How did you choose your pets' names?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

How did you choose your pets' names?

Post by Yak »

I have two much beloved rescue cats who are named Merry and Pippin after the hobbits in Lord of the Rings. I very nearly went for Fred and George (from the Harry Potter series) but decided on M and P in the end. So,if you have pets, how did you pick their names?
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Re: How did you choose your pets' names?

Post by Icecream342 »

I don't have any pets :(, but if I did I would have adog and a rabbit: Dog called Puddle or noodle, Rabbit; Spot or Tedd
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't have any pets at the moment, but over the years I've owned about 20 guinea pigs. I won't bore you with the reasons why I chose their names. However I also used to own a rabbit which I called Sam. I wanted to call him Frodo or Bilbo as at the time I was reading Lord of the Rings, but my mother persuaded me not to, so I settled for Sam instead (as in Sam Gamgee from the book).
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We have a Manchester Terrier and the reason why his name is Morgan, is because his pedigree registered name is Brookstream Captain Morgan. :D

The dog we had before Morgan was from the same pedigree and his name was Brooksteam Brandy Legend, so we called him Henry!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My brother-in-law (then 12) named his guinea pig after me - my middle name, which he knew I hated! :evil:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:My brother-in-law (then 12) named his guinea pig after me - my middle name, which he knew I hated! :evil:

And if you hunt about the forums I'm sure it's there somewhere!!!! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

I used to have a guinea pig called ... Guinea.

I was a most original child.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

My first pet was a hamster called Fudge, as she looked like a dollop of fudge when she would climb backwards down and out a tube in her cage. The second hamster was Sandy as she was sandy coloured, and the third was Spice as she looked like someone had tipped different coloured spices over her white coat. (Hamsters have tragically short life expectancies!).

Then came the guinea-pigs. First it was Joey(my sister's) and Chandler (mine), after Chandler died (I swear Joey bullied him into a stroke! :shock:) I got one called Phoebe (she died while I was away on holiday), and then I gave up and my sister got a second one called Monica (are you seeing a theme here? when first naming the guineas my sister declared Ross and Rachel were stupid names for guinea-pigs :roll: ). Monica was the only guinea-pig to survive Joey's tyrannical reign, and lived on reasonably happily for a while with another 'widowed' guinea-pig we took in).

I haven't had any pets since then.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak

Post by Yak »

I do love guinea pigs. Tragically if I got one now, my cats would try to eat it.
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

Yak wrote:I do love guinea pigs. Tragically if I got one now, my cats would try to eat it.

3..... 2........1.......AWWWWWWW!

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

You're quite a fan of Friends, Fiona!

I only remember naming a kitten I rescued (which decided to abandon me to join the big mother cat next door) Moonraker!

Our numerous rabbits weren't ever named, the African Grey parrot our uncle left in our care for a few months while he moved was called Mithu (and the th here does not sound like the th in thick!), and a German Shepherd we owned when I was a wee toddler was called Tiger. I don't why, though!

And a stray dog my paternal grandfather 'adopted' was named Tommy, after Tom from Tom and Jerry. I have no idea why Spike or Tyke weren't chosen!

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ming wrote:You're quite a fan of Friends, Fiona!
Well my sister was, at the time, an enormous Friends fan. I liked it too, I just wasn't as obsessive about it as she was!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote: I only remember naming a kitten I rescued (which decided to abandon me to join the big mother cat next door) Moonraker!
Oh, sweetheart, you have reduced me to tears....
Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

Moonraker wrote:
Ming wrote: I only remember naming a kitten I rescued (which decided to abandon me to join the big mother cat next door) Moonraker!
Oh, sweetheart, you have reduced me to tears....

AWWWWWWW!!!

Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

Ming wrote:a German Shepherd we owned when I was a wee toddler was called Tiger. I don't why, though!
Our previous dog (GSD/Rottweiller cross) was called Tyge, pronounced 'tiger' but without the 'r' :) He ws a rescue dog and had been called Walt while living at the rescue centre (he had been found tied up on Walton beach:( ) sadly he passed on last year at the ripe old age of 15, which is pretty good for a GSD.

We have very recently got another rescue GSD who is called Hooch, he already had the name and responds well to it so we didn't feel the need to change it.
We also have an iguana called Zuki, who came with her too.