What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Courtenay wrote:Anyway, for me part of the difficulty is that in my job I work mainly with elderly people, many of whom don't hear very well and you have to speak louder for them, and then sometimes I forget when I'm talking with people who can hear fine! :lol:
that's the same with me. I've been a carer for a few family members or close elderly friends over the years - and as a couple of them were hard of hearing, I got used to projecting my voice more than is normal. My dad is also slightly hard of hearing, so I tend to do the same with him. Then, when with those who can hear, I'm always getting told to tone it down! :oops: :lol:
It happens to me as well, but one thing is I also prefer if people talk loud to me (like not very loud but you know) :lol: Unfortunately a good lot of my dad's family have hearing problems so I'm used to talking quite loud to them. Then, I come from Spain, so I don't know why but we talk like REALLY loud there, and my mum always tries to correct me on that.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Machupicchu14 wrote: It happens to me as well, but one thing is I also prefer if people talk loud to me (like not very loud but you know) :lol: Unfortunately a good lot of my dad's family have hearing problems so I'm used to talking quite loud to them.
You start wondering if talking loud is the source of the problem... ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote: I have a Primark water bottle that doesn't leak for when I'm in bed
I have never slept with anyone who takes a bottle of water to bed. Let alone one who sleeps with it. :|
I've got into the habit of taking a bottle of water to bed with me (although not actually into the bed!). It started when I had a tickly cough and I kept waking in the night needing a drink. It is so much easier just to reach out and take a sip than have to get out of bed and trudge off to the bathroom to get a drink every 5 minutes. Although at this time of year I also take a bottle of water into bed with me - a hot water bottle for my feet. :wink:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay wrote:There are a lot of cultures where talking loudly (and over each other) is just part of being friendly and fun and a family — it's what people do. Aussies are louder than Brits, and certain communities like the Italians and the Greeks are known for being louder still. My mum's family are Polish/Russian and they talk loud too! But over here I soon found myself getting told off by British friends for being "too loud" and had to learn to tone it down. Which isn't always a bad idea! :wink: But it's really more a difference in cultural expectations rather than one way being "right" or "wrong", I think.
Interesting comments Courtenay. So how would you have felt on the bus that Nigel was on, or being in a similar situation where you wanted to read, or have a conversation with some you were sitting with? Are you able to block out the voices so you can concentrate on the book? Would you just raise your voice to the person sitting next to you so as to make yourself heard? As for talking over each other, obviously being English that just seems extremely rude to me, but that aside, if everyone is talking over each other, than that just seems a waste of time, as how can anyone hear what the others are saying? :? Personally I'd find it physically painful if someone was talking loudly to me.

I don't think talking loudly is necessarily a cultural 'thing' these days or the result of people being hard of hearing, there was a young British woman on a recent train journey I was taking who was talking very loudly into her mobile phone. I tried to concentrate on my book, but it was hard to blot out the woes of her house share at uni etc. etc. :roll: The other thing about talking loudly in a public place is that you never know who might overhear something they shouldn't, or perhaps over cultures don't discuss personal issues in public?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

One reason I've never read a book on public transport! I just couldn't concentrate, as there's too much going n, lol! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It's ok for a short journey, but I couldn't have coped with my 6 hours+ on a train to Liverpool last year without a book. Especially the return journey as much of it was in the dark, so I couldn't even admire the scenery!
Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Rob Houghton wrote:One reason I've never read a book on public transport! I just couldn't concentrate, as there's too much going n, lol! :lol:
Exactly!! (And I definitely don't want to lose my temper lol) :lol:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Although when the occasion comes I always take a book with me wherever I go. Couldn't be without one! :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Wolfgang wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote: It happens to me as well, but one thing is I also prefer if people talk loud to me (like not very loud but you know) :lol: Unfortunately a good lot of my dad's family have hearing problems so I'm used to talking quite loud to them.
You start wondering if talking loud is the source of the problem... ;-).
Haha! Who knows? :wink: :lol:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: Interesting comments Courtenay. So how would you have felt on the bus that Nigel was on, or being in a similar situation where you wanted to read, or have a conversation with some you were sitting with? Are you able to block out the voices so you can concentrate on the book? Would you just raise your voice to the person sitting next to you so as to make yourself heard?
I really don't know... it'd depend on what sort of mood I was in at the time! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote: I have a Primark water bottle that doesn't leak for when I'm in bed
I have never slept with anyone who takes a bottle of water to bed. Let alone one who sleeps with it. :|
When you're breastfeeding through the night you get very thirsty and it's far easier to have a non-leaking water bottle which you can put down on the bed than a glass of water you've got to get back to a bedside table!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fair point!
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I've just has this lovely email off Photobucket, whom ever since they stopped allowing forum image hosting, I've not used but not actually deleted my account either. However I think I will now:

"Hello ,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.

The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

:shock: :shock: :shock: $100 a year for being able to upload some photos that other sites do for free?! I'm sure people will be flocking back to them!! :roll:
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very strange behaviour I agree!

Perhaps if they has asked every one for a modest amount they would not have lost all their custom?

I now use Imgur which I think Courtenay recommended?

https://imgur.com/DLDiAeu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Absolutely ridiculous, Ice Maiden! As you say they used to offer that for free and others still do so why on earth would you pay $100 dollars a year??
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member