sending the book off!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anna Moss

sending the book off!

Post by Anna Moss »

Hiya!
Today, I have officially finished by book I was writing on. I'm sending it off to a publisher, and nadia is sending her one off too with mine (but we've eexplained to the publisher who wrote which). We are writing one book written by the both of us, and each our individual book. I know that many great authors at first were rejected, And I really, really hope I stand a chance of getting published. I know I'm just eleven,but what's the harm in trying?
If you would like to read a bit of my story just ask.

Best wishes,
Anna
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: sending the book off!

Post by Ming »

Good luck Anna and Nadia. :)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Here's hoping for you both! I'm sure we'd like to read at least a summary of your story, Anna.
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Well done Anna for at least completing the book. I was writing one too in September, but I had to stop that, because school and study gets in the way. :(
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Ming

Post by Ming »

Yes, I'd like to read a summary or something here, Anna. :)

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

A summary would be great, Anna. What kind of a book is it? :)
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Good luck with it Anna. What an achievement to actually write one and send it off to a publisher at such a young age. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Good luck, Anna, and congrats to you and Nadia for getting your books finished. There's an author here in Australia who had her first book published at 14 and has had another published since and is doing very well, so fingers crossed your books get snapped up too!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good luck, Anna!

I recall reading The Treasure of Dubarry Castle when I was a child, which was written when the author (Lindsay Brown) was about ten. She even got to read the book out on Jackanory when she was about fourteen. Val Biro did the illustrations.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Good luck with your book :)
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Best of luck with the book Anna. Even if this one doesn't get published I'm sure that your determination will pay off in the end. And Yes I'd love to read some of the book. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The best of luck with your books, Anna and Nadia. I hope you both manage to get into print, but don't be too despondent if you're not lucky this time. You have many years ahead of you and some of the greatest writers experienced rejection before achieving success. Do keep us posted of any developments. :D :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Thanks all for the lovely comments and 'good luck!' s!
It is about A modern Performing arts school( but me and nadia are also working on one based around Malory Towers, not completely finished yet ) which feautures A girl named Kelsey with an extraordinairy for dancing and singing, and basically her school life at Bailefall Performing arts. Here's a little extract, and the book is aimed approxiametly at 9-13 year olds. I really haven't had many opionions on it yet, so please, I welcome all advice and I hope it isn't too bad. I've created a small extract as the story is very long, but as I said, enjoy!!

