Famous Visitors To Your School/Workplace?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Famous Visitors To Your School/Workplace?

Post by pete9012S »

I think the most famous visitor we had was Emlyn Hughes,the England and Liverpool footballer.

He came to award a charity raffle for a football signed by the whole Liverpool team.

My classmate Joe was the biggest Liverpool fan ever and his Dad sent him in with money to buy an enormous amount of raffle tickets.

Emlyn came in,announced the raffle and then picked the winning ticket.
69....There was a loud roar behind me as young Joe realised he had that ticket,amongst tons of others he had bought.

He went up to receive his glorious prize....only to discover on closer inspection that he actually had ticket 96 and was reading it upside down.

Even our normally very strict headmaster looked so sorry for the crestfallen Joe.

The prize winning ticket was actually bought by a very quiet demure girl from the younger classes.

Over to you for your school's famous visitors! :D
Last edited by pete9012S on 04 Mar 2016, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Famous Visitors To Your School?

Post by Courtenay »

In 1996, my first high school had a visit from Drew Ginn, the youngest member of the Australian men's rowing team (the Oarsome Foursome) who had just won gold in the Olympics earlier that year. He had local connections — his father was a real estate agent in our town and his grandparents were our next-door neighbours when I was little — so it was a bit of excitement for the lovely but otherwise unassuming region of South Gippsland, Victoria. I don't remember anything of what Drew said in his speech to us, but a lot of us went up for his autograph afterwards and he let us hold his Olympic gold medal, which we all thought was pretty cool! 8)

Just found out that he's since gone into cycling as well: Rowing champion Ginn set for 24-hour cycling record (haven't found out whether or not he was successful!)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

6 or 7 years ago Kiran Bedi came to my previous school. In my current school a lot of people who are locally famous have visited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiran_Bedi
You can call me Sunskriti!
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

In my primary school we had the visit of a well known novelist Franz Hohler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Hohler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
He wrote a story with us who is very crazy but funny.
In my next school we went to the capital and we visited one of the 7 minister we have in Switzerland.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Visitors To Your School/Workplace?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The only visitor I recall coming to my school was author Alison Morgan, who came to my junior school. She wasn't very famous but she was a "proper author" and I got her signature in my autograph book. We read some of her books before she came and she gave us a talk and answered our questions. I quite enjoyed the titles I read (At Willie Tucker's Place, A Boy Called Fish, Ruth Crane and maybe a couple more) but I remember very little about them now.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Pete, surely if you read 96 upside down, it's still 96?

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,you're right Dave.It must have been another number that could be misread upside down.
Unless Joe was dyslexic.

It was so sad.He was walking back to his seat in the main hall clutching his precious ball,absolutely beaming with joy when he was called back to the front and had to hand it back again. :cry:

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

We had the children's authors H.E.Todd, Nicholas Fisk and Phyllis Arkle, and the illustrator Alan Barker (Bubble and Squeak) come to our school. But the most famous celebrity was undoubtedly Johnny Ball who opened a school fete. Nine years old, I was pretty tongue tied when I queued up to get his autograph.

Years later, I can sort of claim to having a drink with Johnny. I went with a friend's family to his sister's school where Johnny was hosting a quiz. During the interval, he came and sat at our table. My friend's parents were chatting to him as though he was your regular man in the street. But I was just as tongue tied as before!
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

We also had Saumya Swaminathan, a popular and talented chess player. Then a minister or some other political figure visited.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

What we have the most is the team that won the All Ireland 'so Final. Mostly sport, but we had also have very important people, great writers, a famous quartet (I can't remember the name) and Sean OSé, a famous singer and a Soprano, which I liked the most.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote:Yes,you're right Dave.It must have been another number that could be misread upside down.
Unless Joe was dyslexic.
Possibly 61!
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Some of the Harlem Globetrotters once visited a primary school I went to. Not sure now, but I think one of the Globetrotter was Geese.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Wow!
I don't think anyone is going to top getting a visit from the trots.

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

This was 38 - 40 years ago though, Petus. :( That's why my memory is hazy, over which of the Globetrotters came.

There were only about, 3 - 4 Globetrotters, as I recall, Petus. And they did sign the back board, to a basketball hoop, as well. What happened to it, especially after almost 40 years, I don't know.

I was also privileged to see the Harlem Globetrotters at the Perth Entertainment Centre, in 1985. Sweet Lou Dunbar, and Lynette Woodard, are the 2 Globetrotters I remember from the line up. The Globetrotters did win, but I no longer remember the final score, much less who the opposing team was.

Also, The Perth Entertainment Centre was demolished, in late 2011. A new entertainment venue, called Perth Arena, was build in it's place.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Margot Fonteyn visited to talk about a career in ballet, a huge excitement for all of us who did classes though I don't know of anyone who eventually trained, and Michael Ramsay, then Archbish of Canterbury, was much more interesting than we'd anticipated - think he only came to the school as one of the Sisters was his relative :wink: . The prizes were given out one year by the Duchess of Kent. After our time the author
C S Lewis gave a talk, I would have liked to hear that!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.