What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well, I thought it was brilliant! Very powerful piece of writing, and I don't give praise lightly! :D

Needless to say, I voted for it! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also voted for it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think the initial ideas and paragraphs I read could easily be turned into a longer story or even a novel. It would make a great first page!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Heading home now via Clun!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Well, I thought it was brilliant! Very powerful piece of writing, and I don't give praise lightly! :D

Needless to say, I voted for it! :-D
Thank you so much! Glad you liked it. :D
Eddie Muir wrote:I also voted for it. :D
Thank you!
You can call me Sunskriti!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Sat waiting for a parcel that should have been here since wednesday and I've no tracking number for it to see where it's got to.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I'm feeling very relieved its finally the weekend. I swear I've been non-stop working since I started Sixth form, they weren't lying when they told us that A Levels were loads more work than GCSEs!! :shock:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I think you'll find the hard work worth it, Poppy. Good luck with your studies. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Poppy wrote:I'm feeling very relieved its finally the weekend. I swear I've been non-stop working since I started Sixth form, they weren't lying when they told us that A Levels were loads more work than GCSEs!! :shock:
Which subjects are you going in for, Poppy? I'm doing AS maths at the moment and will go on to do A in 2018.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

IceMaiden wrote:Sat waiting for a parcel that should have been here since wednesday and I've no tracking number for it to see where it's got to.
IceMaiden I know how that feels!
I was waiting all day Wednesday for a certified package coming from Germany (I had a tracking number and was expecting it to be delivered 2 days ago, plus the mail man needs my signature). When I heard the mail falling in our mail box, I ran downstairs to catch the mail man to give him my signature, but he already drove off in his van. :roll:
He left us a card that nobody was at home. :evil: :twisted:

Yesterday when I picked up the package at the USPS office, I complained that less and less mail men (our mail men are changing quite often) ring at our door. They just assume that nobody is at home, write a card and put it in the mailbox.
So what's more time-consuming for a mail man: to fill out a card or to ring at the door to get somebody's signature?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Eddie Muir wrote:I think you'll find the hard work worth it, Poppy. Good luck with your studies. :D
Yeah, its definitely already been worth it for the grades I got in my initial assessments, which I'm really pleased with. Thanks, Eddie!
Darrell71 wrote:
Poppy wrote:I'm feeling very relieved its finally the weekend. I swear I've been non-stop working since I started Sixth form, they weren't lying when they told us that A Levels were loads more work than GCSEs!! :shock:
Which subjects are you going in for, Poppy? I'm doing AS maths at the moment and will go on to do A in 2018.
I'm doing English Literature, Psychology and Sociology, Sunskriti. How are you enjoying Maths? :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Poppy wrote: I'm doing English Literature, Psychology and Sociology, Sunskriti. How are you enjoying Maths? :D
I'm thinking of doing English Language, Psychology and Economics in 2018, so I'll definitely remember to ask you for a few tips. :wink:
Maths isn't one of my favorite subjects, but I need it for economics, and it also holds weight in US Universities. So I'm having to force my way through. :lol: It's actually enjoyable though, especially probability. :) I gave my Statistics AS exam yesterday and the Maths one is on the 16th.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Ah yeah, I was surprised when you said you were doing Maths; I thought you were more of an "English/writing" type of person. :D But it's worth doing if it's going to be valuable for getting into University, like you say. My friend does English Language and he loves it, but personally, I definitely prefer Literature! Anyway, my friend tells me that Language is largely focussed on different types of words (eg. nouns/adverbs/prepositions) which I didn't expect; Language at GCSE is mainly centred around creative writing, but I don't know, maybe that comes later in the course. I'm absolutely loving Psychology. We're doing all about Research Methods at the moment, which is apparently the most boring part of the course, but I'm quite enjoying it to be honest. It's a lot to remember, but I've got my revision resources well and truly sorted! It's Mind maps galore in my house right now! :lol: Anyway, good luck for it all! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Poppy wrote:Ah yeah, I was surprised when you said you were doing Maths; I thought you were more of an "English/writing" type of person. :D But it's worth doing if it's going to be valuable for getting into University, like you say. My friend does English Language and he loves it, but personally, I definitely prefer Literature! Anyway, my friend tells me that Language is largely focussed on different types of words (eg. nouns/adverbs/prepositions) which I didn't expect; Language at GCSE is mainly centred around creative writing, but I don't know, maybe that comes later in the course.
Interesting to hear how the courses have changed! When I did A Levels, way back in 1987/88ish I did both English Lit and English Lang as well as Art. In those days English Language was definitely creative-writing based, with very, very little regards nouns, adverbs, prepositions etc. I really enjoyed it much more than English Literature - though I liked that too - and the art of course! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

What books did you study in literature, Rob? We're doing A Streetcar Named Desire, The Handmaid's Tale and Hamlet. I wasn't sure about them at first but now we're studying them in depth, I find them a lot more interesting. It's certainly a whole different level to GCSE in so many respects; as well as being a lot more advanced in the amount of detail we are expected to go into, the books are very sexually focussed (certainly The Handmaid's Tale which, if anyone saw the Channel 4 TV series, will be aware of! :shock: It was extremely disturbing!!), which is also, um, very different to GCSE and often quite awkward to discuss in front of a class of 30 and a 50-odd year old teacher :lol:
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member