English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: English Grammar

Post by Katharine »

I'm glad I'm not the only person who goes to the pictures to see a film. I cringe if my children call it a movie. I also don't like biscuits to be called cookies either, or sweets candy. I also ask if we've received any post rather than mail.

My teenagers sadly use the word 'like' in almost every sentence, one of their teachers tried desparately hard to stop the use of the word in junior school, but sadly she was fighting a losing battle. I suppose I should be grateful they don't end every sentence with 'you know what I mean', or 'innit' :roll:

Oh yes, and it's railway station for me too Eddie. Preferably to see a steam train. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:Oh yes, and it's railway station for me too Eddie.
Same here. I don't think I've heard anyone say "train station", but then I'm quite often a bit behind the times!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:[
Same here. I don't think I've heard anyone say "train station", but then I'm quite often a bit behind the times!
I've always called it a Train Station I'm afraid. That's how we referred to it in Ireland when I was growing up. I have also noticed the trend for calling films "movies". It probably does come from the use of that term on satellite television and in magazines etc. "Going to the cinema" was the term I always used although my parents always said "going to the pictures".
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd say 'going to the cinema' or 'to see a film', whereas my parents would say 'going to the pictures'.

I'd also say train station.... as it is the station where you catch a train :wink:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'd say 'going to the cinema' or 'to see a film', whereas my parents would say 'going to the pictures'.
My father would often say "going to the flicks"! I wonder if that was a peculiarly Irish thing or was that expression common in the UK too?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

My mum sometimes says "going to the flicks". She grew up in Devon and Humberside/Lincolnshire.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

This conversation has put a song in my head...

"Saturday night at the movies, who cares what picture you see. When you're hugging with your baby in last row in the balcony"
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've heard of the phrase 'the flicks', don't think I've ever used it myself. Does anyone call them 'the talkies'?
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:My father would often say "going to the flicks"! I wonder if that was a peculiarly Irish thing or was that expression common in the UK too?
"Going to the flicks" was an expression widely used in the areas I lived in as a child, John: both Worcestershire and Sussex. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

I moved to the USA in 1994 and returned home 2 1/2 years ago.
With having been away for 15 years, by the time I returned I was totally confused as to what was correct for a lot of words/phrases.
I now think I speak fluent American English, but it's hard writing for both American and British audiences, and I change my spelling and words/grammar according to what I am writing. Makes me rather prone to error at times...
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Fiona1986 wrote:This conversation has put a song in my head...

"Saturday night at the movies, who cares what picture you see. When you're hugging with your baby in last row in the balcony"
Do many cinemas have balconies these days?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Do many cinemas have balconies these days?
If you mean the Circle, then in this age of muti-screen complexes, I imagine not. Out local Odeon Screen One is, in fact, the original Circle - the other screens being built in the former stalls.

Incidentally, a train is the carriages that a loco/engine pulls, hence railway station. However, as these days, loco-hauled trains are like hen's teeth (heritage lines usually), that probably doesn't count! There is also no such thing as a steam train, but there are steam-hauled trains. Calling a railway station a train station makes me bristle! Why do we need to change terms? It was never a train station until someone decided to call it so. What else can we change? We get on a plane at an airport, so why not call it a plane port?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Guilty of using the phrase 'steam train'.

Does anyone say airplane instead of aeroplane?
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Katharine wrote:Guilty of using the phrase 'steam train'.

Does anyone say airplane instead of aeroplane?
I also say Steam Train. As I work in the aviation industry I say "aircraft" which is how anyone in the industry refers to them.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Of course, I also say steam train. You'd sound a bit of a geek saying, "Oh look! There's a steam locomotive-hauled passenger train over there!" However, I never say train station!
Society Member