Your accent?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Your accent?

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I think 'nippy' is fairly wide-spread - but with the 'ay it' on the end, it always sounded strange! :-D

I think I've mentioned one saying the older members of my family always used, before - and that is 'behopes' - as in 'behopes he gets home before it rains' or 'behopes you enjoy it' etc. I'm not exactly sure what it means as a direct translation - 'best hopes'? 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
John Pickup wrote:Where I live we pronounce water as "watter" and potatoes as "taytees". Nobody can murder the English language better than someone from Lincolnshire.
I didn't realise 'watter' was a Lincolnshire pronunciation. :-D We had a caravan at Fradley Junction, South Staffs, and many people came from the Dudley/Walsall area, and they also tend to say 'watter' instead of 'water'. One man always used to say 'nippy a it?' (meaning it was a bit chilly!) ;-) - and as the caravans weren't plumbed in at that time, he often said 'I'm goona fetch some watter' ;-)
'Watter' is also used widely in Nottinghamshire. As is Shot= Shirt, Trolleys= Trousers, Tab-hanging= Listening to other people's conversations, Clobber= Clothes; The list goes on & on & on!! To say we're a small Island, the dialects are so incredibly diverse. :D
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

number 6 wrote: 'Watter' is also used widely in Nottinghamshire. As is Shot= Shirt, Trolleys= Trousers, Tab-hanging= Listening to other people's conversations, Clobber= Clothes; The list goes on & on & on!! To say we're a small Island, the dialects are so incredibly diverse. :D
I know 'clobber' from the above list but had not heard of the rest.
Rob Houghton wrote: I think I've mentioned one saying the older members of my family always used, before - and that is 'behopes' - as in 'behopes he gets home before it rains' or 'behopes you enjoy it' etc. I'm not exactly sure what it means as a direct translation - 'best hopes'? 8)
I wonder if it's a contraction of "it is to be hoped that..."
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote: I wonder if it's a contraction of "it is to be hoped that..."
Ah yes - that makes sense! :-D My Great-aunt was always saying it!

Also 'Its black over Bill's mothers' - which I think is quite a widespread saying. Funnily enough though, when my mom was a child she heard people saying it and used to wonder why it was always black and stormy over her dad's mother's house, as his name was Bill! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I first met the "Black over Bill's mother's" when we moved to Staffordshire from Kent, so I assumed it was a local phrase - but maybe a fairly wide-spread Midlands saying would be more accurate.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I don't have much feedback about my accent when speaking English, but as far as I know it's considered German, though it's not too thick.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

André was perfectly able to understand you when we met at Mespelbrunn Castle 3 years ago, Wolfgang. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote:I first met the "Black over Bill's mother's" when we moved to Staffordshire from Kent, so I assumed it was a local phrase - but maybe a fairly wide-spread Midlands saying would be more accurate.
That's interesting! I'd assumed it was a widespread saying, but maybe not!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'd never heard of "black over Bill's mother's", so I looked it up just now to see where the saying originated and found a few more beside... England's oddest phrases explained
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Nippy is used where I am too. But never heard of catching pips!

I would have to say that Katharine, Eddie and Daisy all have accents to me. None of them strong but different enough to what I'm used to to be noticeable.

I think the prevalence of certain accents on TV helps in making them understood to more people. We have moved away from RP being necessary for newsreaders but major channels usually have well-spoken accents, and if they're regional ones they are quite toned down. We were talking about Neighbours on the other thread and if you'd spent a lot of time watching that it would probably be easier to understand an Australian in real life for example.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much to all of you for the inputs. They help me to understand better. I really wonder which accent that British people consider as posh? I know the meaning of posh but I do not know the example of posh accent. If possible, please share a youtube link of a person who speak in “posh accent” so that I can listen and understand better. :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:I'd never heard of "black over Bill's mother's", so I looked it up just now to see where the saying originated and found a few more beside... England's oddest phrases explained
A few of those are very familiar to me - 'couldn't stop a pig in an entry' is the usual phrase in Birmingham, and we have always said 'going all round the Wreckin'. That's something still very much said today. Of course, even Enid Blyton knew the phrase 'being sent to Coventry'! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:Thank you so much to all of you for the inputs. They help me to understand better. I really wonder which accent that British people consider as posh? I know the meaning of posh but I do not know the example of posh accent. If possible, please share a youtube link of a person who speak in “posh accent” so that I can listen and understand better. :D
I think your idea of posh alters depending how posh you are, lol! My idea of posh is probably someone who speaks with a classic BBC received pronunciation accent.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

There was one dear lady at my church — she passed away just recently at the age of 93, bless her — who spoke with what you might call an extreme RP accent, the way the Royal Family spoke in the 1950s and earlier. The really, really posh upper class accent that you hardly ever hear nowadays, that is. Even the Queen doesn't speak like that any more — if you listen, she's toned it down quite a lot in the last few decades! But our friend Margaret, though she was really quite down-to-earth, never toned down her accent at all... I wouldn't have dared to giggle at it in front of her, of course, but it was hard to resist. In particular, she always pronounced "lost" as "lorst" — so you get the idea. :lol: (Oh yes, and "often" as "orphan"... frequently. :wink: :wink: )

As I was saying, that's one accent you don't hear very much now at all outside of films and old newsreel footage, but a few years ago I did hear a surprisingly young-looking chap speaking like that into his phone as he was walking through the barrier gates at Victoria Station — "Ay'm oenly goeing from hyah to Cleppem Junction." Ever since then I've nicknamed it the Hyah to Cleppem Junction accent. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:Thank you so much to all of you for the inputs. They help me to understand better. I really wonder which accent that British people consider as posh? I know the meaning of posh but I do not know the example of posh accent. If possible, please share a youtube link of a person who speak in “posh accent” so that I can listen and understand better. :D
Hugh Grant.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock