The Weather

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Batten down the hatches for the storm of the century?

Post by Poppy »

...there isn't a breath of wind
You know what they say "Calm before the storm..." :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Yep, it really is! :)
It reminds me of how the sea retreats for miles before a huge tidal wave - very eerie!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

:lol: All has suddenly gone quiet here; it was rather windy and rainy a minute a go and suddenly it's all gone silent and still... Any updates of the south?
We have been looking at a few storm webcams but they seem to have been cut of, presumably because of weather conditions? Anyway, hope all is OK!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I looked at the Dawlish one again about twenty mins ago,

http://www.livestream.com/rcdawlish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it was too dark to see anything really, you can just about see the waves and they were looking rougher than earlier on, I think high tide is about half 11 tonight.
It's raining here but still not windy, like you've got there, very calm and still, very surreal! Seems like everything is 'holding its breath'! :shock:

UPDATE just checked it again this minute and the waves are definitely a lot bigger and more frequent now, it's on the way I reckon! :D
Wow really big waves and tons of spray!!!! :shock:

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It's raining quite hard in shipping area Salisbury East, but at present there is almost no wind at all. It might be a storm in a teacup!
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Same here Tony, heavy rain but no wind as yet, although it's blowing a gale in Dawlish, really big waves crashing up the sea wall and washing up against a house wall. I can't take my eyes off the storm-cam :D

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

After listening to blustery winds since about 5.00, I got up at 7.30 and thought 'well, that wasn't as bad as predicted'. I spoke too soon. In the past half hour the wind has really picked up, someone's recycling bin has blown into the road, and there are bits of paper flying around. I walked into the kitchen just in time to see a fence panel snap in two. Thankfully my neighbour was in his garden, so moved it for me, I really didn't fancy going outside.

I hope no one else has suffered anything worse than the loss of a (rather old and rotten) piece of fencing.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Heavy rain and some wild winds throughout the night here but if there was anything spectacular I must have slept through it. My local train services are cancelled until later on but that's about it. Mind you I haven't been out and about yet. It's currently bright, sunny and very breezy.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for the webcam link, Cathy - a wonderful view of the FGW mainline! I've checked the live departures and am eagerly awaiting a couple of trains!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It rained quite heavy here around 9pm ish last night, and the dog didn't really want to go far for his last walk, just to the end of the road, actually, and he dragged Stephen all the way back again. We slept through it, but apparently Cornwall did well and escapaed most of it, as it hadn't gained to much momentome. I think the wind reached about 60/63, but it didn't bother us at all. It gained once out of Cornwall I think. Woke to blue skies here, but it's a bit cloudy now but dry again, after a short drizzle of rain. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:and escapaed most of it, as it hadn't gained to much momentome.
And she picks me up on my mistakes! :roll:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:and escapaed most of it, as it hadn't gained to much momentome.
And she picks me up on my mistakes! :roll:
It is only Monday old thing! :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

Moonraker wrote:Thanks for the webcam link, Cathy - a wonderful view of the FGW mainline! I've checked the live departures and am eagerly awaiting a couple of trains!
You're welcome - it's a great view isn't it! I was watching it for hours yesterday, both in the daylight and in the dark! :)

Well we certainly had a good old storm last night - it was getting ever so slightly windy when I finally went to sleep at about midnight, but I woke up at about half 3 and it was incredible out there - the air was full of leaves, trees were looking as if they'd snap, there were traffic cones and bins blowing down the street, I was expecting the lamp-post outside to go, as it was blowing about something awful and looked most unsteady, thankfully it didn't break.
There was, at one point, a huge crash, still no idea what it was, George nearly leapt out of his skin, it sounded at first as if it was in our building but I don't think it could have been, my first thought was the windows! :shock:

Glad to hear you escaped most of it Julie! :)

Beautiful day outside now, still very windy but lovely blue sky and sunshine :)

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

[quote
Your house sounds amazing - if I lived somewhere overlooking the sea like that I would be permanently sat at the window :D :D[/quote]

We're hugely lucky to live here Carlotta, I could watch the seagulls float low over the water all day, very therapeutic - my excuse for dossing :lol: :lol: ! The first week we moved in though the "big" curtains in the drawing room weren't ready and with 100 mile an hour gales racing by, looking out on the roaring, whirling blackness was very chilling and we wondered if we'd done the right thing.... No repeat performance till yesterday though, and definitely no regrets :) !
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Lucky Star wrote:
floragord wrote: Staggering views and stunning sunsets over Beachy Head, Carlotta, we love it, but definitely "confined to barracks" today, monstrous seas smashing in and the building swaying in the howling wind! Look after yourself if you head out with the camera!
You must be somewhere around East Dean then? I bet the views today are spectacular. I wouldn't like to go walking over those cliffs today though.
Just about equidistant between Eastbourne and Hastings Lucky Star, fabulous views out to sea with Beachy Head and the South Downs off to our right! The cliffs along near Seven Sisters are crumbling quite speedily unfortunately, several of the houses near the edge have disappeared, not the safest place for a toddle, especially in a breeze! :|
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.