Sandwiches

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Sandwiches

Post by Boatbuilder »

Of course you can't toast those, Ice_Gemz, not unless you want a soggy mess. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

If Uncle Quentin made breakfast...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/con ... fast_tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I can't say it appeals to me, but I suspect Quentin might not even notice what he was putting on his cereal.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I'd be prepared to try that, might be nice.

I was watching Back in Time for the Corner Shop recently, and the family tried an Edwardian breakfast recipe - melted Marmite on Shredded Wheat - they weren't impressed. :lol:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:If Uncle Quentin made breakfast...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/con ... fast_tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
Mmmm, not for me, thanks — but reading the whole article, I can't stop laughing!!! (Especially at the Jackie Weaver reference. :twisted: :wink: )

Incidentally, my own favourite unorthodox pairing is baked beans with mashed potato, so there. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay wrote:Incidentally, my own favourite unorthodox pairing is baked beans with mashed potato, so there. 8)
Sounds like a deliciously normal combination to me. :wink:
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Not really! i like both Weetabix and baked beans, but not together. On the other hand, I have no problem with baked beans and mash and may have even eaten it on a few occasions!!!
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: Sounds like a deliciously normal combination to me. :wink:
Boodi 2 wrote:On the other hand, I have no problem with baked beans and mash and may have even eaten it on a few occasions!!!
Oh good. I was hoping I wasn't breaking some unwritten British law there. :wink: :wink:
Last edited by Courtenay on 22 Feb 2021, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Getting back to sandwiches:

Enid had a wonderful knack for making the humble sandwich sound like the most appetising thing ever:
‘”Cucumber dipped in vinegar! Spam and lettuce! Egg! Sardine! Oooh, Mr Luffy, your sandwiches are much nicer than ours,” said Anne, beginning on two together, one cucumber and the other Spam and lettuce” (Five Go Off to Camp, sandwich-maker: Mrs Luffy).

‘”Aunt Fanny cut dozens and dozens of sandwiches,” said Anne. “She said if we kept them in this tin they wouldn’t go stale, and would last a day or two till we went back. I’m hungry. Shall we have some now?”

They sat out in the sun, munching the ham sandwiches. Anne had brought tomatoes too, and they took a bite at a sandwich and then a bite at a tomato.’ (Five on a Secret Trail, sandwich-maker: Aunt Fanny, with improvisation by Anne).

Potted meat (devoured ravenously and even two at a time by a malnourished Uncle Quentin) (Five on Kirrin Island Again, sandwich-maker: Aunt Fanny).

‘They had a magnificent lunch about half-past twelve. Really, Mrs Johnson had surpassed herself! Egg and sardine sandwiches, tomato and lettuce, ham – there seemed no end to them!’ (Five Go to Mystery Moor, sandwich-maker: Mrs Johnson, of Johnson’s Riding School).

‘”I made [Timmy’s] sandwiches myself.” [said George]. And so she had! She had bought sausagemeat at the butchers and had actually made Timmy twelve sandwiches with it, all neatly cut and packed. (Five Get Into Trouble, sandwich-maker: George).

Perhaps the best sandwich-making and eating in the Famous Five books comes in Five on a Hike Together. The process of making the cheese, pork, ham and egg sandwiches (4 different types – not all together!) is stretched across no less than five pages (the children do ask for eight sandwiches each so it takes a while) and then there are seven pages of expectation and build up before the children finally sit down in the heather on Fallaway Hill in the late autumn sun to munch their sandwiches while gazing across the lonely moor.

‘At last the sandwiches were finished and the old woman appeared again. She had packed them up neatly in four parcels of grease-proof paper, and had pencilled on each what they were. Julian read what she had written and winked at the others.

“My word – we’re in for a grand time!” he said.’

(Five on a Hike Together, sandwich-maker: un-named ‘shop woman’ aka ‘old woman’ aka ‘Ma’)
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Excellent -
thinks - where's the bread

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I'm very hungry now :lol:.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I don't think chicken sandwiches feature very often but Peggy and co. in The Secret of Spiggy Holes have chicken sandwiches (and tomato sandwiches) in the train on their way to Spiggy Holes.

In the short stories there are often parties with "x different kinds of sandwiches." In 'Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party', for example, we're told that "Merry counted twelve different kinds of most extraordinary sandwiches, and twelve different kinds of cakes."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have just started yet another diet, so this is making me feel even hungrier :evil:
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Surely you can have some healthy sandwiches, though? :D Chicken and salad with low-fat yoghurt dressing on wholemeal bread, maybe? (Not very Blytonesque, I know.)
Society Member

Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I actually had a small portion of chicken with some salad for my lunch today. I am trying to avoid bread and other "carbs" such as pasta and potatoes and have just purchased a packet of crispbread. I usually don't eat much crispbread, but during a diet I find that everything tastes delicious!!!
Society Member