Get caught in the 80's

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Get caught in the 80's

Post by Lucky Star »

A Marathon bar was the original UK name for a Snickers bar. Opal Fruits were soft, chewy fruit flavoured sweets. Very popular in the 80's.

I forgot to mention Smash Hits magazine which was a weekly must for British/Irish music fans and then of course there was the worldwide craze called The Rubik's Cube. I was rubbish at that one, hardly ever got it to work out. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:A Marathon bar was the original UK name for a Snickers bar. Opal Fruits were soft, chewy fruit flavoured sweets. Very popular in the 80's.
Opal Fruits are still around but are now called Starburst.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The Global (American, it seems) Market has a lot to answer for!
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

peppermint peppy wrote:How have you experienced Falkland War and IRA bombings?
How have you managed to live with fear and risk? For me-they were news on TV only.
IRA bombings in the UK mainland only ended in 1996, not all that long ago really. Back in the 1970s, Northern Ireland was a nightly TV news item along with the Vietnam War and Southern Rhodesia. People simply got on with everyday life in much the same way as London has after the July 7th bombings.

On 5th April 1982, I observed the aircraft carrier HMS Hermes leave Portsmouth Harbour, it was the flagship of the Falklands Task Force. I had cycled from Fareham to Gosport and located a suitable vantage point close to the Gosport Ferry Terminal. The place was packed and I noticed with disdain that many of the crowd were treating the whole thing as a jamboree. I declined to wave a plastic flag like the silly masses and concentrated on taking a few photographs before cycling home.

HMS Hermes survives to this day, nearly 50 years old and still doing sterling service for the Indian Navy under the name of INS Viraat.
JuliaE
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers

Post by JuliaE »

peppermint peppy wrote: @Julia
But do you remember "Heidi" cartoon or "Bee Maja"?
Yes, of course I do, especially "Bee Maja". I was always afraid when the spider apeared. And I loved Flip!