The Great Carrot Cake Challenge

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The Great Carrot Cake Challenge

Post by pete9012S »

On offer at about £1.59 so more expensive than Lidl's £1.11 offering..
Aldi's Specially Selected - Topped with Walnut Nibs - whatever they are..

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and support as I endeavour to complete this self imposed task.
I'm sorry Anita that you are not able to enjoy carrot cake.

Well, I have news. I went to Aldi this evening to buy dog food for our Labrador and I just happened to spot the last carrot cake on offer.
I of course bought it along with another bottle of Champion Ale for my wife.
So, the kettle is on. The tea bag is in the pot. Let the Carrot Cake Taste Test commence....
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Well, the results are in. I must first of all apologise for my tardiness in presenting this eagerly awaited review for your enjoyment and delectation.

I have now consumed a few slices of this cake with pristine, steaming mugs of hot tea.

Do I spy a little rivalry between Lidl & Aldi? Surely not. Whilst Lidl's offering was 'hand finished' Aldi's is 'hand finished' and 'specially selected' (by who/whom??) & topped with wait for it 'walnut nibs'...no I ain't heard of them before either.

Anyway, back to the cake, that's what we're all here for, forget all this Enid Blyton malarkey.

First, what do you want from your carrot cake? You don't want it to be too heavy or earthy? Good because the Aldi cake isn't.

Flavour: should be more complex, mixing caramelised brown sugar, warming cinnamon, nutmeg and clove with its main ingredient. Topped with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with walnuts, it should be soft, but not so much that it falls apart into a million crumbs.

Check. The Aldi cake hits all those targets.

But, and it's a sad, big but, not unlike my own, there are three major drawbacks to this being a rival to Lidl's superb 9/10 cake.

One: Although the sponge is well mixed, light and fluffy, they have swirled in copious amounts of large sultanas into the mix.

At first you think there's something wrong with the sponge, there isn't, the cake is just too overloaded with sultanas - why? Again I ask why? Is this what you expect from a carrot cake? If so, why is this the only carrot cake I have ever tested that is so overladen with the damn things???

Two:' walnut nibs' - if you are going to make such a big song and dance about your cake having 'walnut nibs' they should at least be a prominent, tasty part of the cake's makeup surely?
Problem, not enough nibs, not nearly as nutty as Lidl's cake which did not promote any nibs at all.

Three: The Icing/covering of the cake. It tasted divine. Not too sweet, balanced and cut through the moist sponge perfectly.
So what's the problem? The icing layer was at least 3/4 mm too thin and therefore affected the overall balance of the icing to sponge ratio experience.
Come on Aldi - it's not rocket science. Get the depth of your icing right and you'll blow the competition right out of the water.

Minor Grumble: If you are going to plaster expressions like 'hand finished' on your cake I can just about understand that. Lidl do it, and I agree, I don't think 'iced by machines in a West Wales Food Production Plant' would draw extra punters to this cake...

It's the expression 'specially selected' that rankles. 'Specially Selected' by who? Jim from logistics? Jenny from The Midlands tasting panel - or heaven forbid, you have just added that term to the box as an empty soundbite...

Remember Aldi, I'll tell you what we want, what we really, really want - less sultanas and less soundbites, got that - we wanna zigazig ah!!!

Score: Aldi, your cake has the potential to be the very best or at least the equal of lidl's 9/10.
I'm here to help you - here's what you must do: ditch the sultanas - not needed in such capacities and ratios in your cake mix.
Make your icing layer 3/4mm thicker - don't cheat. I have a friend who knows someone who has a micrometer, and my Dad owns a set of calipers.

Don't oversell the descriptive labelling on the packaging, put all your energy into the cake itself and everything else will follow.
Word of mouth and our expanding waistlines will be all the proof you need that we are right..

Don't procrastinate, or rest on your nibs. Lidl's cake is priced very similarly to yours and it's a groundbreaking carrot cake indulging experience.

Score: Aldi, I'm giving you a generous 7/10 based on what the cake could be not what it is at present- I won't buy it again though because of those damn sultanas.

