royal visitor

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Tony Summerfield

Re: royal visitor

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just the one now, Tony got his scissors out! I'm not really one for royals myself, but I was shopping in Salisbury a few years ago and saw all these people behind barricades, so I went over to see what it was all about and the next minute I found myself shaking hands with Diana and speaking to her! :roll:
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Thanks for getting out the scissors Tony.

I always feel sad when I think of Princess Diana, as we were almost the same age and both got married in July 1981. Everything was so perfect then and who could have imagined that her life would develop into such a nightmare and end so tragically. Irrespective of the reasons I think it is all very sad.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It gives you pause for thought to think of all the tragedies that people suffer in the world - people who don't command the colossal publicity machine that the Princess of Wales had. These people have to suffer in silence.
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Boodi wrote:Petermax, have things really changed all that much since 1981?
There are the obvious changes such as the ever evolving technology, rising living standards and increased population. Britain certainly is a much wealthier country, at least on paper. The social changes are perhaps more evident. A significant proportion of our society has become dysfunctional, we have feral youths who are in evidence in even the remote country areas as well as the cities. Yobs have always been with us but their ways are rapidly becoming mainstream. The centre of my hometown is at times like an open air street theatre recreating the Jeremy Kyle Show! So yes, change has been very much in place since 1981, but the seeds were sown long before. We could go on discussing the subject but is this the right forum to do so?

The purpose of my original post was to add to Sue Webster's posting by sharing a photo and a few memories, quoting L. P. Hartley's very apt line as I did so. The past is a foreign country as indeed it is, but not necessarily better or worse, even though they do things differently there.
Moonraker wrote:It gives you pause for thought to think of all the tragedies that people suffer in the world - people who don't command the colossal publicity machine that the Princess of Wales had. These people have to suffer in silence.
Who would want the shallow life of celebrity, it must be a living nightmare. The death of Mother Teresa at around the same time attracted far less column inches.
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Moonraker wrote:It gives you pause for thought to think of all the tragedies that people suffer in the world - people who don't command the colossal publicity machine that the Princess of Wales had. These people have to suffer in silence.
Yes indeed, that it quite true. Mind you, I think I would prefer to suffer in silence...and hopefully dignity....than be caught up in a massive media circus, as at times the publicity surrounding the late Princess of Wales was far from dignified.

Petermax, I agree that there have been a great many social changes and that a significant proportion of our society has become dysfunctional, but while it is an interesting topic, I take your point that this may not be a suitable forum in which to discuss it.
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).