Olympic Games (Beijing 2008)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Re: Olympic Games (Beijing 2008)

Post by Mollybob »

I'm enjoying the Olympics Viv :D
I don't always have time to watch much of it, but have been watching what I can. I've particularly enjoyed the swimming, diving and badminton so far. My favourite sport is tennis, so I'm hoping they will be showing some more of that soon, even if the British hopes are out.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Fantastic day for the British today! Equal number of golds with the Aussies at the moment. In our house, we're celebrating every British and Australian gold. I'm also hoping Michael Phelps makes the magic eight.

I see a cyclist from DSR's home town won a bronze tonight! Do you know him, DSR?
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

I'm also enjoying the Olympics, although I don't have as much time as I would like to spend in front of the TV. My favourite sports are the various horse events (three day event, dressage and show jumping) and gymnastics.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
dsr

Post by dsr »

I'd never even heard of him until recently, but he was on the front page of the local paper on Friday and I'm pretty sure he will be again next Friday! He was only supposed to be there for the experience.

I've not been following so far, I've been working on the Isle of Man and been out and about in the evenings. Might catch a bit of it this week.
DSR
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Greetings everyone! I'm a keen fan of the Olympics. I think they're great! :D

Moonraker, if you don't like them now, what are you going to do in 2012? Emigrate?
And what about the four years leading up to London? It'll be on the news constantly. :cry:

I'm only guessing - but could there be a lot more coverage over in the UK now because, unlike at a few recent Olympics, you guys are starting to win a few things? :wink:
More seriously, you deserve congratulations for your total domination of the track cycling. I saw the 4000m men's team pursuit on TV a few hours ago, and your team absolutely smashed the world record. And this time there's an exciting rivalry between Australia and Great Britain who are neck and neck on the medal tally!

I think Enid would have loved the Olympics concept - bright young people getting out and doing lots of physical activity - while advancing the Empire. She would probably have thought the American Michael Phelps was "wunnerful" (remember how George, Julian and Dick - and Timmy - were such strong swimmers).

Enid would have loved the sailing (think Andy in The Adventurous Four), she would have applauded the equestrian events for bringing "rosy cheeks to pale faces" (remember Kathleen Harris at Whyteleafe), and she would have loved the team events for the excitement and drama of every last minute goal.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

booklover wrote: Moonraker, if you don't like them now, what are you going to do in 2012? Emigrate?
And what about the four years leading up to London? It'll be on the news constantly. :cry:

It's in the South East News Bulletins constantly now!!! :shock:

And we're eight years away!!! :|
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

In A Childhood at Green Hedges, Imogen Smallwood writes:

"In good time for the 1948 Olympic Games, a black and white television set in an enormous mahogany cabinet was placed in the study, which thereafter became primarily the television room, with its wholesome smell of books replaced by the stale scent of the cigars that my stepfather came to smoke each evening. My stepfather mainly watched sport and quite often I watched with him. My mother did not like television at all. I suspect it was too pedestrian for her quick mind."

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Thank you Anita for posting the very interesting extract. :)

Perhaps I should have said in my post: Enid's characters would have loved the Olympic Games ...
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I've been watching the Olympics whenever I can. My family all gather at night to watch it and we all cheer madly and get really involved in it. I must say I have become a fan of the sailing! Very exciting with all the capsizing and terrible weather!

My favourite sports to watch are the gymnastic, horse jumping and diving. But I get into any of the olympic sports quite easily, especially when the competitors are very closely matched and it becomes very tense.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

me too, I've been watching it quite often also! I like the swimming (though I'm really not good at swimming at all), athletics and the tennis.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

booklover wrote: Moonraker, if you don't like them now, what are you going to do in 2012? Emigrate?
I'm sure I'll manage. It beggars belief to me how we can have fours years of speculation and news items on an event that will only last some sixteen days! I'm not against the event at all, I just don't want to watch it! Incidentally, I will have been retired two years by 2012, so I'm sure I'll find plenty with which to occupy myself! :D

I did watch some men running and jumping a few feet into a sand pit. Wow. You'd have thought the winner had invented a cure for cancer by the reaction of the presenters. :shock:
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

The British have done amazingly well at these Olympics - congrats to them! What I've enjoyed about the British success is seeing how much it's annoyed the Aussies! :lol: They are seriously cheesed off about losing to the "old enemy"!

New Zealand is a small country and doesn't tend to win many medals, but for our population size (a smidgeon over 4 million), we do very well. And the Beijing Olympics have been one of our most successful. We won three gold medals, which is about par for us. They were in the women's double sculls (twins Caroline and Georgina Evers-Swindell defended their Athens title by the tinest of margins), women's shot put (Valerie Vili) and men's boardsailing (Tom Ashley). Hayden Roulston became our most successful male track cyclist by winning our only silver medal (in the men's 4000m individual pursuit final, losing that to the great Bradley Wiggins) and a bronze in the men's 4000m team pursuit (made all the sweeter by beating Australia in the bronze medal race!). Mahe Drysdale was a hot favourite to win gold in the men's single sculls, but in the end could only manage bronze after being hit badly with "Beijing Belly". His performance was still very courageous though. George Bridgewater and Nathan Twaddle also won bronze in the men's coxless pairs. Bevan Docherty, who won silver in the Athens triathlon, could only manage bronze this time. Undoubtedly our most thrilling bronze medal went to Nick Willis in the men's 1500m final. Three New Zealanders - Jack Lovelock, Peter Snell and John Walker - have won Olympic gold in the men's 1500m race before, and a couple of other Kiwis have won minor medals in it, so it was great to see Willis, already the Commonwealth Games champion, join that elite group with a great run. He could be one to watch in London!

All up, New Zealand won 3 golds, 1 silver and 5 bronzes, which doesn't sound like much, but by this country's standards, a pretty decent little haul.

How about Michael Phelps - is that guy amazing or what? He has attention deficit disorder and some of his teachers said he'd never amount to anything. Bet they must be feeling a bit sick now! But my favourite athlete of these Games has been Usain Bolt: so incredibly fast, and such a funny guy as well! He's brought some great colour to the Olympics, as well as immense running talent. Indeed, the Jamaicans were outstanding in the sprinting, winning 6 gold medals, nearly doubling their entire gold medal haul in Olympic history! Not bad for a little island nation of about 2 million people (only half the population of NZ!).

Of course, there have been a few controversies (like the lip-synching girl in the opening ceremony and the under-age Chinese women's - or should I say girls' - gymnasts!), but on the whole, I think these have been a first-rate Olympics. London is certainly going to have a hard act to follow, but I'm sure they'll do a great job as well.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero