Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Computer Upgrades, Issues and Conventions

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I use Hotmail (well, Outlook but I keep on calling it Hotmail) which is through MSN. Yet genuine MSN emails often get flagged as spam...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes, I use outlook, and its pretty dire compared to how it used to be. A couple of years or so ago, with Windows 7, you could mark emails as 'not spam' and Outlook would remember, and not send those emails to spam any more - but now it doesn't matter how often you mark something as 'not spam' - the next time it still sends it straight to spam. It doesn't seem to learn by our preferences.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:I'm still wondering why it is that 90% of my email notifications from EBS go straight to my junk folder. I'm puzzled as to why notifications for EBS go straight to junk, while notifications for other websites never do! :?
Incredible isn’t it? All my emails from Brighton and Hove Council go straight into my spam folder, whereas real spam emails arrive in my inbox. Gremlins at work! :evil:
Have you put the Society email address in your address book? That should prevent it being 'junked'.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - it recognises about 20% of EB notifications, but it throws the others into the junk. Sometimes notifications for a certain thread are in my junk and the next day the same thread notifications can turn up in my in box. Its strange!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Microsoft obviously has an opinion of Enid Blyton's books, then.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Weirdly I also have an email account that is still called 'Hotmail' (no idea why) - which I don't use very often as its an old email address - but that rarely puts anything into the junk folder! :-D When my 'Outlook' email address was also 'Hotmail' it sorted out the junk emails properly.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have a hotmail address as well and don't get junk on it. I do on my more used one though!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

After getting up this morning before breakfast I saw that the harddrive of my media-PC no longer worked and thought, "Fine, the job's done", and wanted to transfer the files it had transcoded over night to my other PC. I tried to access it, but it didn't work. I attached the monitor, and the system wouldn't start telling me no start system found. The BIOS told me it found both harddrives though. I tried the Recovery CD, but I didn't offer to solve the issues at all. After some fiddling and re-attaching it seems that it was the SATA-cable that no longer had ideal contact with the harddrive. While I'm glad that it was only that (I was afraid the harddrive could be defective), it's surely nothing I need on a sunny Sunday morning. I was also lucky in so far as it had transcoded all 44 files over night.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Glad to hear that it was 'only' the SATA cable, Wolfgang- must have been quite a relief. And all 44 files transcoded- good.
Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I reinstalled Dragon Naturally Speaking again, and wanted to use it with the actual Microsoft Office. But once Dragon is running, Office won't start, and if Office is started, it closes when I'm starting Dragon. Luckily I've got another wordprocessing software installed that work with it.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear, Wolfgang... your mention of Dragon Naturally Speaking just reminded me that that was the software a friend of mine was using a few years ago to dictate a report on a very successful promotional venture by her church's bookshop. Part way through, her fiancé came into the room and she turned around to talk to him, not realising that the computer was still typing away in the background what it thought it was hearing. When she turned back to the screen, Dragon had produced a whole lot of garbled-up nonsense (she hadn't been close enough to the microphone for it to pick up her actual words correctly) — except that somewhere in the middle of it were the words "male stripper". Which we were assured was NOT something they had at the church bookshop!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Courtenay, I suppose incidents like that will happen more frequently now that there are systems like Siri, Cortana, Alexa... And if Cortana had serious listening problems I could imagine calling your name would start/activate it ;-)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I hope not. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

It seems there must be some major defect in my Media-PC - I wanted to transcode some more files yesterday evening, but while copying it started to freeze after a short time. I hope it's just heat. Luckily enough I still have the working station I used to transcode things before I set up the other PC and it's doing the transcoding now.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Here's a link to a computer scammer who meets his match in a computer expert. :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRbUhhQmZs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member