Blue Peter

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Blue Peter

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:
poddys wrote: The classic episode was one where they had a baby elephant on the program, and it pooped all across the set
Is THIS the one?
Yes, good old Lulu!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I've seen the baby elephant one but I think only on TV outtake programmes .. I don't recall watching it live and might have been too young (or even not born)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I very vaguely remember Lesley Judd, and therfore possibly John and Peter as well. My first definite team were Simon Groom, Tina Heath and Chris Wenner. Simon Groom was this DJ who apparently came from a farming background. And even though she was quite young, Tina Heath always reminded me of a stern looking school mistress! I remember the Mike Oldfield episode, talk of Cambodia, the summer holiday to Egypt and Joey Deacon. I'm afraid Percy Thrower's garden used to bore me silly - though a bit of my childhood was lost when they announced it had been vandalised.

Remember the Blue Peter spin-off, Duncan Dares?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hadn't heard of Duncan Dares, but I do remember Go With Noakes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

"Get down Shep"...
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I hadn't heard of Duncan Dares, but I do remember Go With Noakes.
This sort of thing probably wouldn't be allowed now, but it involved former presenter Peter Duncan continuing his daredevil persona by doing some incredibly dangerous stunts. I remember one episode where he learns to tightrope walk. It starts with him practicing in his garden about a foot off the ground to the end, a few months later where he's actually performing in a circus. There's a bit where he's standing in the middle of this high wire, and he's describing his legs turning to jelly at that moment.

Terrifying! :shock:
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I can just about remember Christopher Trace as a presenter with Valerie Singleton.

I even got a Blue Peter Badge for entering the 5th Blue Peter book competition (small round button badge with a red ship on it).

Overall I liked the mix. I wasn't allowed pets, so enjoyed all the animals. I liked the out-and-about reports, and the history stories told with drawings. I didn't like the things to make (I never have liked making things, and couldn't afford sticky back plastic!)

I know that the BBC were always worried about "what to do about" Blue Peter and its middle class sub-plot (whatever that is), but I never liked the ITV version Magpie.

I do wonder what kids TV has to offer a child like me nowadays. But I do enjoy Horrible Histories!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

You're just a middle class girl, Viv - nothing wrong in that. The
Famous Five personify the best in middle class values - decency,
honesty and responsibility. Of course plenty of working class
families and children have the same values and enjoy Enid's
writings.
Society Member
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

At the moment, Helen Skelton and Barney Harwood arethe presenters. Plus Barney the dog too.

They still give away badges and I got one today- Yay. It was a purple one
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I never saw Magpie, though I'm connected with it in that Jenny Hanley is exactly the same age to the day as my mum!

As for Crackerjack, I'd watch it though it wasn't a huge favourite of mine. The thing with the cabbages and the shouting kids ("Crackerjack" - "CRACKERJACK!") were a bit too raucous for my liking. But I liked the 'Don and Pete' films with Don Maclean and Peter Glaze. I've got a distinct memory of one where a car drives out of a petrol filling station, but the pump nozzle is still attached in until it catapults out and hits someone on the head! And this might sound very random, but I do remember when Don Maclean was no longer in it and Bernie Clifton was. According to Wikipedia, Don left in 1976 when I was only three. But even at that tender age I thought they had replaced Don with Bernie because they looked very similar!
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

I saw a clip of crackerjack on another cbbc program- 12 again.Aparently, you went away with a pencil.

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've just been watching an entire episode of Crackerjack on Youtube. I don't actually remember Stewpot compering the show, he was that unmemorable! Watching it now, it's so charmingly awful. But I have to admit laughing out loud at the "Call the Police!" joke! :oops:

I'm more of an 80s kid when we had the likes of Stu Francis, the Krankies and the Great Soprendo!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I used to love Crackerjack especially in the mid to late 70s. I remember it being compered by Stu Francis and Kid Jensen. I think it was Francis who had the phrase "Ooh I could crush a grape". :lol: As Stephen said I also used to love the antics of Don MaClean and Peter Glaze, they were very funny.

And yes, lots of people won Crackerjack Pencils. Prizes were a lot simpler in those days. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:I used to love Crackerjack especially in the mid to late 70s.
I don't think it was an absolute favourite of mine but I used to watch it quite regularly. Another similarly loud and lairy programme was Cheggers Plays Pop, hosted by Keith Chegwin.
Stephen wrote:The thing with the cabbages and the shouting kids ("Crackerjack" - "CRACKERJACK!") were a bit too raucous for my liking.
Ah yes - Double or Drop. I used to like that game!

What did you do to get your Blue Peter badge, Icecream?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

I reviewed a program Anita.