Despondent: Don't you dare get despondent Aldi. Lidl's first attempt a few years ago scored the lowest mark ever given 3/10 and yet has risen from the oven to snap at the heals of the very, very best.

So, in conclusion, go for it Aldi, show us what you're made of - Your cake has no reviews from satisfied punters, that should tell you all you need to know.
If you don't, I'm telling you! - And as a purchaser of five or six carrot cakes from varied suppliers every five of six years, you need people like me in you corner.

I will return to your cake again without warning Aldi during the next couple of years - get your carrot cake sorted - I know you can do it.

If you can offer the general public a cement mixer for £49.99, or a full genuine equestrian horse blanket at £19.99 these cake improvements are fully within your grasp.

This ends my review. If you've read this far, why? I have written this, but even I won't be re-reading it - too much cake to test and so little time! :wink: :D

But Aldi will never read this review Pete you cry. They will as I have emailed a copy of this honest review to them.
They have sent an email back already acknowledging receipt of my email directed to: Head Of Quality Control, Carrot Cake Department.

Pete out...

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

:lol: Hope Aldi enjoy the review as much as I just have! As I'm allergic to "his nibs", I'd be happy to see all nibs tossed into bins! :wink: I don't think I've ever come across copious quantities of sultanas in carrot cakes either. As far as cream cheese frosting (or similar) is concerned, the thicker the better!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks for your forbearance on this non Enid Blyton topic Anita. Once again I am sorry to hear that having to avoid nuts and now nibs stops you from enjoying this type of calorific cake!

What cake can you eat and enjoy without setting off any allergies? Oh, and I have sent an email to head office Lidl too giving them a chance to read a copy of their most impressive 9/10 offerings recent review.

I will of course keep everyone briefed should either Aldi or Lidl reply to my in depth Carrot Cake Reviews & Analysis..
Last edited by pete9012S on 28 May 2020, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Oh, I sometimes find a carrot cake I can eat as they're not always sprinkled with nuts (or nibs!) I remember having a slice of carrot cake at Old Thatch last time a group of us visited - and very scrummy it was too.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Oh, I'm glad there are some carrot cakes without nuts you can force down Anita, that's great news.

Well, Lidl have been on already - they're 'looking into it' - Which makes me feel slightly apprehensive, but hey, I did give them a 9/10 review...

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Well Lidl did promise they would be getting in touch after I contacted them regarding their (in my opinion) superb Carrot Cake...

The review I sent:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... &start=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly, still no reply from Aldi as yet regarding their extremely poor effort... :cry:

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Pete I wish I could have posted you a slice of the home made carrot cake my Aunt bought to our house last week. It had sultanas in it but it was divine, two layers of the thickest home made cream cheese frosting, never had a carrot cake like it!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you for the thought IceMaiden. That's very kind. It sounds like you enjoyed it even more than a pineapple sandwich.. :wink: :D

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I did Pete, for the very simple reason that it didn't taste soapy! For some reason carrot cake to me usually tastes of soap, like someone's accidentally dropped a bar into the bowl and mixed it in with the rest of the cake. It's horrible,leaves an awful aftertaste and ruins the cake, a pity as I do like carrot cake. My aunt's didn't and I'm wondering if it was because of the sultanas :| .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I was reminded of this thread recently when I bought a box of Mr. Kipling's '6 Carrot Cake Slices'. I went for them because they don't have nuts, to which I'm allergic, and because they were on special offer (£1 for the six). To be honest, I found them very disappointing. The taste was fairly bland, the sponge wasn't fluffy, the two or three sultanas per slice seemed out of place and the icing was hard and shiny. I don't think I could give them more than 2 out of 10!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Exceedingly NOT-so-good :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

My good wife and I have just polished off half of a £2 Morrisons own brand carrot cake with whisky, tea and real ale.
I gave it 9/10, my wife 7/10, but in her defence she is plastered (she cut her finger earlier)....

Society Member