“That’s about it all. Come, Kelsey, now - get in,” Mrs Lane said, pointing at the car.
Kelsey, was a very gifted fifteen year old. And that was the reason why she was on the way to the top performing art school in the country. She would miss her family awfully, but this was all she ever wanted, to sing, to dance and act. She’d known that since she was at a very young age. Now she was fifteen, she knew this was the right time to make her dreams come true. She had fought so hard to get into Bailefall Performing arts, she had sacrificed her holidays to get up at sometimes even five-thirty, cram her cornflakes down in a rush, turn the radio on, and it would just flow out. Kelsey found that every single emotion would pour out of her, she felt the waves of the music, through her, and before you knew it, she was dancing perfectly. Behind every footprint and move, there was a shadow that only she could understand. At school she had been given the label “Queen of Dance” And before you knew it, it would be time for acting class in town, then at home she would be taught singing by a vocal instructor, and this went on and on until the day she had headed all the way to Scotland where the auditions to get into Bailefall where to be held. She had came in, trembling, nerves running through her, and when it was her name called for her audition, all the nervousness travelled faraway from her, and that great day, she had thought to herself; “This is it. This is the way to achieve my dream. This is the top performing arts school in the country, I need this So bad. This means so much to me.”
She had sailed her way through her audition, and here she was, on her way to Bailefall performing arts. She prayed she would make lots of friends. But most of all, she thought steadily, this is where I could become a star. At least fifty-two students every year make it to be professional actresses, dancers, and of course, not forgetting Kelsey’s forever idol, Leanne Walter, the famous singer, who attended Bailefall when she was Kelsey’s age. Taking a deep breath, she hopped into the car. She had dressed up for the occasion - curled her hair, was wearing a slogan hoodie (which said “Everyday: Get up, sing, dance, act, go back to sleep” ), a pair of skinny jeans, and a trilby hat with pink converses.
She hoped she looked nice. It was going to be a long journey, but a good one.
“Don’t look so worried. Your gonna have a great time,” Kelsey’s dad said.
And with that, the car started its engine, beginning to drive. Peering at her suitcase propped up beside her, she smiled to herself. She felt a unique, special rush of joy and happiness that made her get butterflies in her stomach. This was gonna be so, incredibly awesome. Finally, somewhere she could do the hobby she loved every minute of the day. She watched the farms, fields, villages, shops go by and didn’t even feel carsick. She was too excited. It seemed like five minutes to Kelsey, but it took hours really, but finally, they arrived. The first thing Kelsey saw was a lake, and then, stood in front of Kelsey stood a gorgeous sight. A huge, modern (but somehow historical) building. It was six storeys high, with a tower at the top. The entrance was a bridge over the lake, leading to the biggest, most elegant double doors you could have ever seen. Engraved in capitals was BAILEFALL PERFORMING ARTS with gold lettering.
Kelsey, her mum, and her dad all stared through the car window in awe.
The lake looked especially beautiful, with ducks and at the very end of the lake, Kelsey saw a huge garden, that must have had acres and acres of land. It was decorated with pretty roses and bluebells, and in the middle, a huge oak tree and next to it was a wooden post: ‘BAILEFALL SCHOOL GARDEN’
Kelsey, Mrs Lane, and Mr Lane were all still in the car. Kelsey was beyond herself, gazing dreamily.
“This is gonna be the BEST.” She murmured to herself.
Mrs Lane quickly got control of herself again, as she too, had gone off in a bit of a daydream.
“ Sweetie, have a great time, I know this is want you want, your dream, and I hope you get a good career out of this school. It certainly looks fantastic. You enjoy yourself, and cherish every moment of your time here. Call me on your mobile, and do write Kelsey. Love you. Goodbye, Honey.” Mrs Lane said sobbing silently as she watched Kelsey get out of the car.
“Goodness me. Where has time gone? My daughter is leaving home to achieve her career. Wasn’t it yesterday she was going to school for the first time?” Mrs Lane thought, blowing in her handkerchief.
Kelsey gave her mum a loving bear hug, and a caring kiss on the cheek.
“Oh Kelsey, We’ll miss you! I know it, you’re a very talented girl, and this Is the perfect place to use your talents. Call us anytime. Love you lots, Bye!” Mr Lane Grinned.
As Kelsey gave him a bear hug and kiss too, she shakily walked up to the entrance, and wondered where everyone was. Just then she spotted a blonde-haired girl, with a pretty ponytail, UGG boots, a green, sporty tank top and jeans. She had a simple pink hairclip on her fringe.
“Hi! I’m Summer. I’m head girl. Your new I s’pose?” The girl said kindly.
Kelsey nodded.
“Trust me. Your gonna be in for a surprise. A good one. Bailefall will push you as far as you can go, and sometimes you’ll feel like giving up, but if you work hard watch where it’ll get you. The thing I love at Bailefall is there is so much to do. You can do your hobby of singing, acting, dancing in a really nice environment. You’ll meet loads of friends, and ooohh the Bailefall boys do have a reputation of being really cute…Ah, it is a pleasure to see you come to Bailefall. It reminds me when I joined two years ago. Those shiny eyes as you see the building, settling in, time goes by quickly..” Summer Explained.
“Well, come on, I’ll show you in. We’ll go to the entrance and get you checked in. There are so many places to show you,” Summer Said, linking arms with Kelsey.
Summer and Kelsey walked up to the entrance. The elegant double doors Kelsey had seen through the car window seemed even better up close. They automatically opened. Kelsey’s mouth dropped open, her head spinning. There was a diamond chandelier above her, a Venetian mirror in one corner, a beautiful, fluffy doormat rug, and modern posh wallpaper, along with a big mahogany office desk built into the wall, and behind a secretary woman.
