English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Post by Rob Houghton »

These days we always say 'Howton' and never 'Horton' - mainly because if we do, people in the Midlands and south would spell it Horton. They would never spell 'Horton' Houghton. :-)

Plus there have been some well-known people (footballer's for example) whose name is spelled 'Houghton' but who are called 'Howton' - so its become the accepted way of pronouncing it, at least where I live.

In North Wales, where my dad's family still live, they are still called 'Horton'. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Moonraker wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Smyths (toy retailer), Nisa (grocery chain), Leffe (beer) all confuse me! As do Pilescu and Ariste Leonides. I also know of someone who isn't sure of avatar and Houghton!
We watched Crooked House, last night - a 2017 film adapted from the book. I was pleased to hear Ariste Leonides pronounced several times, so I now know how to say it in my ind when I next read the book:

Aristeed Lay-on-a-dees. :D
I've only come across the name in Leonidas, as in the chocolates, which we pronounce as
Lee-ON-ee-das :? . We enjoyed CROOKED HOUSE too, first of the festive TV fare this year!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Moonraker wrote:
Domino wrote:I'm confused now. Shouldn't that be Aristide Leonidas?
Sorry, you too have confused me! Do you mean Leonides is incorrectly spelled? If so, it is how Agatha Christie spelled it.
No, Nigel. Your post seemed to be suggesting that Ariste should be pronounced 'Ari-steed'. Surely the shortened form would be pronounced 'Arist-eh', possibly with the 'eh' only given the value of a half-syllable, which is something unknown in English, but occurs in various foreign languages.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Rob Houghton wrote:These days we always say 'Howton' and never 'Horton' ...
Thanks Rob - I think I've got it now!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I remember the singer "Sade". When she became popular in the UK, there were written explanations that her name was pronounced "Shar-day". And so all the Brits pronounced her name correctly.

Then she became popular in the USA. And the same written explanation was distributed in the USA, telling Americans to pronounce it "Shar-day". Then all the Americans followed the instructions, and pronounced her name wrong.

Because a word written as "Shar-day" is pronounced differently by Brits as it is by Americans.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, Nigel. Your post seemed to be suggesting that Ariste should be pronounced 'Ari-steed'.
It is spelt Aristide, not Ariste, Dave.

Rob, I have only just started calling you 'Horton' after Julie and Tony told me that was how it should be pronounced. Now you've said it's Howton, after all. :roll:
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Nigel, do you mean to say that even British people don't know how to pronounce British names?
     Now I'm not sure if it should be "Horton" or "Howton"; but at least I don't feel quite so bad about thinking of Rob for several years as "Rob Horton" (phonetically), even if I have been incorrect.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Rob, I have only just started calling you 'Horton' after Julie and Tony told me that was how it should be pronounced. Now you've said it's Howton, after all. :roll:
Depends where you come from. As Julie originally comes from 'up north' - she is actually quite correct! But if we say 'Horton' down here, people spell it wrong. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

KEVP wrote:I remember the singer "Sade". When she became popular in the UK, there were written explanations that her name was pronounced "Shar-day". And so all the Brits pronounced her name correctly.

Then she became popular in the USA. And the same written explanation was distributed in the USA, telling Americans to pronounce it "Shar-day". Then all the Americans followed the instructions, and pronounced her name wrong.

Because a word written as "Shar-day" is pronounced differently by Brits as it is by Americans.
Presumably because of rhotic versus non-rhotic accents again? :P (They should have written "Shah-day" for the Americans, I assume. Actually, some British accents are rhotic too, but not in the south.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Rob, I have only just started calling you 'Horton' after Julie and Tony told me that was how it should be pronounced. Now you've said it's Howton, after all. :roll:
Depends where you come from. As Julie originally comes from 'up north' - she is actually quite correct! But if we say 'Horton' down here, people spell it wrong. :-D
I've always assumed it was Horton!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A good friend of mine is called Steve Houghton and he, and everyone else, pronounces it Howton. For that reason, I have always thought of Rob as Rob Howton. Pity they don't spell it properly. :D
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I've always assumed it was Howton or Hooton! :lol:
Moonraker wrote:
Darrell71 wrote: I pronounce cough as huff, so I was quite confused there for a second.
I think you've confused us all now!
SorryNotSorry :twisted:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Domino

Post by Domino »

Moonraker wrote:
No, Nigel. Your post seemed to be suggesting that Ariste should be pronounced 'Ari-steed'.
It is spelt Aristide, not Ariste, Dave.
So why did you put Ariste in you post? That's what's confusing me, Nigel.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Image... Image
Pierrot..........................................................Poirot

I'm sure it was just a minor oversight Dave.

Talking of Agatha Christie characters, I remember my dear old Nan giving me my first Agatha Christie book in the early 1970's. I was still a bit too young to read them, but she surmised correctly that my supply of Enid Blyton books wouldn't last forever.

She was a well read, educated lady. She handed me a large print version of Curtain, the last Poirot book to start me off.
A very strange choice I've always thought. She told me the detective's name was Poirot , but she prounounced it Pierrot, even though she knew this was incorrect...

Every time I hear the word Pierrot it still makes me smile and remember her fondly...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:She told me the detective's name was Poirot , but she prounounced it Pierrot, even though she knew this was incorrect...

Every time I hear the word Pierrot it still makes me smile and remember her fondly...
My mum, when she first started reading Agatha Christie, pronounced his name as Hercules Pirate, though I think she also knew that wasn't correct! :lol: (Mind you, in the case of her infamous rendition of Noddy's car horn sound as "prap prap", she still refuses to accept the correct version, so I think she genuinely did misread it and believed she had it right...)
Society Member