Christmas - it's all about ...

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Christmas - it's all about ...

Post by Ming »

I remember going to a theme park every Christmas and getting chocolates from Santa. I don't remember when we stopped going, but it must have been a few years.

I also like popping around to a Christian neighbour's house in the evening and eating some of Aunty Corina's, as we called her, delicious cakes and biscuits!! :lol:

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

For me, Christmas was about travelling down south to see an aunt and uncle, and my four much-elder cousins, which we did every second year until I was about 11 (and every second year they'd come up to my house). We would open our presents really early, and play games all day long, as well as go on the usual obligatory walk before Christmas lunch. And, of course, there was always the excitement of Father Christmas' arrival...
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

What a lovely post, Nigel!

The only thing I can think of to add to the thought above, is that it is always a pleasure to get my Christmas reading out! The Dickens Christmas books, The Long Winter, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, The Sittaford Mystery, End of Term et al. I can read them at any time of year, but they are a particular pleasure now.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great post Nigel. Christmas for me as a child began a few days beforehand with the anticipation. The house smelled of pudding, Christmas cake and food. There was wrapping paper and cards everywhere, the tree and crib were up and lit in our house as in every house on the street.

On Christmas morning we were up at about 7 o clock in the morning rushing downstairs to open presents and have breakfast before setting off to church. The Christmas day mass was always my favourite. The day continued with games, a wonderful dinner and then we would all decamp to my grandparents house for the afternoon. There more games, the big movie of the year and turkey sandwiches galore.

The whole thing is wayyyy too commercial nowadays. Its a cliche I know but we really do have to try to get back to the true spirit of Christmas. Still I'm sure that everyone here is goping to have a wonderful time and so I also wish Everyone here;

HAPPY CHRISTMAS
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Nice posts.
I also have happy memories of Christmas. Even now it is still always a special day with family. The preparation for the day is a lot more fun for a child than a grownup I think!

According the inscriptions in the books, in 1969 I received both the Rockingdown Mystery and Ragamuffin Mystery. (All my other 'R' books are second hand.)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

This time last week I was giving readings from The Christmas Book at a slap up five course dinner for a weekend houseparty in Somerset. Life can be so hard at times... especially when I realised that I had left my books on the sofa at my sisters and had to drive an hour to collect them!

We have been warming up for Christmas over a couple of weeks. The Melstock Band and the New Scorpion Band both tour Dorset village halls at this time, with traditional and Christmas music. Most people have never seen a Serpent played - I saw 2 in a fortnight!

Sadly I was in the shop when my dance group went to Dorchester - but it was so wet they didn't do much dancing. I attended the practice sessions, when our usual dances were set to Christmas Carols and songs - and it is so confusing with different music!

My Conservation group always have a splendid Christmas dinner, which was last weekend. Our Christmas Tree (nicked from a nature reserve) is suspended from a village hall ceiling, the trunk held secure in the spare wheel from the trailer. The decorations come principally from the hedgerows and the Dorset Scrapstore (we had scrap streamers from Cunard - the size for throwing over the side of a liner!) It's all on a shoestring budget but we have a wonderful feast and its a lovely ending to the year for a group that is out most weekends in all weather.

This year I have taken full responsibilty for the nephew's Stocking. The most dramatic thing was something a child bought in another shop, then abandoned, and I found at closing time - a ball that looks like a sea urchin and lights up when provoked! He will be watching the Snowman with me for the third time - not bad for a 2 year old.

I hope everyone here has a very happy time.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Merry merry Christmas to all in here.

Dunno how you will be celebrating imminent holidays but we're gonna have them with gingerbread/lebkuchen and mulled claret/mulled spiced cider as well.
(basic equipment :oops:).

I wish you a peaceful and blessed Christmas.Your dreams shall come true!

Peppermint Peppy aka .... :mrgreen:

Btw,
don't forget to howl/sing at a Christmas tree!!!!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's all about children too.

My special little grandson, seven, and who is disabled, bought home a picture for his mummy. It was a painting of Rudolph, but this is a special Rudolph, as his antlers were of Callum's hands, and his face was of Callum's foot. The teachers had put a little red nose in the centre of the face, and two little eyes. We were highly delighted to see this lovely painting, using hands and feet. The staff at all these special schools for severely disabled children do a wonderful job, and love all the special children who we entrust in their care.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I am a fairly new forum user and this is a brief note to say how glad I am that I registered to become a user. Since joining in October, I have enjoyed accessing the forums and reading the various comments and keeping up with the latest Blyton news. I'd like to say a special thank you to Tony for his help, encouragement and guidance: all much appreciated. I look forward to using the forums to an even greater extent in 2008 - and beyond. In the meantime, I should just like to wish all the Enid Blyton Society members and the Forum users a MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Taken from Five Go Adventuring Again:
“All right,” said Julian. “It’s Christmas Eve tonight. Aunt Fanny is going into the study with Uncle Quentin to wrap up presents for all of us!”
A happy and peaceful Christmas to everyone :)
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Just finished wrapping presents in the study, though Quentin wasn't much help!
A very happy Christmas to you all. Aunt Fanny. :) :D :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

Seasonal greetings to all Ebs members. Hope you all enjoyed your turkeys, and gingerbread :D
Tomorrow is SALE day good luck with bargain hunting. 8)
There is always something else new to learn.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Susie wrote: Tomorrow is SALE day good luck with bargain hunting. 8)
So, are you one of those sad people who can't keep out of the shops for more than 24 hours? If I had my way, all shops would be closed between 24th December and the 2nd January. Just imagine the poor staff, one day off with their families, then back to work on Boxing Day, just because people can't stay at home and have a good time. Aaarrgghhh!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's all about pressie's too.

I had bought for me the Boys and Girls Ladybird book of Childhood. Very nostalgic, even the pages smell like they use to, in the 50's & 60's.

One chapter had me smiling. It is titled:- Things I Can Smell. Listed is school dinners, train brakes, and it goes on etc. Then you come down the list to, Grandma and Grandad's house. :?

(Maybe someone is trying to tell us something!!! :oops:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Then you come down the list to, Grandma and Grandad's house. :?
Perhaps what they mean is the lovely smell of Grandma's baking? :D

Society Member