“ And this is just the office yet it has a chandelier,” Kelsey muttered to herself delightedly.
She also spotted an elevator which did not surprise her as Bailefall was seven storeys.
Summer lead her to the secretary who had brown hair and matching brown mascara to match.
“Can I help?” She said politely.
“This is…….” Summer began, then looked inquisitively at Kelsey.
“Kelsey. -- Kelsey Lane. I’m new.” Kelsey replied.
“Ah welcome. I’ll sign you in! Here’s your timetable. Summer, show Kelsey around, honey, okay?” The secretary said, passing on the timetable.
As Kelsey turned, she saw a black and white cat pass by. In amazement, she turned to Summer.
“W-wwhaaat? Was that a cat just passing the secretary?” Kelsey asked.
“Oh, that’s the school cat, Saluki.” Summer grinned.
“I’ll show you the whole school, C’mon, -Summer’s speciality tour,” She continued.
They stepped into the elevator Kelsey had spotted, whilst Summer touched ‘2’ symbolizing Level two. As they got out, Kelsey gasped once again.
“This is Level two, only for dancing.” Summer walked on, pointing and showing rooms from left to right.
As Kelsey spotted a huge door, on it was a sign ‘MAIN DANCE GYM’. As she opened the door, she saw a simply gigantic room, with a heated floor, vending machine, and a huge radio. No-one was in it, - probably in their other lessons Kelsey suspected, and there were dance mats, and dumbbells and basically everything to do with dance you could imagine. As she stepped into another hiphop dance studio she felt a firm bash against her head - she realized in her excitement to see and explore every room, she had bumped into a brown-haired boy, with extraordinary green eyes. Their eyes met for a minute then Kelsey managed to stutter;
“Um, E--r, I’m sorry. I-d-didn’t mean to bump into your head,”
“Oh, Geez,” Kelsey thought to herself, “Can’t I act more cool? Did I have to say I didn’t meant to bump your head??”
The boy smiled casually.
“Its okay. I’m Raymond. New, huh?” He said.
“Yeah. I’m…Kelsey.”
“I can’t even remember my own name barely! Get a grip, stop blushing!” Kelsey told herself.
“Well, er, welcome. I’ll er…maybe see you around sometime?” He said, with a cute, half-grin.
“y-y-yes.” Kelsey replied.
Summer peeked through the door, grinning.
“Come. Lets go, there’s other dance rooms to show you,”
And with that, Kelsey and Summer explored every dance room on the floor, including one Jazz room, which was filled with students, dancing the most fantastic moves, and a very kind-looking rosy-cheeked woman instructing them, with an Italian accent. It fascinated Kelsey to watch the way these students twisted and twirled their arms, swiftly and bouncily jumping in the air, and falling back into their partner’s arms. Then another interesting room was a little, empty but grand room, with a grand piano and stall. It had a nice oil painting of a young girl, Kelsey’s age, which Summer Explained was Ellen Mancel, a famous pianist that had attended Bailefall. Next, was time to go to Floor 3, the singing rooms. As Kelsey daintily stepped foot by foot out of the lift (as she was feeling rather posh in such a huge, lovely school) her ears were
Filled with a lovely sound.
“You’ll have to be quiet as lessons are going on at the moment, “ Summer whispered.
“I can see that. My, they must teach well,” Replied Kelsey.
Peeking through a singing room, a class was seated.
A young, pretty, tanned skinned teacher stood at the front of the class.
Kelsey stood, aghast.
“Omigod!!!!!!! That’s Leanne Walter! The Leanne Walter! She’s my idol! No-one ever told me she taught at Bailefall! I knew she attended Bailefall, but not that she worked here! I am a massive fan!! Oooohh! I can’t get over it!” Exclaimed Kelsey, literally bobbing up and down so hair became a little messy.
“Shhh! What did I tell you about whispering? Yes, I know! I was amazed too when I joined! We like to keep it on the low she works here, for the press and things. Anyways, according to your timetable you have a lesson with her tomorrow.” Summer said.
“Now, girls, someone tell me, where should you sing from to create a nice, clear, tune in your singing?” Asked Leanne.
“Oh, oh I know! Your diaphragm! Your diaphragm!” Screeched Kelsey.
Kelsey wasn’t even aware she was standing outside the door, and Summer had specifically said not to talk loudly or disturb the lessons, she needed to impress her Idol.
Leanne, or, Mrs Walter the girls probably called her as she was now a teacher, heard the noise outside and Kelsey’s answer, opening the door of the classroom.
“ E-r..Well, I must say, that is correct. Why are you out of lessons?” Leanne asked.
Kelsey was shaking. She was actually talking to Leanne Walters.
“I better choose my words wisely.” She told herself.
“Please, Leanne - oops I mean Mrs Walter. Miss, I’m new. Summer’s just showing me around.” Kelsey replied.
Just as Leanne was about to answer Kelsey blurted;
“Leanne.! You see I had to get your attention. I’m a major fan. In face reason I came her is because you’re my idol and I knew you came hear when you were younger. I love your singing. I never new you worked here.”
Leanne’s face broke from a frown into a kind smile.
“Ah. Its so nice to hear that. Well, I’ll let you off as you’re a fan, I can’t disapprove that, but next time, no need to shout out from my door, Okay? I’m sure I’ll see you in lessons as you should probably have me as your singing teacher three times a week. Its nice to meet you. I’ll sign an autograph if you like later. But right now, you get back to your little ‘tour’ with Summer.”
Kelsey grinned as her Idol, Leanne Walter, closed the door. What a lovely person, Thought Kelsey. And she had offered to sign an autograph.
Summer and Kelsey moved on to another lot of rooms and then a screeching sound of a bell nearly deafened Kelsey.
“Oh. Time’s passed so quickly. That was the supper bell. Well, you’ll find your way around. I’ll take you to supper and you’ll have a good old meal, and then I bet someone in your class will take you up to your dormy. Come along, Dining hall’s this way.” Said Summer, leading Kelsey.

