Sandwiches

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Sandwiches

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Moose:] About discussing religion, I actually think that it's an interesting subject and would be interested in discussing it but I guess I can understand if the administrators thought it was off topic or inappropriate for this forum. I think that we are enough of a close knit group that we could do so without problems tho.
I wasn't wearing my "moderator hat" when I expressed my concerns, and I hadn't discussed it with admin. I was just thinking that religious topics have the potential to be divisive and I was wondering whether other people thought the same.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I was just thinking that religious topics have the potential to be divisive and I was wondering whether other people thought the same.Anita

Personally, I wouldn't join in (Hurrah!, I hear you shout) as I make it a point not to get involved in religion or politics. Both cause untold trouble in the world (or certainly appear to), and I feel that people's beliefs (or unbeliefs) are personal to them, and such discussions can lead to arguments and unpleasantness. As our friends in this relatively small community have different beliefs, I think that prolonged debate might end up making hackles rise.

Only my opinion though! I suppose if a separate thread was created, then those of us who weren't interested needn't look. I still think that Moose's Forum is more suited to this topic than this one. Again, only my opinion. :)
Last edited by Moonraker on 21 Sep 2007, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Of course, (and this really ought to end the thread, it's so self-evidently the last word :D ) the CHIP BUTTY is and always will be the greatest sandwich of all time. The ideal recipe is the thickly buttered teacake from Oddie's, with Heinz tomato sauce, as many Fryday's (Burnley) chips as it will hold, and vinegar (any make). Of course, for those of you not living in East Lancashire, it might be difficult to arrange. I'd post a few out, but they don't travel well.

(I should mention that in our part of Lancashire, unlike the rest of the world, a teacake doesn't have currants in. It's just bread - aka a bap, bread bun, bread roll, etc.)
DSR
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

My dad comes from Lancashire originally. When I was a child I used to love visiting my grandparents in Preston and tucking into Lancashire delicacies like hotpot, steak-pudding and parkin. I also loved the Lancashire dialect - my grandparents used to use some lovely expressions like "By gum!", "Come hither" and "Well, I'll go t' foot o' my stairs!", which I never heard anyone say at home in Wales.

Anita

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Teacakes don't have currants in here either :). Chip butties can be nice .. I tend to put a bit of battered fish in mine as well.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moose wrote:Teacakes don't have currants in here either :). Chip butties can be nice .. I tend to put a bit of battered fish in mine as well.
What happened to your diet? :twisted: :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Moose wrote:Teacakes don't have currants in here either :). Chip butties can be nice .. I tend to put a bit of battered fish in mine as well.
What happened to your diet? :twisted: :wink:
She'll probably start again to-morrow! Image
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'll have to say the good old chip butty too.

Fattening I know, buy why worry.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Just reviving a very old thread, as I found this interesting graphic somewhere online yesterday and wanted somewhere to share it...

I must admit for me, only the BLT, the sub and the chip butty register in my mind as legitimate sandwiches (not that all the other variations shown are necessarily bad — they're just not what I would call a sandwich!!), so I must be somewhere between a purist and neutral on structure and ingredients. I couldn't call a hot dog a sandwich (nor a sausage in bread — the Aussie equivalent — unless the sausage is sliced and between two pieces of bread), so I can't really be true neutral. I do like wraps and burritos, mind you, so at a pinch I MIGHT stretch to calling them a sandwich... sort of. But I trust I'll never go sliding into Radical Sandwich Anarchy. :twisted: :wink:

So... where do you fit in on the chart?? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It just makes my head whirl, to be honest!

There is no mention of an "open sandwich" - or is that too much of an oxymoron even for a radical rebel?! :lol:

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm like you Courtenay, somewhere between the purist and neutral.

For me, a 'true' sandwich is two slices of bread containing a filling, could simply be jam or Marmite, or something more substantial such as cheese and salad. I would however stretch to a wrap or a roll to be included in the sandwich category, as they are all items I would have for lunch.

A hot dog is a hot dog, definitely not a sandwich, but not sure quite what category I would place it in meal wise, as a sandwich is lunch, whereas a hot dog isn't really lunch or dinner, just for BBQ's.

The ice cream waffle looks and sounds delicious but I would put that under a dessert heading, so would have it after a 'proper' sandwich, not instead of. :wink: :wink:

Anita - don't confuse things! I hadn't considered an open sandwich. Never really grasped the concept of that, surely it's just a salad with a slice of bread to go with it? :lol:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit I'm not sure what counts as an "open sandwich"! The concept may require a whole new chart! :lol:

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Maybe I'll work on the theory that if it's not mentioned in one of Enid Blyton's stories, then it doesn't count as a real sandwich.

So, not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but anyone remember what sandwiches Enid Blyton mentions?

I can only think of sausages sandwiches which were in one of the Barney books.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

In Rilloby Fair, Barney, Roger and Diana had sausage sandwiches which made them ill. Snubby had tomato sandwiches and ended up watching out for thieves at the castle that night on his own.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks John, I couldn't think of which one it was in, although I thought there was food poisoning involved, but couldn't think what the other person had eaten.
Society Member