A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ming wrote:I've been knocked out in Round 2. Could not make it to the final round, but what's the worst that could happen? It was still a great experience, though. :D
Bad luck, old thing, but at least you had the chance to do two rounds. Did you get to watch the other competitors? It sounds like a fun but challenging competition, with plenty of scope for entrants to use their imagination.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Yes, I watched the other presentations too - one girl talked about mortality, using her drawings of people, someone gave a history lesson on USA's presidents ( :roll: ), a senior student from our team talked to her diary about the war not bothering her, the endless killing not bothering her, but the random kills every week that bothered her; someone talked about power (and smashed a glass on the floor), another person from our team talked to his mirror about his conscience. It was an interesting day, a lot of fun, and this is probably the first interschool writing and oratory competition in the country. Most invited schools however did not show up, because of exams.

I got someone to video my presentation, when I get my hands on it I'll try to upload it! :)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ming wrote: It was an interesting day, a lot of fun, and this is probably the first interschool writing and oratory competition in the country. Most invited schools however did not show up, because of exams.
Oh, that's a pity. If they run more such competitions in the future, let's hope they think more carefully about the dates!
Ming wrote:I got someone to video my presentation, when I get my hands on it I'll try to upload it! :)
That would be interesting - thanks!

Anita

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:Also, I thought of The Rilloby Fair Mystery the most humorous work of Blyton.
A great book to read when you're ill - it sparkles with humour and Snubby is on top form!

Anita
Yes, I agree it's a great book to read when you're ill, though I have read so far only the early chapters! Love the beginning -- honestly, Snubby! :lol: I found Mr Lynton heavily bad-tempered though, a little "irritating" himself? :roll:

Yesterday I bought a new Dean edition of The Mystery of the Strange Bundle because I had forgotten most of it, and wanted to read. Its beginning was most suitable to me -- they were ill themselves! Not an actual mystery though, and more coincidence than pure investigation. Blyton could have rectified this I think, although the book then would be longer than the rest. All in all, a good one! :D

After I finish Rilloby Fair, I think I'm going to read The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat next, and then Invisible Thief and Strange Messages. Gosh; so many books, and all very good! :D

Meanwhile, Ming, what you have been talking sounds very interesting! And good fun!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Philip Mannering wrote:Yesterday I bought a new Dean edition of The Mystery of the Strange Bundle because I had forgotten most of it, and wanted to read. Its beginning was most suitable to me -- they were ill themselves! Not an actual mystery though, and more coincidence than pure investigation.
It's true that it's not the usual kind of mystery, but it's mysterious none the less. That's actually my favourite title of the series because of the humour and the dark yet cosy wintry atmosphere. After reading Strange Bundle at the age of about nine, I looked in the library for books on ventriloquism and tried to learn how to do it. Didn't have much success, though!

Anita

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:Yesterday I bought a new Dean edition of The Mystery of the Strange Bundle because I had forgotten most of it, and wanted to re-read. Its beginning was most suitable to me -- they were ill themselves! Not an actual mystery though, and more coincidence than pure investigation.
It's true that it's not the usual kind of mystery, but it's mysterious none the less. That's actually my favourite title of the series because of the humour and the dark yet cosy wintry atmosphere. After reading Strange Bundle at the age of about nine, I looked in the library for books on ventriloquism and tried to learn how to do it. Didn't have much success, though!

Anita
Yes, there is plenty of humour in this story, thanks, as usual, to Goon. He's silly of course, but it's very funny to see him becoming most polite when Fatty made those wonderful noises! Of course, Goon shouldn't have been fooled -- doesn't he smell a rat? By the way, the phrase "smelling a rat" is used to ingenuity by Inspector Jenks when he says: "Well, I may as well tell you that as soon as Goon told me that you were in the house with him, I smelt a rat! Not a dog or a pig or any other animal, Frederick, but a rat." :lol:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Ming

Post by Ming »

The Mystery of the Strange Bundle is one of my favourite books! It was amazing to see the tables turned on Goon when it came to clearing orf, and the idea of ventriloquism was very unique. I was disappointed, however, that this particular talent of Fatty's was not developed further.

We had the finals today, there were two stages. First the contestants had to respond to particular pieces of literature provided, in half an hour in writing. Then a 30 second or so of instrumental music was played, and they had to respond to it in a 3 minute presentation, with a prep time of 30 mins. There was an interesting variety of presentations - someone almost set the place on fire (the whole place was lit by candles only, and was decorated with fine net-like cloths), the girl who broke the glass yesterday wanted to burn all her papers (which was not allowed); it was good. The best thing however, was that AKS seized 2 of the medals - the champion and the 2nd runner up. Yay. :D

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Ming wrote:The Mystery of the Strange Bundle is one of my favourite books! It was amazing to see the tables turned on Goon when it came to clearing orf, and the idea of ventriloquism was very unique. I was disappointed, however, that this particular talent of Fatty's was not developed further.
I agree that it was most amazing that Goon himself was told to CLEAR OFF himself! Well done, Enid! About the ventriloquism thing, I seem to think that it was used in Banshee Towers? I think I'm wrong though.
Ming

Post by Ming »

It was used a bit in The Mystery of Holly Lane when Fatty frightens Mr Goon's cook's boy (forgot his name!) because he had on purpose captured Buster - but it was a short scene and I don't think the ventriloquism is used again.

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Ming wrote:It was used a bit in The Mystery of Holly Lane when Fatty frightens Mr Goon's cook's boy (forgot his name!)...
I think the boy's name was Bert. The scene there was very funny indeed, as usual thanks to Fatty. By the way, Fatty's nickname always makes me wince. Translation in Hindi will become Mote! You all might not know it, but here in India it is used as a derogatory tem to insult although it has become common and, err, "fashionable". School children often use it to call one's name when they don't know it. :roll:
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Fatty is also a rather derogatory term in English. As you say it is (or was) mostly used by children to persecute overweight kids. It is pretty much frowned upon now to use the word as a nickname for people. If I were to call another adult "Fatty" it would be a great insult and I would have to apologise.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Certainly when I was at school in the 50s/60s, fat children were very far and few between. Therefore, if a child was overweight, he/she stood out; unlike today, where it seems that the majority of people look overweight!

Where friends are concerned, derogatory terms can be friendly and not at all rude. Of course we wouldn't call people we don't know Fatty, but amongst friends I see no problem.
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Lucky Star wrote:Fatty is also a rather derogatory term in English. As you say it is (or was) mostly used by children to persecute overweight kids. It is pretty much frowned upon now to use the word as a nickname for people. If I were to call another adult "Fatty" it would be a great insult and I would have to apologise.
It still is used here! Of course, its translation is used, not the actual word. And worse still, they even use it to call kids (not knowing their name) who aren't overweight! Even if they might be extremely slim, I think everybody is the victim of the word. That's why I always have winced at Fatty.
Moonraker wrote:Where friends are concerned, derogatory terms can be friendly and not at all rude. Of course we wouldn't call people we don't know Fatty, but amongst friends I see no problem.
I think I agree here. Giving friends nicknames is no harm; I just remarked at the injustice being done when people use it to call people who are not overweight, just because they don't know their name, or else want to insult. :evil: :roll:
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Post by Somita »

Hi all!Merry Christmasto all the forumities! :D
May this christmas bring joy, happiness and success in your lives.
Cheers, Somita