General Natter Room

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Lucky Star »

Nothing worse than being without water. Especially in hot weather. I hope it gets cleared up soon for you Katharine. We had a power cut the other day but thankfully it only lasted a couple of hours.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks - it was a little worrying, but thankfully it was back on again by late evening, although the taps were still spluttering a bit first thing this morning, and a warning was issued that the water might appear a bit cloudy or discoloured for a while.

I think Boatbuilder may be right about the problem being due to everyone watering their gardens, as it seems strange it was the same sort of time both evenings. I wonder if there was a surge as everyone got the hoses out?

I'm going to fill a couple of bowls with water soon, and make sure I feed my piggies a little earlier this evening just in case.

Thankfully I don't think we've had a power cut recently, although at this time of year it wouldn't be quite so bad except I'd be worried the freezer would start to defrost.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I've just received this email from our local theatre. They have obviously made one of two possible mistakes - sent it out over two weeks late or have given the date of the performance incorrectly. :roll:

edit 7:40pm: Just had a look on their website and the concert started 10 minutes ago. Even so, 30 minutes notice isn't much. :D

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've put the posts about Pete into an 'Any News of Pete?' thread, in order to free up this thread for general natter.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I've been checking the EBS forums and posting comments every now and then for the past few months so I'd thought I'd give a brief update on how's life going for me! I recently graduated (in June this year!) from my BSc Physics here in Lund University (Sweden) after three stressful but truly fruitful and wonderful three years! :D Since the start of this year everything has been quite hectic, with moments of uncertainty and also some personal troubles but finally most things have been resolved in the best possible way! I completed my thesis on a topic which I fell in love with, having the best supervisors to guide me along the way and I ended up obtaining a distinction (highest possible grade) in the BSc Thesis! This has motivated me to further develop the topic of my thesis and I will start a MSc Biophysics (also in Sweden) next year, in August 2024. I couldn't be more excited about this choice and having the opportunity to remain in Sweden for postgraduate studies :D But as of now, I will be taking a "gap year" from studying physics and I'll be pursuing a MA in Gaelic Literature (offered online by an Irish university) while also working towards finalizing courses that'll give me a BA in English Literature (technically this may sound weird to do both a BA and MA but for the master's I was fortunate that having a previous degree in literary studies was not a requirement so I was able to apply with the science bachelor's degree). I'm sure most of you who know me here are already aware of how passionate I am about literature and reading, and alongside physics, it's a field of study I likewise want to pursue. I must say I'm truly grateful and indebted to my parents, and especially my mother who has been with me through all the ups and downs all along, for supporting me in this :D And I'm so looking forward for what lies ahead! In the meantime I just came back from a wonderful trip to Spain where I visited my family. However, it was somewhat heartbreaking to witness the toll that old age has taken on my loved ones. :cry:

I will also post some graduation photos if I wrap my head around how to upload the photos here again :lol:

PS: Please excuse the long post and the 'not so brief' updates hehe :lol:
Last edited by Machupicchu14 on 01 Sep 2023, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Congratulations on all you have achieved so far Maria Esther. It's also good to know that it is something you are really enjoying. I'd also like to wish you all the best for your continued studies in 2024.

As far as old age is concerned, I'm afraid it's one of those things we have to learn to live with. The aches and pains have started to take their toll on myself in recent years - even since I started posting on here back in 2018. However, I am still trying to think positive, even at 76.

Take care of yourself and continue to enjoy life whilst you're young and able. :D

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Congratulations on your graduation, María Esther! It would be great to see some photos. You must be over the moon to have the opportunity to pursue your love of literature as well as your love of physics. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks for the good news María Esther and congratulations on all you have achieved so far. Enjoy your "gap year" and working towards the MA in Gaelic Literature as well as finalizing courses to obtain a BA in English Literature. Good luck with your postgraduate studies in Sweden next year.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

CONGRATULATIONS - and good luck!

EB always celebrated characters and readers with good brains,

The rest of us need you!
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Belated congratulations. :)

I hope you still have time to fit in some Enid Blyton reading. ;)
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

The provider I used for uploading pictures has gone down, so all of the images I posted in this (and another) forum have gone :(.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Unfortunately that's the problem with having to post images on here by relying on another website to link them to, Hannah. It must be really annoying for you. I use my own server for the images I post on here, although if I ever stopped using it in the future, the same would apply to the images I have posted. I know it's good for the next three years as I recently renewed and paid for my contract until September 2026.

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I'm wondering if I should buy some space online to use as a server for this purpose. Unfortunately I'm totally helpless in knowing what I'm even looking for. I've got some online space where I can upload photos and share them but it's not possible to show them in a forum as picture.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I've just PM'd you Hannah.

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »