Football

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Football

Post by John Pickup »

Congratulations to Stourbridge for defeating Northampton in the FA Cup.
The Owls were lucky last night, their first goal was against the run of play as Barnsley bossed the first period.
I'm confident that Brighton will win the league.
It will be tough for Forest tonight. Preston are a physical team, Forest will have to be strong.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I was delighted that Stourbridge, another West Midland team, beat Northampton in the FA Cup last night John. :D Now they have to face Wycombe away in the third round.

I'm hoping for wins for West Brom, Forest and Wigan tonight. If Wigan manage a draw or a win against Newcastle, Brighton will remain in top spot in the Championship.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

UPDATE:

West Brom 3 Swansea 1
Forest 1 Preston 1
Wigan 0 Newcastle 2

Great result for the Baggies and Forest got a point, Number 6. Shame that Wigan failed to win or draw against Newcastle. Ah, well...
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Yes, it's a shame Newcastle didn't slip up against Wigan! Another great result for the Baggies again, Eddie! They're playing quite well at the moment. :D
Another disappointing night for the Reds, though. Awful in the first half, a lot better in the second. We really should be making the home games count! :cry:
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

After two difficult games, Liverpool, got a good result, last night, a 3-0 win over Middlesbrough.

Liverpool, are second in the Premier League, and are also top scorers, in the Premier League, with 40 goals.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, you're right, Billy! I think Liverpool are constantly overlooked to win the Premiership. This is mainly due to the media bulling up Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City, etc. The media are always writing off Liverpool's chances, but I think they are genuine contenders this season. Chelsea are yet to have their "blip". If only Liverpool had a solid defence, then maybe they'd be top of the table, especially with the fire power they've got! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Sheffield Weds left it late against Rotherham, but a win is a win! It's a sign of a good side if you're still getting results whether you play well or not. :D

Forest lost 2-0 to Wolves. We had Ten first team players out, but that's no excuse. We've shown no passion, commitment or desire for the last three games, so I wasn't surprised by today's result! :roll:

As I write this, Brighton take on Birmingham. Hopefully, they Seagulls will show enough to win the encounter. :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great result for the Owls, John. :D

I was sorry to learn that Forest had lost to Wolves, Number 6. :cry:

I'm hoping that the Seagulls beat Birmingham this evening, especially as Newcastle remain in top position in the Championship after beating Burton this afternoon.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Rotherham came to Hillsborough and parked a bus in front of the goal. Their tactics were ten men behind the ball at all times, niggling fouls and wasting as much time as they could. They got what they deserved in the last minute when their centre half blatantly fouled our man in the area. 1-0 Wednesday and sixth place in the table.
I'm beginning to worry about Forest, Number 6. You've got two tough away games to come and could easily get sucked into the dogfight at the bottom.
Hard match for Brighton tonight, Eddie. But I still think you'll win the league.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, you're right John! Forest are heading towards the Championship abyss. We've made it hard for ourselves all season. Very poor tactics, too much player rotation & not knowing your best side has been down to the Manager, plus ridiculous injury problems have also contributed to our downfall. :roll:

There's nothing more frustrating than when a team parks the bus & spoils the game with niggling tactics. Think this is the only way Rotherham will play away from home this season. Damage limitation & try to sneak points! I'm glad the Owls prevailed. :D

A mixed day for you, Eddie. A fantastic result for the Seagulls :D but a bad one for the baggies! :?
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

A great result indeed for the Seagulls :D , Number 6. Sadly, the Baggies came a cropper against Manchester United :cry:.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Santa was watching the match at the Hawthorns. He was in Manchester United colours, but he had a West Brom shirt on underneath!
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A good result, for Liverpool, tonight, a 1-0 win over Merseyside rivals Everton.

A late winner, from Sadio Mane, which takes Liverpool, back to second, in the Premier League.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

They cut it fine, Billy! 90+4 minutes! Fair play to them. You have to keep going till the final whistle. :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Here's hoping the Owls beat Newcastle today, John and Forest beat Huddersfield, Number 6. :D

The Baggies have a tough match against Arsenal at the Emirates this afternoon. Brighton take on QPR at home tomorrow.

Society Member