The Old Curiosity Shop

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

The Old Curiosity Shop

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I found this newspaper article interesting, about a corner shop which remained boarded up for almost 40 years, contents and all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cades.html" target="_blank

Entering it must be like stepping back in time. Wouldn't it be amazing to stumble across a boarded up 1950s bookshop?!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Re: The Old Curiosity Shop

Post by Somita »

And buy a whole case of original editions of EB books!
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Entering it must be like stepping back in time. Wouldn't it be amazing to stumble across a boarded up 1950s bookshop?!

Anita
That sounds like heaven. I remember seeing a Picture Post feature on a 1950s department store - images of pristine hardback Blytons and EJOs - I was green with jealousy :mrgreen:
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

How lovely!

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Wow! What a find for the owner. If it were a 50's book shop, full of Blyton's, gosh, it would be absolutely fantastic.

What a find :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
bilgewaters
Favourite book/series: Secret Room/Hidden House.
Favourite character: got to be Bets

Post by bilgewaters »

When I was about 13 my friend and family came home from Australia to live,and they bought a house not far from us.In the garden was an air raid sheter and the things we found in that! An old ladylived there and just put everything in the shelter,old tin toy cars,really old local postcards ,old plaster dolls and LOADS of books,but sadly no Blytons.But what if.......
When I'm grown up I won't forget the things I think today.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That must have been fascinating, Bilgewaters.

Back in the 1980s, our friends were decorating their living room and, when they stripped off the old wallpaper, they found notes and pictures which had been left beneath the wallpaper by previous occupants of the house. They in their turn wrote notes and drew pictures for future occupants to find.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Some of the houses in town still have the Anderson's down the garden in use as sheds. I'm not entirely sure they're original as I can't think why Okehampton would be bombed, even though it's near Plymouth.

There's one house right next to the river and next to her house is a gun look out concrete thingy whatsit. Again in use as a shed!

My house is similarly wierd. It was a shop in the 50s and under the stairs is the door to the lounge the shop keeper would have used. Plus when renovating we found a door under the old plaster which would lead into my neighbours' front room!

I don't think they'd be too impressed at me bursting through the plasterwork and wallpaper so I won't try and push it open!

Manzy
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

manzanita wrote:I don't think they'd be too impressed at me bursting through the plasterwork and wallpaper so I won't try and push it open!
If I were you I'd tell them about it, and try pushing it open with them! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to just leave it like that.

Society Member
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Post by Snubby »

Ming wrote:I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to just leave it like that.
"Listen, George! This part of the plaster sounds hollow!" said Ming, knocking the wall. And this was how George and Ming found a hidden secret door opening into a secret room where the neighbour's secret sofa set was kept. :lol:
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:
manzanita wrote:I don't think they'd be too impressed at me bursting through the plasterwork and wallpaper so I won't try and push it open!
If I were you I'd tell them about it, and try pushing it open with them! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to just leave it like that.
Reminds me of a time when I opened a door in our room when staying at the Crumplehorn Inn, Polperro, a few years ago. It led into the next room. They must have been very tired, as it was 3pm, and they were both in bed. Fortunately, although they didn't appear to be asleep, they didn't notice me. I quietly closed the door. :shock:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote: Reminds me of a time when I opened a door in our room when staying at the Crumplehorn Inn, Polperro, a few years ago. It led into the next room. They must have been very tired, as it was 3pm, and they were both in bed. Fortunately, although they didn't appear to be asleep, they didn't notice me. I quietly closed the door. :shock:
Maybe they thought you were the ghost of the famous smuggler, who called himself ' King of Prussia' , and so totally ignored you. :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Reminds me of a time when I opened a door in our room when staying at the Crumplehorn Inn, Polperro, a few years ago. It led into the next room. They must have been very tired, as it was 3pm, and they were both in bed. Fortunately, although they didn't appear to be asleep, they didn't notice me. I quietly closed the door. :shock:
Maybe they thought you were the ghost of the famous smuggler, who called himself ' King of Prussia' , and so totally ignored you. :lol: :lol:
Well they certainly didn't mistake me for the Cerne Giant. :roll:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I went for a weekend break a few years ago to Prague and became convinced I could hear voices coming from my hotel room wardrobe! On opening the wardrobe and pushing aside a curtain at the back I found that the wardrobe went right through the wall and became the wardrobe of the neighbouing room! :shock: Like Moonraker I quietly withdrew and closed the curtain.

The old shop looks absolutely fascinating. I would love the opportunity to go and poke around such a genuine slice of the past.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Lucky Star wrote: On opening the wardrobe and pushing aside a curtain at the back I found that the wardrobe went right through the wall and became the wardrobe of the neighbouing room!
One must wonder if C.S Lewis made similar discoveries prior to penning The Chronicles of Narnia! :wink:

It is incredible that a building can remain untouched for so long. Let's hope that the artifacts go to a good home. While rewiring my house a few years ago, I searched in vain for remnants of the past as I ripped up various floorboards, but all I found was rubble and timber offcuts from the 1960's. In order to make amends, I duly deposited various newspapers from the 21st century as I progressed through the house. Future generations will now have a jolly good read in years to come! :D
EDIT 12/10/08 TYPO