Sandwiches

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Sandwiches

Post by Courtenay »

I know the Famous Five eat rather a lot of potted meat, but I can't remember whether or not it ever gets into sandwiches! :wink:
Katharine wrote:Maybe I'll work on the theory that if it's not mentioned in one of Enid Blyton's stories, then it doesn't count as a real sandwich.
Oi mate, that excludes cheese and Vegemite sandwiches!! :twisted: (And even cheese and Marmite, for that matter. Or indeed, I don't think Enid ever mentions cheese and pickle either.)
Anita Bensoussane wrote: There is no mention of an "open sandwich" - or is that too much of an oxymoron even for a radical rebel?! :lol:
Now that's making my head spin too... :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I can't recall Enid ever mentioning Marmite, maybe she wasn't a fan, as I know it had been around since the Edwardian era. I think we can excuse her for not mentioning Vegemite though - I hadn't heard of it until I started watching Neighbours back in the 1980's.

I think she has mentioned pickle when talking about farmhouse meals, but not sure it was ever included in a sandwich.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:
So, not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but anyone remember what sandwiches Enid Blyton mentions?

I can only think of sausages sandwiches which were in one of the Barney books.
just remembered this from Hike:
‘It will also be heavenly having some of those sandwiches,’ said Dick, choosing a lump of heather too. ‘What comfortable seats are provided for us! I’ve a good mind to take a tuft of this heather back to school with me to put on the very hard chair that goes with my desk!’

Julian put the four packets of sandwiches down in the heather. Anne undid them. They looked wonderful!
‘Super!’ said Anne. ‘What do you want first?’

‘Well, speaking for myself I’m going to have one of each, put them all on top of one another, and have a huge bite of cheese, ham, pork and egg at once,’ said Dick. Anne laughed.

‘Even your mouth isn’t big enough for that,’ she said. But somehow Dick managed, though it was difficult.
‘Disgusting behaviour,’ he said, when he had managed the first mouthful. ‘I think on the whole that one at a time is more economical. Hie, Timmy - have a bit?’
There's a pic in the 1977 Hike annual of Dick doing this!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Pete.

Was that the story where they order sandwiches from a shop, and there's a sort of maths question where they work out how many slices they will need?
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes!

Here's the pic from the annual and the equation:

‘What do you want - cheese, egg, ham or pork?’
‘Well - we’d like some of all of those,’ said Julian, ‘The bread looks so nice too.’
‘I make it myself,’ said the woman, pleased, ‘All right - I’ll go and make you some.
‘How many can you manage each?’ asked the woman, suddenly reappearing. ‘My son, he has six - that’s twelve rounds of bread.’
‘Well - could you manage eight sandwiches for each of us?’ said Julian. The woman looked astonished. ‘It’s to last us all day,’ he explained, and she nodded and disappeared again.
‘That’s a nice little sum for her,’ said Anne. ‘Eight sandwiches each, making sixteen rounds of bread - for four people!’
‘Well, let’s hope she’s got a bread-cutting machine!’ said Dick. ‘Or we’ll be here for keeps!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Pete - that's what I was thinking of.
Society Member
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

‘Peach and apricot jam with a dash of pickle.’

I’m sure this is what sandwiches Uncle Quentin made for the children in ‘Runaway’. I think it was said in the TV series though.

Sounds disgusting! :|
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I pretty much feel that if it's got two bits of bread anything can go in the middle. A chip butty therefore is definitely a sandwich. To me a wrap or sub etc isn't a sandwich but can be eaten in place of one.

An open sandwich is an abomination (I'm only half-kidding). It's either a way to save calories or a restaurant to save money while making a pretentious presentation of drizzled bits on bread. I mean a slice of toast isn't a sandwich no matter what toppings it has... so neither is a single bit of bread with a topping.

Yet an ice-cream sandwich is clearly a sandwich... but wouldn't be eaten as the main part of lunch (normally)...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

There is no better sandwich than a chip butty. One Oddies' teacake (Oddies' being the local baker, and teacake being the local word for a bread roll) thickly spread with butter and tomato sauce, and as many chippy chips as can be fit on top. Can't be beat.

[Edit] and then I look back at the previous page and find I posted the same thing, in every detail, 14 years ago. My tastes don't change!
DSR
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

dsr wrote:...and as many chippy chips as can be fit on top.
All those 'chippy chips' don't sound very healthy, though, unless of course they are from 'The Frying Pan' on Skipton Road. ;)
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

The Cemetery is my chippy of choice now. Though we have tried the Frying Pan too and found it very good.
DSR
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

dsr wrote:There is no better sandwich than a chip butty. One Oddies' teacake (Oddies' being the local baker, and teacake being the local word for a bread roll) thickly spread with butter and tomato sauce, and as many chippy chips as can be fit on top. Can't be beat.

[Edit] and then I look back at the previous page and find I posted the same thing, in every detail, 14 years ago. My tastes don't change!
:) Nothing wrong with sticking with something you like.

I'm glad you explained what a teacake is, I had visions of you putting chips between something that resembled a fruit scone. :shock:
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Yes, I also thought that a teacake would be something like a scone or muffin!
Believe it or not, I have never tasted a chip butty, so I really must try one, although I suspect that the chips here in Germany are not the same as in the UK...those on sale here are more like the McDonald's variety, very thin and crunchy.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I know a teacake as a toasted bun with currants and sultanas in it. A barmcake would be a buttered bread roll you'd put chips in. Definitely chip shop ones smothered in ketchup. Although Aldi has started selling lovely thick chips done in dripping and they are extremely good :D .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

When I hear 'teacake' I think of the Tunnock's teacakes - biscuit with a thin layer of jam, topped with a marshmallow dome, and coated in chocolate :)

A slightly different variation of this is the snowball, essentially the same but sprinkled with desicated coconut on top.