Enid Blyton & The Summer of 1976

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Enid Blyton & The Summer of 1976

Post by Francis »

I was 26 and fancy free - but not for long!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I wasn't yet on the scene - but my parents got married in January 1976 (which is summer in Australia), and are still going strong more than 38 years later! :D (And they both love Enid Blyton's books too.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'd been married for almost 6 years in the summer of 1976. I rememer the heat very well. We also had a holiday in Cornwall that year, and it was hot!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I had been married for just over ten years in the summer of 1976 and we took our daughter, aged nine and our son, aged six for a week's caravan holiday in Shanklin on the Isle of Wight. I remember the heat being unbearable, but we had a super time exploring the island. I recall rereading the fifteen Find-Outers books that summer. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Gosh! No wonder it's hard getting anything past you in the FFO quiz!! :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've read the FFO books many times over the years, Pete and I always enjoy returning to them. In fact a complete reread is a little overdue. You could say that I am quite familiar with the series. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Happy days in a lovely summer.
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

snugglepot wrote: It seems that I was not allowed to go when I was a teenager, too poor to go when I was studying and when we had a young family, and then couldn't be bothered by the time we had the money!
Sherbet were also big in Australia back in 1976 - remember them ? Their hit Howzat was number 1 even longer than Fernando, if that's possible.

They went to the US to try and break in and came back called Highway, and were never the same again...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Maggie Knows wrote: Sherbet were also big in Australia back in 1976 - remember them ? Their hit Howzat was number 1 even longer than Fernando, if that's possible.
For anyone who needs (or wants) reminding... :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4mdLseT9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(as I said, this is before my time, but it's one of those songs that's so bad, it's good)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books

Post by snugglepot »

Maggie Knows wrote:
snugglepot wrote: It seems that I was not allowed to go when I was a teenager, too poor to go when I was studying and when we had a young family, and then couldn't be bothered by the time we had the money!
Sherbet were also big in Australia back in 1976 - remember them ? Their hit Howzat was number 1 even longer than Fernando, if that's possible.

They went to the US to try and break in and came back called Highway, and were never the same again...
Yes I remember Sherbet. I have to admit, I didn't like them. The only song of theirs I did like was an early one called "Love is a Fire" or something like that!
I wasn't fond of any of the Australian groups in the 70s except for Air Supply, if you could call them a group.
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I didn't like Sherbet either, but you couldn't get away from that song. John Paul Young (not the Led Zep bass player, I mean the Aussie singer) was another annoying heartthrob.

I was a big fan of early AC/DC (being from WA, Bon Scott was a local hero of ours). I also liked Skyhooks...
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books

Post by snugglepot »

I hated ACDC! I still do! I can't stand that kind of music!
Skyhooks were Ok. I liked "Living in the 70s", "Horror Movie", and "All My Friends are Getting Married".
I agree about JPY.
I love ballads and harmonies and old rock and roll and even disco. I can't stand heavy metal, rap or jazz.
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

I have a question.

Does Gary Russell remember when they started casting for FAMOUS FIVE? Might it have been in 1976??
Famous Five TV Fan
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Maggie Knows wrote:

Sherbet's Howzat was also a hit in the UK that year. I don't think it got to number 1, actually, but it was definitely in the top 5. I loved it! But I was only 14.
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Molly Meldrum used to tell us which music to like, and for a while we did... :lol: