A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: A Most Unlucky Day

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Leffe Blond, sounds like a woman Nigel. Does Jane know that's where you keep her. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Better than a woman, Julie. She is always ready, never says no and slips down a treat. :mrgreen:
Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

And I thought this is about anybody's most unlucky day. :lol:
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

peppermint peppy wrote:And I thought this is about anybody's most unlucky day. :lol:
Good point, peppermint! We are going off-topic here I think!

Back to the original topic, has anybody collections of a day which was "A Most Unlucky Day" or "The Day In Which Everything Went Wrong"? Even "The Day In Which Everything Went Right" would do. (Both of these topics are taken by essay books.) Just something which is memorable.

Personally I haven't got one of those days yet. My days are a mixture of good and bad, ups and downs, boring and exciting..... When my teacher asked me for a memorable day I couldn't remember one.

Last year, we had to write an essay at school on the topic, "Stuck in the Traffic Jam". Purely from my imagination (while there are sure a lot of days in which I was stuck in a traffic jam, there are none really memorable, just pure boring) I wrote it---the essay, that is---making it memorable by putting an accident in it. At that time it seemed a good thing to do. Now I think that I could've done without it, and write something unique. But well, what done is done.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
peppermint peppy wrote:And I thought this is about anybody's most unlucky day. :lol:
Not at all! It is a most unlucky day for me if there is no beer in my cupboard! In any case, going off-topic is what makes these threads interesting - I love the way they get railroaded; after all, the next writer can always steam it back on course!

Let's face it, if Ming hadn't been the first to go off-topic, we would never have had that conversation on hairy knees! :D
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:Let's face it, if Ming hadn't been the first to go off-topic, we would never have had that conversation on hairy knees! :D
This reminds me of an unlucky day! There was Nigel going on about knees, me trying to concentrate on writing a story, lots of homework to do, preparing for Eid (which didn't seem to end), tempers were short, lots of little arguments and quarrels, and on top of it all, my little bro placed a 2 inch cut on my neck! :lol:

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

[quote="Ming] tempers were short, lots of little arguments and quarrels, and on top of it all, my little bro placed a 2 inch cut on my neck! :lol:[/quote]

Good job it wasn't near your jugular vein Ming.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:....preparing for Eid (which didn't seem to end)....
Tell me about it...... :roll:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Good job it wasn't near your jugular vein Ming.
It was just under my chin, a bit more to the left. Brothers! Three years old or 17 years old, they're always a nightmare! :roll:

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:
Not at all! It is a most unlucky day for me if there is no beer in my cupboard! In any case, going off-topic is what makes these threads interesting - I love the way they get railroaded; after all, the next writer can always steam it back on course!

Let's face it, if Ming hadn't been the first to go off-topic, we would never have had that conversation on hairy knees! :D
I made a little joke wrapped up in a wonderful piece of fancy paper. :wink:
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Post by Somita »

Come on you, guys! You are going all off-topic. Share your experiences, guys! I modified the topic a little so that you would share any kind of experiences, not only unlucky ones. You can share adventurous experiences, exciting experiences, horrible experiences, anything!

Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Re: A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Post by Somita »

I found my old diary today. It was under my book-case, all dusty. In it, I found about an exciting day. :P
It was end of the year and end of my year in grade 5 {I m now in grade eight} and also the end of my study at that school (my now previous school). I had a plan to celebrate the end of the year. I had thought of going off somewhere to a new place for a day and picnic there. I told about this plan to my intimate friends (this includes my whole class, every one of us were intimate with each other). And of course, everybody agreed. So we processed the plan into action. We collected Rupees 25 each from friends who were going (25 out of 32). We were going for a cooking picnic so we had to arrange about utensils and buy food and other necessary stuffs. This was very exciting as well as time-consuming. The picnic day was fixed for a Saturday. Now the only thing left to fix was where to go. One of my friends said she knew an exotic place called Nilbarahi which was very good for spending a day and picnicking. So the place was also fixed.
On the day of the picnic, everybody gathered in my house and set off. Everybody had something or other to carry. On the way, some girls offered carry the load of one of the guys, who was the most popular and coolest boy of our class. Other boys grumbled, “If we were popular among these girls, we would have this load off our hands!” :lol: Only one (Radhika) of us knew the way to Nilbarahi, which is in the suburbs of the next city to mine. We followed Radhika and soon came to the river which is the boundary between Kathmandu and Bhaktapur. A small bridge was there in that part but it was crooked. Some crossed the river by the bridge while others including me took off our shoes and waddled across the river which was not very deep right there. At last, Radhika announced that we were near our picnic spot. Everybody sighed with relief as our legs were beginning to ache. :lol:
When we finally reached our picnic spot, we had hiked for 2 hours and more. But we were glad that we had walked because the place was very exotic and picturesque. Sad thing, nobody had brought a camera that day. A steep hill rose from the ground and there were fir and pine trees all over the place. Everything was natural and fresh. We rested for sometime and had a snack of bread and jam. Then we decided to cook our meal at the foot of the hill. As we had taken only one stove, we had to collect wood for another fire. Everybody was given something or other to do. Cooking experts began to cook. And I and some of my friends, after we did our share (fetching buckets of water from a nearby stone-tap and peeling the potatoes) went to climb the hill. We found that there was a small temple called Nilbarahi Mandir and one shop on top of the hill. From the top, we could see miles and miles around us. We nearly lost our way when returning down. :lol:
We had our meal. There were non-veg foods as well as veg (I m a vegetarian except that I eat eggs). We ate in paper plates and drank in plastic cups. The meal was really very good. After the meal, cleaned the utensils and burned the litters and covered the ash with soil. While washing some pots in the tap, I slipped and fell right under the tap and drenched my head. Everybody laughed and I grinned like a fool. :D After the work was completed, we explored the hill thoroughly. Near our picnic spot, we found a small cave-like hole and kept our belongings there. One of our friends, who was roaming around was chased by an ox which had escaped from its master. He ran round and round the field and the ox chased him like anything. Finally, the owner of the ox came and saw what was happening and caught hold of the ox. Our friend was white and frightened. He blinked several times. How we laughed at his face! :lol: (Of course, after he recovered. We, too, were frightened at first, before the ox-owner came). :roll:
Then it was time to return home. With luck, when we were out on the road, Radhika’s uncle arrived in his farm-truck. He hailed to us and we all climbed in the truck and sang while it headed onward. :wink:
The day was very exciting and nice, I think so.

P.S: It has been very lengthy, sorry for that, but I couldn’t help describing it in detail. I tried my best to shorten it, it has taken full five pages of my diary! And I m also sorry for a lot of brackets. And…….. I hope you guys enjoyed it and I also request you to share your experiences her. (How many times have I requested you to do so???)
Last edited by Somita on 16 Oct 2008, 05:34, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I don't know if this comes into the topic, but I've something to share. A mystery.

Well, of a type. It isn't truly a mystery, but...

It happened few weeks ago in school. Examinations were about to begin, and the teacher was checking our books. Well, bad luck for those who hadn't completed theirs....... Anyway, the strange happenings began to happen. People's things disappeared most mysteriously. Mostly, it was books, sometimes pens and things. The motive was obvious: the culprit wanted to complete his books and so took other people's (who had theirs complete) so that he could copy the things. Very neat, eh?
Our class teacher was horrified. She immediately said to the victim, "have all the bags checked". They were checked, but no book was found. Bo lost things either. It was all very puzzling.
Class Teacher demanded the person who had done it to own up. But, as you might expect, no one came forward. It was almost as if we all were innocent, but I and my friends knew that there was someone amongst us who was a thief. The question was: who was he/she?
I got excited, and proposed that we should search. But my friends were most disagreeable. Wonder why? Well, they didn't like mysteries. (*Shock*)
So I carried out my own investigations. I knew all the children in our class. Who was the most likely, and who was the least likely?
I'd have liked to continue on with my searches, but the affair came to an end which was inconclusive. The books hadn't been found. The teacher was sorry for the victims, but she could do nothing except say: "You must take better care of your belongings, especially when exams are near."
So, must dully that thing came to an end. No conclusion. Sometimes I still like to think of it. Who could've possibly stolen them and still not retrieved them? I hate to admit it, but I really had no idea.

THE END

Well, I know you don't know the suspects, but can you at least suggest the way of doing the 'crime'? Not a very exciting story I guess. But I said before, this is not truly a mystery. :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Loved reading your account of the picnic, Somita! I may have one or two anecdotes to relate on here but it'll have to wait until I've got a bit more time.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

I had an unlucky day on Wednesday. I had arranged to meet a friend of mine in the nearest town. As I had no car she said that she would collect me at the railway station. We made these arrangements before she went on a week's holiday to Spain, from which she only returned on Tuesday night. I arrived at the railway station at the appointed time and waited and waited and waited. Both my friend and I are old fashioned and rarely carry mobile phones (known as "handys" here in Germany!!), so she could not contact me and I could not contact her. As she is normally very punctual I was worried that something might have happened. I eventually gave up and took the next train home, thus "wasting" two train tickets (another six Euro down the drain). When I got home my husband had decided to have sausages for supper, so I had some too. As I was squeezing the mustard from the tube on to my plate there must have been an air-lock or something, as the mustard squirted everywhere, including on to the brand new white jacket that I was wearing. Needless to say, I was not amused. However, the good news is that my friend is OK and while she remembered that she was to meet me, she forgot that she had promised to pick me up at the railway station and had been worried when I failed to turn up at her house. And having retrieved the white jacket from the washing machine today it seems as if the mustard did not leave a permanent stain, so at least my unlucky day had a happy ending!!
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).