What makes you annoyed?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: What makes you annoyed?

Post by Wolfgang »

Well, today the site worked...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's good. Maybe it was overwhelmed yesterday by lots of people trying to use it?
Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I don't think so. The site tried to look for it, then it said something along the lines, that they have sent a computer into space, but they haven't been there where I want to be. I suppose the site wasn't active then.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I had an unusual occurrence with Amazon last night, Wolfgang.

About a week ago I preordered a boxed set of DVD’s which is due out on 4th May. Somewhat unusual for Amazon, a charge later appeared for the full amount (£19.99) in my ‘in transit’ items at my bank, which it never does for a pre-order. I thought nothing more of it as I expected it to ‘disappear’ after 7 days which is what happens if a charge isn’t taken from the bank by then.

However, last night when I came to reconcile my bank account as I do each evening, the full amount had been taken out of my account by Amazon. I then checked to see what the order status was and it still said 4th May.

I then got on to them and queried it. Eventually they determined it was an error on their part. I asked if they were going to refund it and charge on despatch, to which they responded that to do that I would have to cancel the order and re-order the item. I told them as it was their mistake I don’t see why I should do all the ‘work’.

The person them transferred my chat to another person called ‘Ronaldo’ (wondered if it was the footballer doing some moonlighting :D ), possibly a supervisor, who eventually decided to issue me with a ‘promotional credit’ to my account if I let the early charge stand, which I did.

It took almost 30 minutes of online chat with the two people to resolve it to my satisfaction, so I hope they don’t try and charge me again on dispatch in May. :roll:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm trying to avoid talking to Amazon myself. I have every Kindle book in the St Mary's series by Jodi Taylor. When you own a Kindle book you can "upgrade" it by adding the Audible narrator at a greatly reduced price. Unfortunately my Kindle books were bought a few years ago, before Jodi Taylor switched publishers. Amazon no longer recognises my purchases (they are in my history but are dead links now) and I can't upgrade with the narration. I've spoken to some other fans of the series and they've been through all this with Amazon. One got the Kindle books refunded and rebought - but I know I got them on promotion for under £2 and they are £6 now...

And yes I know everyone will pile on about the benefits of 'real' books but I do read those too!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Boatbuilder wrote:I had an unusual occurrence with Amazon last night, Wolfgang.

About a week ago I preordered a boxed set of DVD’s which is due out on 4th May. Somewhat unusual for Amazon, a charge later appeared for the full amount (£19.99) in my ‘in transit’ items at my bank, which it never does for a pre-order. I thought nothing more of it as I expected it to ‘disappear’ after 7 days which is what happens if a charge isn’t taken from the bank by then.

However, last night when I came to reconcile my bank account as I do each evening, the full amount had been taken out of my account by Amazon. I then checked to see what the order status was and it still said 4th May.

I then got on to them and queried it. Eventually they determined it was an error on their part. I asked if they were going to refund it and charge on despatch, to which they responded that to do that I would have to cancel the order and re-order the item. I told them as it was their mistake I don’t see why I should do all the ‘work’.

The person them transferred my chat to another person called ‘Ronaldo’ (wondered if it was the footballer doing some moonlighting :D ), possibly a supervisor, who eventually decided to issue me with a ‘promotional credit’ to my account if I let the early charge stand, which I did.

It took almost 30 minutes of online chat with the two people to resolve it to my satisfaction, so I hope they don’t try and charge me again on dispatch in May. :roll:
Well, John, complaining and making your case clear is time intensive these days - especially when you're in the right...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Wolfgang wrote:..complaining and making your case clear is time intensive these days - especially when you're in the right...
I couldn't agree more Wolfgang!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

According to the Telegraph, the ten most irritating phrases are:

1. At the end of the day
2. Fairly unique
3. I personally
4. At this moment in time
5. With all due respect
6. Absolutely
7. It’s a nightmare
8. Shouldn’t of
9. 24/7
10. It’s not rocket science

An interesting list. Comments, please.

My own pet hate is the overuse of the word ABSOLUTELY. It seems that people can’t open their mouths without it tripping off their tongues. So annoying! :evil:
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 18 Apr 2020, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

No. 8 "shouldn't of". Gets my blood pressure up every time. :evil:

I'm particularly annoyed if it is used by TV presenters. I can just about accept it being used by ordinary people on Facebook etc., but I feel that people who are paid to be in the public domain should at least have a proper command of the English language.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"Shouldn't of" is wrong but it's more noticeable in writing than in speech. After all, "shouldn't of" and "shouldn't've" sound very similar in many (though by no means all) accents.

I don't mind most of the other words and phrases on the list, though "fairly unique" reminds me of the lyrics "a little bit terrified" in Total Eclipse of the Heart!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think "basically" has been over-used in the past. Also, rather like "shouldn't of" I don't like "bored of", as I grew up with the idea it should be "bored with". "Unique" is often used wrongly as well.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:"Shouldn't of" is wrong but it's more noticeable in writing than in speech. After all, "shouldn't of" and "shouldn't've" sound very similar in many (though by no means all) accents.
Absolutely (sorry Eddie :wink: ).
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Eddie Muir wrote: My own pet hate is the overuse of the word ABSOLUTELY. It seems that people can’t open their mouths without it tripping off their tongues. So annoying! :evil:
Absolutely! :twisted: (I do use it myself, but I try not to overuse it, probably not very successfully.)

My dad had a colleague years ago at one of the schools where he taught, a formidable lady (may have been the principal, or at least the deputy principal) who regularly used the phrase "With all due respect..." — quite clearly meaning "With NO respect whatsoever"!! :wink:
Anita Bensoussane wrote: I don't mind most of the other words and phrases on the list, though "fairly unique" reminds me of the lyrics "a little bit terrified" in Total Eclipse of the Heart!
"... and then I see the look in your eyes..." :shock: :wink: (never did understand that song, but it's catchy)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Could of, would of, should of... these all make me very annoyed! Unfortunately they are so common I've no doubt that they will soon be considered a viable alternative.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

'al fresco' ,'for my sins' , 'chocolate box cottage' drives me nuts.. wish I could be more tolerant like Nigel! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member