Sandwiches

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Sandwiches

Post by Barnard »

German salami with French mustard makes a good sandwich.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Sounds good, although I haven't tried it! I like ham (any country of origin, preferably thin sliced) with English mustard. And have I mentioned cheese and Vegemite sandwiches?? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Courtenay wrote:I know the Famous Five eat rather a lot of potted meat, but I can't remember whether or not it ever gets into sandwiches! :wink:
I remembered this posting when I read Willow farm yesterday. When they first go to see Tammylan after the move they take sandwiches with potted meat:
"Now, what would you like for your picnic lunch, I wonder? I’ll make you some potted meat sandwiches, and you can take some cake and a packet of biscuits. There is a big bottle of milk between you too, if you like."
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Would "potted meat" have any similarity to pate? I don't remember ever seeing or tasting potted meat, but it sounds like it ought to be similar.
DSR
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

This might help you decide, dsr.

http://www.binghamsfood.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Five Go Feasting cookbook that I gave to Mum a couple of years ago (there's a discussion on it here) has a recipe for homemade potted meat. I don't think anyone's been game to try it, though! :wink: I also once had a cookbook — I think I got rid of it in one of my moves or clear-outs — that contained a recipe for Norfolk-style potted crab, which I haven't tried either. It was made in the very traditional manner in ceramic or earthenware pots, with melted butter poured over the top and left to set, presumably to help preserve it in the days before refrigeration!

Those Bingham's potted meats look worth trying — obviously very high quality, since they officially say "No to Offal!" I'm sure a lot of the potted meats produced during the war would have been "offal" indeed... :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

"I'm so scared. I wish I had a ham sandwich to calm my nerves!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlGOK_AVKo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Boatbuilder wrote:This might help you decide, dsr.

http://www.binghamsfood.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. I have ordered some potted beef on my next Sainsbury delivery. If I remember, I'll let you know what it's like!
DSR
dsr

Post by dsr »

pete9012S wrote:
"I'm so scared. I wish I had a ham sandwich to calm my nerves!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlGOK_AVKo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If there was ever anything to make me feel unhungry, that fish pie with pepperoni and chocolate sauce two minutes in is the thing to do it. :?
DSR
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

I didn’t even know potted meat was a thing these days. I always wondered what it was when I read the Famous Five books.

I’ll definitely have to try the Binghams stuff.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

My Dad used to take potted meat sandwiches to work for lunch. The little bottles in the fridge always looked very unappetising to me so I never tried it. As a child in World War II, Dad grew up eating unsavoury (to me) things like this or 'dripping on bread', so I guess I just thought it was an old-fashioned thing. I'm not a pate fan though.

Though I like a good sandwich I have never (except once or twice, unwillingly) had butter or margarine on my bread. I don't mind butter it if it's necessary (eg in the case of garlic bread) but don't like it on sandwiches, crumpets etc. Though I love a chip butty, mine have always been butter-free.

I used to get very strange looks at sandwich bars and cafes when I ordered a sandwich saying 'no butter'. I always wondered how I would fare trying this in a German cafe as the word for a sandwich is 'butterbrot' (Buttered Bread).
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

My dad would only eat bread/toast with jam or marmalade without butter, but from memory he always had butter on other sandwiches. Personally, I always have butter on bread/toast, although I have eaten toast and jam without butter but wasn't that keen on it (too dry) so went back to having butter as well.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

GloomyGraham wrote:I used to get very strange looks at sandwich bars and cafes when I ordered a sandwich saying 'no butter'. I always wondered how I would fare trying this in a German cafe as the word for a sandwich is 'butterbrot' (Buttered Bread).
I think many people wouldn't understand you and wonder if you really want a bread just with butter - or plain bread in your case. Maybe it depends on the age or region of people. Most persons I know say "belegtes Brot" (I'd translate it as "bread with something on it)". Sandwich is used in German too but usually just if you have two slices of soft bread (like bread for toasting) with something between them.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Any takers? I don't think the bread is buttered GloomyGraham if that helps!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :shock: :shock: I'll pass, thanks, Pete.
Society Member