A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: A Most Unlucky Day (Share ur experiences, too!)

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Periods??? Do you mean Full Stops?
Picking on my American English again, Nigel? :wink:
See Philip? You've got us all at it now!

Report to Anita for punishment.

Ming, how many times have I told you ...
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:Ming, how many times have I told you ...
Let's see... only about 600. Bleh. Too bad your attempt to "Anglicise" me is not working.

Or maybe it is. I now use a curious mix of British and American English. Aarggh. All your fault. At least I stuck to one before. :wink:

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ming wrote:I've just qualified to go into the second round of our Interschool Writing and Oratory Competition.
Well done, Ming! Keep us posted about how things go.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Congratulations Ming. That sounds really great. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thank you. Round 2 takes place on Wednesday. We have to give a 3 minute talk on one of these themes - anger, mortality, power, conscience or bloodshed. It cannot just be a "speech", it has to be filled with emotions and powerful images. And have to use props to enhance the performance - this round will be based solely upon our presentation.

If after that I manage to get into the Final Round, things will be a challenge. It has not been exactly stated in the formal Event Details booklet, but the initial idea was that we have to select a piece of writing we really admire, and write our own version of it and present it in an unusual manner. I am not sure if this is going to be in the final round, but if it is so, I have been thinking of Enid's essay To the Popular Fallacy that to the Pure All Things are Pure. The first two rounds are being judged by school teachers (from various schools) and the finals will be judged by 3 university professors.

I'm hoping to be there, but not really counting on it! There are some good writers out there.

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote: See Philip? You've got us all at it now!

Ah -- I can't receive more punishment than already given (if this sentence is confusing then...), by falling ill during the last week of the holidays. Every minute (and every second indeed!) is so precious! When I think of school starting on Monday (a new term! It will last to April!), I....! Oh well, there are at least some things to look when school opens, such as English, Maths and Science lessons, as well as meeting up with friends who have gone away for holidays.
Last edited by Philip Mannering on 05 Nov 2008, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Philip Mannering wrote:

Ah -- I can't receive more punishment than already given, by falling ill during the last week of the holidays.
Sorry to hear you're unwell, Philip, but I'd better point out that I'm not responsible for your illness! I may have a magic moderator stick, but it's not that powerful! :twisted: :wink: Hope you're feeling better soon and that your doctor says you simply must spend three weeks boating and adventuring in a seaside village before returning to school (fat chance of that, methinks! :lol: )

Ming, I hope you get to do your planned reworking of Enid Blyton's essay. It sounds intriguing - and quite a challenge!

Anita

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Bad luck.

Is there any chance of persuading parents that you need a little holiday somewhere quiet before you face the rigours of the classroom again? :wink:

Viv

ps Anita has beaten me to the suggestion!
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Ming wrote:I've just qualified to go into the second round of our Interschool Writing and Oratory Competition.
Well done, Ming! Keep us posted about how things go.
Don't worry, Anita; she will.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:

Ah -- I can't receive more punishment than already given, by falling ill during the last week of the holidays.
Sorry to hear that Phil; it sounds dramatic - with what have you been stricken? It is certainly not down to Anita - she might dish out a good slap, but wouldn't make you unwell!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:- she might dish out a good slap
:twisted:
Moonraker wrote:Don't worry, Anita; she will.
And so she should! Best of luck, Ming!

Anita

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Hope you get well soon, Philip, I hope you are reading plenty of Blyton!

Ah, Anita, Nigel meant me and narcissism. :wink: :twisted:

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote: Ah -- I can't receive more punishment than already given I didn't say that you were responsible, Anita!, by falling ill during the last week of the holidays.
Sorry to hear you're unwell, Philip, but I'd better point out that I'm not responsible for your illness! I may have a magic moderator stick, but it's not that powerful! :twisted: :wink: Hope you're feeling better soon and that your doctor says you simply must spend three weeks boating and adventuring in a seaside village before returning to school (fat chance of that, methinks! :lol: )

Anita
I didn't say that you were responsible for my illness, Anita, (does my post sound like that? If so, I'll go and edit.) Three weeks boating and adventuring? That's wishful thinking! :roll: :lol:
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: Is there any chance of persuading parents that you need a little holiday somewhere quiet before you face the rigours of the classroom again? :wink:
No chance I'm afraid. My family are busy due to my brothers' studies, and there is absolutely no chance that we should all go away somewhere till January (and that also only if possible!) or probably April, when my school year ends.
Moonraker wrote:Sorry to hear that Phil; it sounds dramatic - with what have you been stricken?

Thanks. In answer to your question, fever (the cause I don't know!). Day (and the day before!) before yesterday and yesterday it was quite high -- but now I am feeling better, thanks to a very, very bitter, but effective medicine whose taste I shall remember always.
Ming wrote:Hope you get well soon, Philip, I hope you are reading plenty of Blyton!
I am getting quite well already, since I was ill for 3 to 4 days before I posted the other post! As for reading plenty of Blytons, I read The Island of Adventure yesterday, hence my idea of an Adventure series Readathon. Today I think I'm going to read The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat or The Mystery of the Invisible Thief or The Mystery of the Strange Messages.... (I just feel like a Mystery read today.) Also, I thought of The Rilloby Fair Mystery the most humorous work of Blyton. Well, the list is endless: so many wonderful books...
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Philip Mannering wrote:I didn't say that you were responsible for my illness, Anita, (does my post sound like that? If so, I'll go and edit.)
It's all right - I was only joking! :)
Philip Mannering wrote:Also, I thought of The Rilloby Fair Mystery the most humorous work of Blyton.
A great book to read when you're ill - it sparkles with humour and Snubby is on top form!

Anita

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Philip!

I've been knocked out in Round 2. Could not make it to the final round, but what's the worst that could happen? It was still a great experience, though. :D

My speech was totally impromptu (I could not prepare, my brain wasn't working), I changed my topics every second and finally settled down with a mixture of anger, power and conscience!

Society Member