP (which I have still got), which was given to me by my mum's sister, was Elvis Gold Records - Volume 4 (the front cover of which can be seen below), I wasn't around when the LP, was first released, the LP contained 12 songs, the songs on the LP, became some of the earliest Elvis songs which I can remember.

Link to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis%27_ ... s_Volume_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which contains the track listing for the LP.

The above LP, is one of my favourite Elvis Album covers, and also features one of my favourite images of Elvis.

The above LP, contains some of my favourite Elvis songs, including the following - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyK_GbGuxyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Billy Farmer on 01 Nov 2016, 19:53, edited 3 times in total.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My first and only Elvis LP. Happily, I can listen to many more now courtesy of Deezer/Sonos.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

If that was your first Nigel I'm not surprised it was your last. :lol: Apart from the classic Return to Sender that one contained few great tracks. Still my own first wasn't overly promising either but it led to a lifelong love of the man and his music.

"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I loved the film and the LP, John! Song of the Shrimp was one of my favourites.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes I do love them too. Song of the Shrimp is very funny. I always feel very sorry for the poor little shrimp. :lol:

Society Member