What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Katharine »

I'm just wondering if I'll have to go food shopping tomorrow. My son has just returned home on a surprise visit. He's only been back at uni for about 3 weeks, but has finished his exams for now and has a week before his next term starts, so decided to come back for a few days. :D
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Just re-watching the fabulous 3 part BBC Big Cats programme, which concluded on Thursday. What a superb insight into some of the Worlds most rare & elusive animals. Beautifully done. :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: We buy bottled water (the 500 ml bottles) every now and then in order to reuse the bottles to carry tap water, as they can be used numerous times without the plastic disintegrating. We started buying them after going through a number of plastic beakers that leaked or were too heavy or cumbersome. Only bottles of water with screw caps will do, and only sturdily-made ones like Evian or Still Scottish Mountain Water by Sainsbury's (I'm sure other sturdy brands are available but they're the ones we usually get). Some others are too flimsy and become crumpled or dented after just a few uses. I've got a bottle on the go which I've already been using for at least six weeks and it looks as good as new. The expiry date (i.e. the date when the plastic starts to disintegrate) is November 2019, though I think the bottle will become battered long before then!
I use bottles of Fanta taking tab water to work for two weeks. If I used them longer the barcode could be damaged and I wouldn't get my money back (happened two times). We aren't allowed to use glass bottles in the office.
Last edited by Wolfgang on 27 Jan 2018, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

A spokesperson for Water UK was on the news yesterday, regarding free "water refill" stations to be rolled out across the country where plastic bottles can be re-used, in a bid to cut down on the mountains of discards. It sounds a great idea, don't know we'll see much benefit here in rural Wales but no doubt in towns and cities there'll be numerous vantage points.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:apparently its because most plastic bottles are 'single use' as the plastic quickly deteriorates (becomes 'rough) and can become prone to bacteria etc, which can cause cancers etc - so people are advised not to reuse them. Many people don't know that plastic bottles shouldn't be reused.
We buy bottled water (the 500 ml bottles) every now and then in order to reuse the bottles to carry tap water, as they can be used numerous times without the plastic disintegrating. We started buying them after going through a number of plastic beakers that leaked or were too heavy or cumbersome. Only bottles of water with screw caps will do, and only sturdily-made ones like Evian or Still Scottish Mountain Water by Sainsbury's (I'm sure other sturdy brands are available but they're the ones we usually get). Some others are too flimsy and become crumpled or dented after just a few uses. I've got a bottle on the go which I've already been using for at least six weeks and it looks as good as new. The expiry date (i.e. the date when the plastic starts to disintegrate) is November 2019, though I think the bottle will become battered long before then!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Talking of bottled water, a few weeks ago I was looking around for a good quality reusable water bottle — I always carry drinking water with me (comes of having lived in a hot climate for much of my life) and finally decided I'd had enough of buying disposable plastic bottles. I did refill and reuse them, but they do deteriorate after a while, as others here have said. Here are a couple of lists I found online, if anyone else is also interested...

12 best water bottles

The 10 best reusable water bottles 2018

I ended up buying the first one on the second list, the Thermos Intak, since I just wanted a simple water bottle and wasn't interested in insulation or filtering or fruit infusions or anything fancy like that. I'm very happy with it, as it holds more water than a standard disposable bottle, isn't too heavy even when full, is easily washable and the spout is easy to drink from. :D So that's what I'd recommend, but as you can see from the links above, there's a bottle to suit just about every taste!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thanks,Coutenay.

I drink plenty of plain lukewarm water every day. I can drink more than 4 litres of water everyday. I prefer my plain water to be lukewarm even in a hot day! So, I use a very big mug(can fill up to 1 litre) made from stainless steel when at home/work place. The combination of hot water and plastic bottle is a big no.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Is lukewarm water probably less of a shock to the digestion than a chilled drink?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On a train recently, a woman opposite obviously had a problem. Every couple of minutes she would unscrew her bottle and take a very small swig - barely enough to swallow - screw the lid on and put it down. It was one of those really noisy, crinkly bottles. Sipping water is a real craze these days, but this woman took the biscuit. I eventually moved to another seat.

Whilst on the subject of irritating people, why do foreigners - especially Spanish people, it would seem - have to talk so loudly. We went to Bournemouth by bus yesterday, and two women and a man sat lust behind us. Honestly, one of these woman spoke incessantly in her native language language for the whole journey. She didn't stop. All of us on the top deck had bleeding ears by the time we got to Bournemouth. Why are they so LOUD?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Whilst on the subject of irritating people, why do foreigners - especially Spanish people, it would seem - have to talk so loudly. We went to Bournemouth by bus yesterday, and two women and a man sat lust behind us. Honestly, one of these woman spoke incessantly in her native language language for the whole journey. She didn't stop. All of us on the top deck had bleeding ears by the time we got to Bournemouth. Why are they so LOUD?
I think the main problem here is that WE are so quiet. As a nation we tend to talk softly - sometimes even whisper - so that others don't hear our conversations in public - but nearly every other nation on earth speaks loudly - French, Spanish, American, Chinese, Indian etc. Its more our problem than other people's, in my view. We are too introverted, and expect everyone else to be the same. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

You've probably got a point there, Rob. There are a lot of cultures where talking loudly (and over each other) is just part of being friendly and fun and a family — it's what people do. Aussies are louder than Brits, and certain communities like the Italians and the Greeks are known for being louder still. My mum's family are Polish/Russian and they talk loud too! But over here I soon found myself getting told off by British friends for being "too loud" and had to learn to tone it down. Which isn't always a bad idea! :wink: But it's really more a difference in cultural expectations rather than one way being "right" or "wrong", I think.

Anyway, for me part of the difficulty is that in my job I work mainly with elderly people, many of whom don't hear very well and you have to speak louder for them, and then sometimes I forget when I'm talking with people who can hear fine! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:Anyway, for me part of the difficulty is that in my job I work mainly with elderly people, many of whom don't hear very well and you have to speak louder for them, and then sometimes I forget when I'm talking with people who can hear fine! :lol:
that's the same with me. I've been a carer for a few family members or close elderly friends over the years - and as a couple of them were hard of hearing, I got used to projecting my voice more than is normal. My dad is also slightly hard of hearing, so I tend to do the same with him. Then, when with those who can hear, I'm always getting told to tone it down! :oops: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This conversation really reminds me of Mrs Richards!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43-7fGKKg2s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Definitely. :lol: :mrgreen: I must admit I don't think I've ever had to deal with anyone quite as difficult as Mrs Richards. (Or Basil Fawlty, for that matter.)
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I bought a Brita filter jug to stop me buying bottled water (I really hate the taste of tap water!) and I have a Primark water bottle that doesn't leak for when I'm in bed or out during the day.

I agree there is far too much single-use plastic out there including (but not limited to) take away coffee cups, packaging on food, toiletries (not so much the plastic shampoo bottle, but the plastic tray inside the cardboard bx with a plastic window), toys, games...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote: I have a Primark water bottle that doesn't leak for when I'm in bed
I have never slept with anyone who takes a bottle of water to bed. Let alone one who sleeps with it. :|
Society Member