Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:If you look at the Journal thread, this doesn't get much more than 20 ish. Poor Tony, must be thinking, should he put a piece in the Journal about tea!!!! :roll:

8)
That's a good idea, Julie, as the Journal tea caddie is virtually empty and I was wondering what to put in it as I should be starting in about a week and I haven't had a single contribution for four months, all I have is what didn't fit into the last Journal, two second-parters and a short article that arrived a bit late. A 32-page article on tea might be what is necessary! :cry:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

At least I know I haven't held up production! Its one of those times when I don't have to think about a new article! ;-). Still, I hope you get some more to go in! :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Today is the 358th anniversary of tea-drinking in the UK. Tea doesn't seem to feature much in Enid's main series. Occasionally 'hot coffee' is mentioned, but it is mainly fizzy drinks - ginger beer being the most popular.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Today is the 358th anniversary of tea-drinking in the UK. Tea doesn't seem to feature much in Enid's main series. Occasionally 'hot coffee' is mentioned, but it is mainly fizzy drinks - ginger beer being the most popular.
I'm sure someone could still manage to write a 32 page article about how often tea doesn't appear in an EB book...? :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

For a hot drink I think cocoa often featured too. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ovaltine, anyone? 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Did Enid's characters ever drink Bovril?? :twisted:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Having drunk Waitrose Marquess Grey and Twinings Lady Grey today, I can now say with certainty that Twinings tastes considerably nicer. But Waitrose is fair trade and Twinings isn't. Hmmm, the perils of trying to be a conscientious tea drinker... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I think I must be the only British person alive who doesn't care for or like tea and can't see what the big deal is with it! :lol: Everyone else in my family love it and can't eat a meal without a cup of tea at the end of it but I just don't understand what the appeal is or what's so special about it! The only time I'll drink it is if I'm in someone's house and they hand me a cup which I'll accept out of politeness, and I honestly can't see what the fuss is about! The same goes for coffee, which I find just as bad but I have never yet met anyone who agrees with me on this :P .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I don't like tea and coffee as well, IceMaiden. :) Truth, too.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

This is putting me off my cup of Lady Grey that I just made... :(

Indian tea workers' conditions remain very poor
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

IceMaiden wrote:I think I must be the only British person alive who doesn't care for or like tea and can't see what the big deal is with it! :lol: Everyone else in my family love it and can't eat a meal without a cup of tea at the end of it but I just don't understand what the appeal is or what's so special about it! The only time I'll drink it is if I'm in someone's house and they hand me a cup which I'll accept out of politeness, and I honestly can't see what the fuss is about! The same goes for coffee, which I find just as bad but I have never yet met anyone who agrees with me on this :P .
Well I do drink them now, but didn't for years, and can sympathise with how you feel. I almost felt as if I was committing some kind of social crime at times.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, as I've said before, the reason I started drinking tea in the first place was that I moved to Britain and found everyone was offering it to me — so I eventually decided I couldn't go on disappointing them! :D

(By the way, if anyone's thinking "What, don't you offer people tea in Australia?" — yes, we do, but the question when someone comes to visit is more likely to be simply "Would you like something to drink?", whereas here it's more often specifically "Would you like a cup of tea?" :wink: It's all right, I soon got used to it and I love it.)
Society Member

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

A brand new arrival in our tea library, Twinings masala chai - I'd had the non-teabag version in India, a blend of spices such as cloves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and more with ginger, simmered in a saucepan, tealeaves and milk added and the whole lot strained and drunk hot. This more 21st century version should be interesting - and soothe my current sniffles :D . I'll just raise a taster cup to those who are deeply enjoying this thread :?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Now that sounds interesting — Twinings does have a "chai" that is pleasant but fairly ordinary, but this is obviously something more elaborate. I'll be interested to hear what you think, Floragord. :wink:

I did try "Jane Austen's Blend" today at the Regency Tea Room in Bath, but didn't like it nearly as much as I like her books!! :lol: (It wasn't Jane's actual recipe, of course, just a blend that was supposed to be similar to the kind of tea that was most commonly drunk in her era. But they do say Jane Austen, while at home with her mother and sister in Chawton, was the official keeper of the key to the family tea caddy — tea being expensive then, it was usually kept under lock and key so that servants couldn't help themselves to it.)
Society Member