Best wishes, Anna.
P.s I will ask nadia if she'd like to post her story - called 'Jade' but I hope you enjoyed the first few pages of Bailefall!
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

Jade and I are just ordinary girls.
We go to a boring high-school; read boring books; with a boring old miserable hag as our teacher. Well.
I read books; While Jade reads; Teen Magazine Gossip!
And I prefer to keep to myself; hunched up in my pink palace bedroom; with some biscuits and a hot-chocolate; reading all about Enid Blyton; and Jacqueline Wilson.
I held my breath page after page; wondering if a event would happen.
I love Malory Towers; and St. Clares. For Jacky; I have to say Kiss; Or My sister Jodie is my favourite.
I am hunched up; quite happily in my room.
I brought a new shiny black note-pad; wonderful; with gold writing with my name on, little gems and vines with small Lion’s, until Jade came along and inked silver stars on most of the black note-pad. Jade is my older sister.
I’m only 14. She’s 16. Jade has the most beautiful sleek jet black hair; with a green star slides, which make her hair look even prettier.
She has a green streak; a real permanent high-light running down her gentle hair.
Mum almost had a heart-attack when Jade came back innocently chewing gum and fiddling with her green streak hair. She even gave mum a pout and gave her big eyed look, and fiddled innocently.

Jade isn’t naughty, she just wants to stand out. Her school uniform is really ugly. But Jade made it look amazing. It was a green and black tartan mini-skirt. It wasn’t a miniskirt before Jade pinned it up with a giant pink pin and made it look much better.
She got into lots and lots of trouble with the headmaster and mum, but that did not stop Jade at all.
Well, it did. Sort of. Jade didn’t care when she got told off. She just shrugged and walked off.
And the teachers still don’t do anything about it!
They just tut at her, or sigh, or shake their heads!
I guess with Jade, the teachers probably privately think that she looks drop dead gorgeous that they let her get away with it!
With inked stars and gems on the side of the mini-skirt. Jade wears black tights; and black pumps; which make her look dead sexy.
She had a beige blouse; with a silver diamond; with a green emerald gem in the middle of it.
The only good thing on Jade’s uniform is probably her green bow around her neck; which compliments her soft pale neck and her thin lips.
Our school is called Marvels Secondary.
It’s quite a big school; but shamefully it’s a mixed school.
Well; There are only around 5 boys in our year. Ughhh. I terribly long for a adventure; sailing the seas on made raft’s, travelling the world; I’ll do anything.
But only for a adventure.
A adventure around the world.
I told my friends about my adventure; but they all laughed. Rosetta was probably the kindest and laughed.
“Oh; Amber! You do make me laugh. Sail the seas? Travel the world? Have your own island? You would never be able to do that!” Rosette kindly said, twirling my brown curl.
Rosette sighed.
“It costs a bucket – a boat load of money!” Rosetta laughed. She then suddenly sighed.
“If only I had highlights like you did.” Rosette sighed; tugging gently at her own blonde hair.
I put on a fake giggle to show that I didn’t give a toss about my curls.

I couldn’t help glowing happily behind my pink cheeks.
“And If only I was as skinny as you! How much are you? 5 stone? Your 12 for god sake. The average stone for a 10 year old is like 8 stone.” Rosetta sighed.
“That is not true! You are skinny!” I said, forgetting about the debate.
“I am not!”
“You are too!”
“Hey; Hey guys. Cool it.” Jasmine said; walking up to us.
“You sound like a pantomime act; that’s if I let you continue like that!” Jasmine said.
“I envy you.” I said; looking at Jasmine’s sleek dark brownish Blackish hair. I sighed; looking and tugging at my brown highlighted and tinted curls.

“Now your doing a Rosetta all over again!” Rosetta giggled.
“A what?”
“Nevermind. Let’s just go to the cafeteria and get something.” Jasmine said.
“Break is almost over!” Jasmine protested; dragging us both to the Cafeteria.
“It’s a wonder you aren’t 50 stone, you pig!” Rosetta said.
“Oh; stopping being like my mum.” Jasmine said, stomping into the Cafeteria hall.
Jasmine DID eat a lot. But we didn’t care. As long as we are friends forever. I treasured this small; squashed hug (Jade was stuffed up with crumpets and milk and buns).
The bell suddenly screeched.
“Science”
“Maths”
“Humanities.” Each one of them yelled; running in different directions. I ran and ran; late for class.
I saw Jade hanging by the small woods; where it was crowded by tons of people.
She was swinging on a branch; silky hair flipping forwards and backwards; her butterfly slide falling out of her hair.
She didn’t seem to notice.
“Jade!” I yelled. Jade looked alarmed; hair jolting up with her head, as Jade almost fell.
I dived in and let her fall on me.
Ming

Post by Ming »

It's nice, Anna, I'd like to see more of it. :)

Edit: And Nadia - it's quite good too. Good luck to you both.

Society Member