Abba

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Jack (Adventure)

Abba

Post by MysteryOfTheGreatAuk »

Hello! Do you like Abba? What is your favorite ABBA song? Mine is propably Fernando.
Oh there are so many worth mentioning... The Day Before You Came, Lay All Your Love On Me, Head Over Heels. Their ballads are great: The Winner Takes It All, Eagle etc. Their last album The Visitors is a personal favorite of mine.
It´s amazing it´s 2009 and that Abba hype is still going on. Mamma Mia! the movie was fun. They´re still huge in the UK but never made it big in the States. Long live Abba and well-earned hooray for their life´s work.
Later.
Muminah
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers & Dog Series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent & Darrel.

Re: Abba

Post by Muminah »

I am a huge fan of ABBA and infact I'm a fan of classical music. :D I love their songs and have a few CD's too.Their Music is very pleasant and soothing to hear. My favourite song happens to be, well it's Very hard to choose one, but i'd rather settle for "Chikkikeeta". :wink:
"How funny grown-ups are!"said Anne, puzzled."I'm quite certain I shall be thrilled to see a sliding panel or a trap-door even when I'm a hundred".
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

That picture! :shock: During the 70's and early 80's it was not actually very cool to admit to liking Abba. I would therefore listen to my brother's Abba cassetes in great secrecy on his very expensive Grundig tape recorder. The track that I listened to most was Eagle, an amazing piece of music that does not really get a lot of airplay these days.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Since you ask, I prefer "When All Is Said And Done", Gadzooks goes for "Arrival", which is mostly instrumental, but, alas, Geier Vöglein, that well-known culture-vulture, is not :oops: an ABBA fan at all...she prefers the music of one Guus Meeuwis...

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :roll:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I grew up listening to Abba and still love them! My favourite song would have to be My Love, My Life but I also like When All is Said and Done, The Winner Takes it All, The Day Before You Came, Our Last Summer, Andante Andante, I Let the Music Speak , I've Been Waiting for You and Like an Angel Passing Through My Room. Beautiful melodies and harmonies, sung with great feeling.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tweenid
Favourite book/series: "Mystery" and "Adventure"
Favourite character: Bets

Post by Tweenid »

I have always loved ABBA-even when it was so-called "unfashionable"!
Its really hard to pick a favourite song,but "The Day Before You Came" and "Hole in Your Soul" are probably the two I most adore.
The recent box-set containing all of their studio albums plus a bonus disc of rarities is stunning value-I think its currently on sale in HMV the UK for £15!
That photo is truly a shocker!Still I suppose it's appropriate for Christmas,what with all the turkey foil! :D
"Food always tastes SO much nicer out of doors!"
In my teens,I wanted to be Anne from the Famous Five.
In my twenties,I realised I was.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

ABBA were possibly the first group I ever heard. Thanks to my mum, some of their mid to late 70s songs (such as 'Knowing Me Knowing You' and the haunting 'The Name of the Game') were etched on my psyche when I would only have been about four or five. But even without this nostalgic factor, I think I'd still love this group. They seamlessly went from Glam Rock to Disco, and even touched on New Wave through their years. My favourite tracks are probably 'I Do I Do I Do I Do I do' and 'So Long' which I don't believe were all that successful in the UK the first time round - yet as far as I'm concerned are pop perfection!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not myu usual kind of music but I have to admit I love ABBA. My favourite songs are probably SOS and Does Your Mother Know. Watched the film Mamma Mia for the first time recently and it was actually pretty good - utter nonsense fluff mind, but amusing all the same. The young lead actress (Karen from Mean Girls) sings really well......... unlike Pierce Brosnan :shock:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I think ABBA are everyone's guilty secret. I dont know anyone who doesn't like at least one of their songs. They are certainly timeless, most sound just as good now as they did in the 70's. I personally like I do, I do, I do and have always loved Waterloo.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:I think ABBA are everyone's guilty secret.
Utter mindless pap. The sort of music that I abhor. I will admit to reading Enid Blyton, but not to listening (and loving) ABBA.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:I dont know anyone who doesn't like at least one of their songs.
You do now - Nigel! :lol:
Moonraker wrote:Utter mindless pap. The sort of music that I abhor. I will admit to reading Enid Blyton, but not to listening (and loving) ABBA.
Even if Abba are not to your taste, dismissing their music as "utter mindless pap" seems a bit strong! The lyrics might not always be deep (though they are sometimes thoughtful, poignant or witty) but Bjorn and Benny composed some stirring tunes which were sung with emotion by Agnetha and Frida, whose voices harmonised beautifully. At least Abba wrote most of their own songs and also performed well live. That can't be said of all pop stars!

Anita

Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Bjorn and Benny composed some stirring tunes which were sung with emotion by Agnetha and Frida, whose voices harmonised beautifully. At least Abba wrote most of their own songs and also performed well live. That can't be said of all pop stars! Anita
Yes, yes, yes....how superbly well you put it, Anita.

Slick as shiny vinyl their performances might have been, but there's an ABBA song for virtually everyone whose soul swings to pitch and rhythm.....

Even that drooling Guus Meeuwis fan(atic), Geier Vöglein - last heard of flipping through electoral rolls in the Salisbury Public Library in a frantic search for the home address of a certain Mr. Nigel G. Rowe - has a few ABBA tunes on her ipod....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star and Anita, I think you missed my point! If you read my post again, I said, "I will admit to reading Enid Blyton, but not to listening (and loving) ABBA. "

That should tell you that I really like ABBA! Image
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

It appears that someone tore the ROU to ROW page out of a certain Wiltshire electorate's electoral roll held in the Salisbury Public Library. Now, who around here do we know who might well do something like that... :?:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :roll:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:Anita, I think you missed my point! If you read my post again, I said, "I will admit to reading Enid Blyton, but not to listening (and loving) ABBA. "

That should tell you that I really like ABBA! Image
:lol:

Society Member