Any writers trying to get published?!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Any writers trying to get published?!

Post by Almas »

I am amazed and happy to hear that our Liz (Lizarfau) will have her book published. An amazing achievement indeed! :)

Anyways, are there any more unpublished authors here on the forums trying to get their stories published?

I know this may seem a bit funny, but I am one. I am deeply inspired by Enid and wrote a 30,000 word novel. I had completely plagriazed (I hope the spelling its right!) the plot of House at the Corner and sent it to one of the children's magazines here in my country only to find that, what came of it was a rude rejection slip! :evil: :oops: :cry:

I have tried to write a quality novel just like one of Enid's but I know I will never be able to :oops:

Anyways, any authors here trying to get published?! :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Stephen

Re: Any writers trying to get punlished?!

Post by Stephen »

I have written nearly 600 short stories (sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural/surrealism) since the age of 14 basically as a hobby. Several people have suggested I try to get something published - but the truth is I'm simply too scared of rejection, especially if I was to spend a great deal of time, effort and TLC on a piece of work that was to ultimately come to nothing. I won a BBC RaW competition last year and my local library politely suggested what I should do were I to take it up professionally - and it's pretty frightening! It's not just the ability to come up with a fair yarn and have a good imagination. You also need nerves of steel, patience, determination and a thick skin. In fact, I really do admire those who succeed in this business, so good luck!
Silky-Elf
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Silky and Moonface
Location: Tunisia (but I have now moved to The Enchanted Wood!)

Post by Silky-Elf »

whats surrealism?

...and what kind of fantasy stories have you written? are they like harry potter or the faraway tree???
:)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Surrealism's essentially "odd stuff". As an example, I once wrote about people who suddenly turned into cars (I can't quite remember the reason!) I've done a few "Blytonesque" stories, but they usually involve some degree of fantasy, whether it's time travel, aliens or simply magic . For instance, remember earlier this year when I started a thread asking about the history of Kirrin Castle? That's because I was writing about the Famous Five going back in time to the Middle Ages!
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Hi Stephen,
you have experience in writing stories,you won a price and you are scared of rejection. :? I don't understand the world any longer!
Why don't you open up a website with a small choice of your stories?
I never won a price in any competition but I know one thing: Chin up and never say die!
See you!
P.P.
Silky-Elf

Post by Silky-Elf »

I ONCE WROTE A SHORT STORY CALLED "THE BOY AND HIS LITTE BOAT" WHEN I WAS IN GRADE 3 AND IT WAS PUBLISHED IN MY SCHOOL NEWSLETTER... :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wrote a few childrens novels, (inspired by Blyton of course), when my daughter was young. I sent a few off, as you do, to the publishing houses, and they got rejected, so after about the fourth attempt, I gave up.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I'd love to have a literary translation published - does that count? Not sure how - or if - it will come about though.

When I was younger, I used to write juvenile mystery and adventure novels that were kind of a combination of the Famous Five, the Three Investigators and the Hardy Boys. They were great fun to write at the time, but as I got older I realised that they were really quite ludicrous. That said, they do actually have some quite good moments. I did try rewriting the first two or three when I got a real word processing program for the first time (in the late 1980s), and they were an improvement on before, but I was never really entirely happy with them. Eventually, I just kind of moved on to other things.

Some authors also dabble in literary translation, so maybe if I succeed in one day getting a literary translation published, it might open doors to getting some of my own creations published (if I ever go back to those old novels, or maybe try to create some new characters). Claude Voilier has done a lot of literary translation as well as writing her own books and stories. Sarah Bosse (who writes the current new German Famous Five books) has translated Swedish children's books into German (and even won awards for some of them). Enid Blyton herself translated some Babar stories. Doing literary translation can be, among other things, a good way to hone your own writing skills.

Actually, I've sort of been published once. A few months ago, I wrote a satirical radio skit for an online radio show about the Australian version of Big Brother. It poked fun at a really cringeworthy column on the official Aussie BB Web site. And they aired it! You can actually listen to it here (but please note, it's a bit rude in places):

http://www.behindbigbrother.com/radio_m ... s-skit.mp3

Well, I reckon if you write a skit and it's actually broadcast, that counts of publication, even if it is to a somewhat limited audience. The people who hosted the show seemed to like it, anyway! :D Not very Blytonian, though! :lol:
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm laughing like anything!!! :lol: :lol:

Is the man who is speaking you?

Society Member
RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

No, it's not me. It's one of the people who did the radio broadcast.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

They both sound a little weird! :lol:

Society Member
RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

You might say the same if you heard my voice. :lol: They were acting, though. So I don't think those were their normal voices!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Susie

Post by Susie »

So sorry Almas but I read the title as "Any writers trying to get punished." It took me a few minutes to realise you meant Published. :lol:
There is always something else new to learn.
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I wrote a few childrens novels, (inspired by Blyton of course), when my daughter was young. I sent a few off, as you do, to the publishing houses, and they got rejected, so after about the fourth attempt, I gave up.
8)
Aaargghhh! J.K. Rowling got 12 rejections from publishing houses, Julie and I'm sure our Enid got numerous too.

What kind of stories did you write?

I'd love to hear... :D
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Silky-Elf

Post by Silky-Elf »

• I AM ALWAYS SO CURIOUS ABOUT AUTHORS AND THEIR LIVES.

THEY JUST NEED TO SIT BACK AND RELAX IF THEIR NOVEL BECOMES A BESTSELLER. TALE JK ROWLING FOR EXAMPLE. SHE HAD PUBLISHED ONLY 5 BOOKS WHEN SHE BECAME A BILLIONAIRE.