The Weather

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Batten down the hatches for the storm of the century?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Carlotta King wrote:Crikey I've just looked at the forecast and there are going to be 35mph gales in Devon in the early hours of Monday! :shock: :shock:
I think you may have misread this as 80 mph was the figure I heard. Surely 35 mph is just a stiff breeze!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Oh my goodness, well yes compared to 80mph, 35 is definitely just a breeze! I only checked the weather for Exeter so didn't see any forecasts for other parts of the country, if other places are getting 80mph then we Devon residents are getting let off lightly I think! 35mph sounded a lot to me when I first read it but compared to 80 it's not such a lot after all! :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have just seen the latest forecast 60 to 80 mph expected. Check that out on the Beaufort scale:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Looks like we're going to get it first! It's been on our local news, coming in on Sunday evening, through to Monday. Boats have to be anchored down well etc, and things in your garden made secure! Just put our rotary line for drying clothes in the shed!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It seems that the whole Southern area is due for storms on Sunday night into Monday morning. Time to snuggle up with chocolate and books methinks. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hope the predictions for the winds turn out to be over zealous, and that no one suffers any damage/injury.

Julie, I'm surprised you've put your clothes dryer away, I'd have thought you'd have pegged everything on well, and watched your clothes dry in a matter of minutes. :wink:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I think it might have a spot of rain with it, Katharine, not too helpful for drying clothes! :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Katharine wrote:
Julie, I'm surprised you've put your clothes dryer away, I'd have thought you'd have pegged everything on well, and watched your clothes dry in a matter of minutes. :wink:
:lol: :lol: As Tony says, Katharine, we'll have a bit of rain too, infact, galloons of it according to the weather!!! I won't be venturing out, that's a fact, and neither will Morgan. He'll have to keep his legs crossed all day, as he doesn't even like going in the garden to spend a penny when it's raining!!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well maybe Julie could cover the clothes in washing powder, and then let the rain rinse them first. I'm sure the wind will last longer than the rain. :D

Seriously, I've just seen our local forecast, and even here in Suffolk we've been advised the winds could be damaging, and we aren't expected to bear the brunt of the storm. So those who will get the worst of it have my sympathy.
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Crikey this all sounds very scary!
I'm slightly concerned about my roof now as it's not exactly the strongest of structures I don't think, even when we get a good old breeze (ie 15-20mph) it whistles and makes a racket and clatters, I reckon I'm about to see a few tiles flying. :(
Having said that I'm worried about my windows too - strong winds can break glass! :( It's double glazed but it's just a bit scary when you live on your own!

I hope no-one gets hurt in these awful winds!
Julie you'd better take your owl inside I think! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Floragood wrote
Ah, a previous neighbour!, we're along the coast a bit Francis at Bexhill. As you can imagine there's a siege mentality here following the forecast, it does get a tad breezy here on the seafront! We lived in Harrow in 1987 and couldn't get off the hill for fallen trees and wrecked cars, as you say lets hope there's not such a severe replay to come
Hello ex-neighbour! We left Hastings in 1992 but still visit every year to stay with our daughter. We always
spend a day in Bexhill and have tea in the 'De la Warr'.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

In 1987 the wind was a constant 70-90 mph with a gust of 145 mph in Guernsey where many greenhouses were severely damaged. The strength of the wind on Sunday night will depend on how quickly the pressure falls and then rises - in 1987 the following day was quite fine and sunny. The strongest winds will be to the south of the depression wherever that will be. The one good thing is that the storm will be moving very fast (the Jetstream is 200 mph) and will not last for a very long time
Society Member
Rebeccadanielle
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clare's,

Post by Rebeccadanielle »

Stay safe everyone.
Of course I'm on the other side of the world, but down here in Tasmania we've had some strong winds and heavy rain. The wind hasn't been unusually strong for us. The worst I remember was in March 2008. We had cyclonic winds that got up to 174km/h. (but that was probably recorded on Mt. Wellington to be that high, but it was still very strong elsewhere) I remember being in bed listening to the roof straining to stay on the house. A lot of people lost their houses due to trees falling on them. A friend of mine was nearly killed when a tree fell on her house, she woke up to see a massive tree above her.
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

It looks very much that on the edge of the main warning area in the Midlands so I may escape most of it or possibly not so I'll play it very much based on the forecast nearer the day although I'll edge on the side of caution as I'm not exactly heavy and nor good on my feet.
I don't wish to impersonate a kite! :shock:
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Francis wrote:Floragood wrote
Ah, a previous neighbour!, we're along the coast a bit Francis at Bexhill. As you can imagine there's a siege mentality here following the forecast, it does get a tad breezy here on the seafront! We lived in Harrow in 1987 and couldn't get off the hill for fallen trees and wrecked cars, as you say lets hope there's not such a severe replay to come
Hello ex-neighbour! We left Hastings in 1992 but still visit every year to stay with our daughter. We always
spend a day in Bexhill and have tea in the 'De la Warr'.
Small world Francis, we live just opposite the De La Warr! How nice you revisit Hastings each year, there've been huge changes there since we came here in 2000, the station and Sussex Coast College are transformed! We enjoy the Old Town, take all our visitors for a look-see and lunch at Maggie's fish place!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.